Thread: Warehouses or better: Crafting Station Storage Capacity?

Necarus

Default Warehouses or better: Crafting Station Storage Capacity?

Firstly the reasons for these suggestions:[*]People, in general, don't like to look at silo farms.[*]People don't like to click on 20 silo's to look for their desired item.[*]Limiting arm injury due to overclicking [;)][*]Decreasing lag in highly developed areas.[*][/list]
    The suggestions:[*]Bringing in warehouses would limit the much hated silo farms of Istaria. Give them the same storage to area ratio as silo's have.Or better yet, give Crafting Stations appropriate storage capacity eliminating the need for warehouse farms. [:D] (Warehouses or Crafting Stations would hold more then 1 item) [/list][*]A beginner crafting station would give the same storage capacity as 3 tier I silo's for instance, 6 tier I silo's for journeyman and 9 tier I silo's for expert. (Preferably the capacity should be smaller then tier I silo's and a higher item limit like 6, 10, 14)[/list][*]A Beginner Warehouse would have the same capacity as 10 tier I silo's, as well as the same or less building area.[/list][*] Keep silo's ingame (they are nice in small numbers) but limited to liquids and grains or similar resources.[/list]

Default Re: Warehouses or better: Crafting Station Storage Capacity?

People can do whatever they want with their plots. Who are you to say that they shouldn't be able to have a silo farm?

Warehousing will get just as ugly.

You are losing sight of the fact that they are trying to Minimize the amount of stuff we hoard, not Maximize it. Every bit of extra storage a character has increases the size of the database. Bigger database, more computer storage cost and more lag.

Necarus

You could be right Senkeleron, I don't know how much lag a silo causes but maybe 10 silo's cause more lag then 1 Warehouse. However, adding storage to Crafting Stations will definately decrease lag because there is no need to build silo's (or as many silo's). Also there wouldn't be an increase in database use since the replacement for the silo's will have equal storage capacity.

So the only thing this would do is limit the ammount of silo's, give easier accessability, an extra option for people that don't like silo farms and possibly a slight decrease in lag.

Unfortunately, a person who is going to build silos will build them anyway. So adding space to all the shops just adds space to the database. It isn't going to decrease the database space at all. It isn't going to cause any limit on the amount of silos. You can put 6 even tiered silos in the same spot as one blacksmith shop. I would love space added to all the shops, but I don't think it is going to have much of an effect on the number of silos.

If a warehouse had the same footprint as 20 silos held the same amount of stuff as 20 silos, and took as much effort to build as 20 sillosthen game wise I don't see what the problem is. It ought to be EASY for them to make itso itisn'tnearly as hard on my machine as 20 silos so it would be a big plus as far as I"m concerned. To me the only real issue is whether it's better for them to take the time to implement such a thing, or if their time could be better spent elsewhere. Only they can answer that question.

If there aren't enough people with 20 silos to justify something like this, make it equivalent to 10 silos. If you were only going to put up 10 silos there you are, if you were going to put up 20 thenbuild 2 warehouses.

Perhaps they should give a slight discount to people who go this route to encourage them to do it (and thus reduce lag). Maybe make it so a warehouse takes 20% less effort to build then the equivalent number of silos due to economies of scale.

It may not look a whole lot better then 20 silos but it can't look any worse and it would almost certainly help with lag.

I would guess that a single silo causes about as much lag as a single tree or a single jack-o-lantern.

Add underground silos!

When it comes to lag it is much less time consuming to just load *one* warehouse model than having to query the database for 20 silos and their placement on a plot.

Less objects to load.
    Less memory taken up.
    Higher framerate (even if only slightly).
    Much friendlier on slower connection speeds.

Silos are designed to encourage players to stockpile processed resources.

Unfortunately there is no way to restrict the type of resource that is placed into a storage structure.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Senkeleron Fell
    You are losing sight of the fact that they are trying to Minimize the amount of stuff we hoard, not Maximize it. Every bit of extra storage a character has increases the size of the database. Bigger database, more computer storage cost and more lag.
    And yet, everyone and their brother is drooling at the thought of Libraries...

Necarus

Quote Originally Posted by Amon Gwareth
    Silos are designed to encourage players to stockpile processed resources.

Unfortunately there is no way to restrict the type of resource that is placed into a storage structure.
    Hmm ok, so it's possible to store bricks in a confectionary and food in a sawmill.

Is this really a problem though Amon? Limiting the shops with an item limit of let's say 3 for beginner shops, 6 for journeyman, 9 for expert and 12 for Master. Those numbers immho can't be a problem especially since they are, at least to some extent, replacing silo's.

I like the idea of storage in the shop itself of things that are appropriate for the shop. I like the idea of a warehouse (just for something else to look at) but would probably not use one myself. I guess I'm not as organized as some people. I have a property with 17 silos (I thinK) but they are spread out around the outside walls of core buildings -not all in one block.

Personally I think it'd be a great idea if implemented properly ie the removal of silos from the plot options. Let people who have them allready keep them if they want but have the warehouse option there for all the reasons allready stated. For the trade shop idea I'm not sure I'm for that one only because of the database issues. The only way to have that change would be to have that idea replace silos and warehouses but then you would'nt have the same space to storage as realistically you'd want to limit them to only being able to hold the resources that are used inside it. It could work but it would be alot more difficult to make work for that reason I think.
    60% Achiever
    46% Socializer
    46% Explorer
    46% Killer
    Redo the loot tables and bring on the undead hordes! (*Hands Nimk a Beer)

I like the idea to replace the silo with a warehouse (hopefully they be prettyer then the human house which are more looking like warehouse then house), but the issue is whith the amount of silo to replace, and you don't want to make them impossible to build. That is why you would need small (6), medium (9), large (12) & huge (15). Of course this is in no way helping the size of the database, but it would help the diplay to load 1 graphic versus 6-15 forms.and I would go 1 floor for beginner, 2 floor for junior and 3 floor for expert type building. and if the design could reflect the type material use it be cool.

Note: This fact is currently lacking, even if the building are build with different material they all look (color, skin) the same. I build an expertstoneshop, why don't I see marble versus drab grey stone. Just a taugth.
    Nalrach, Healer & Guardian, Member of the "Iron Circle" guild
    Ramti, Friendly draggy trying to wake-up from long nap.

Thread Information