Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A petition regarding a unique recognition.

Default Re: A petition regarding a unique recognition.

I've fought alongside Carinde many times after our shards merged and cannot think of someone more deserving of such an honor either.

I've never had the joy of meeting her personally, even though I've heard her name thrown around since the early days of Dawn, and heard many tales of her skill and valor. My signature goes behind this proposal 100%.
    kitty: 48 Mage 22 Healer + others
    80 MIN 65 GTH 69 TNK 70 MSN 55 SPL
    41 BLK 41 SCH 47 CRP 38 JWL + others
    dragon: 91 adv, 100 craft, 22 lair
    elf: 49 ELAR, 31 Healer, 51 Fitter + others

Rammi

I mean no offense against the subject of this petition or her friends attempting to gain her a title, but for practical reasons I am strongly opposed. Special titles/emblems/endowments, etc... should be available to all, as the direct result of gameplay, not due to popularity contests. With that in mind, I respectfully vote NO.

Rammi, while I respect your right to vote your dissent to this honor, there was no need to lock your reply in a vain attempt to prevent others from expressing their views.
    Before you criticize anyone, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you criticize him, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have his shoes.

Dunno if its fair to assume the lock was intentional. I've accidently checked that box more times then I'd be willing to admit. [:S]
    PersonalJustice the Demon Slayer - Chaos

Master Crafter: 1900 Levels

WTB Undead Legions. Paying $12.95/month

Rammi

you are correct, PJ. The "lock" was unintentional. But I see now that dissenting views are not met well here. My appologies.

Quote Originally Posted by Rammi
    you are correct, PJ. The "lock" was unintentional. But I see now that dissenting views are not met well here. My appologies.
    No, it's not that dissenting views are unwelcome, it's that locking a thread so that others can't reply is...and as it was an accident, it was a misunderstanding...

Sheesh, methinks some of the people around here need to grow thicker skins...
    Death is the ultimate dilemma and integral to the beliefs and behavior of every culture. Life is bore on the corpses of the dead. Without death, there would be no motivation to do anything. The only emotion would be existing. Life would be pestilent and agonizing.

Ssilmath Torshak
    Paladin of Kass, Master Armorsmith

We can't all be Sslik, Ssilmath [H]

Rammi

Quote Originally Posted by Ssilmath
    No, it's not that dissenting views are unwelcome, it's that locking a thread so that others can't reply is...and as it was an accident, it was a misunderstanding...

Sheesh, methinks some of the people around here need to grow thicker skins...
    How did it prevent anyone from replying? He replied right after my post. And thank you for the personal attack, thus proving my point.

It doesn't prevent replies to the thread. But when you check the box, your post specifically can't be replied to. Which creates the impression to most people that the thread is locked. Also, locking your post to replies, puts the "locked post" icon on the thread in the forums.

A very eloquent petition. I am glad that my friend and guild mate ToGath gives his endorsement to one whom I have never met. But, I too, cast a NAY vote to this petition, for the same reasons stated earlier.

Titles need to be available to all, if they wish to earn them.

Titles need to be available to Duskael and Naka-duskael alike.

There are MANY players who have been active and making contributions to the realm since beta and release; who have weathered the destruction of our home worlds to continue here in Order; who have lead, inspired, died, sacrificed for others. They too are deserving of recognition. We are all Istarians and we all do our best for the land, our communities, and our families.

I do notwish to diminish her accomplishments. In fact, I would not mind attending a roast for the Esteemed One. I would even fire off fireworks in her honor. We could even name a bridge or outpost in her honor . . . . but no special titles -- for anyone -- please.

REjoice in the fond regard of your comrads, Dear Lady *bows respectfully*

I am sincerely yours,

Icabald Percival Dragon
    Proud Co-Guild Master of Elder Spirits
    Estatic Mate to Aether "Brace" Percival
    Formerly of Spirit, Proudly of Order

Well, this is just one accolade.

There are obviously others who are also worthy of recognition, and hopefully, someone will be kind enough to open a nomination for them as well.

Erus Ex Universitas -- Erus Ex Istaria Guild Home

1. Fix what is broken. -- 2. Finish what is not complete. -- 3. Start something new.

well, there are others who've already gotten special emblems who were also deserving.
    khan azure, the patriarch and someone (my apologies) who solo'd son of gigaroth.

i agree.. LOTS of people have weathered the storms. but anyone who knows carinde, IMO, would feel that she deserves such an honor.

My apologies, Rammi, for thinking you deliberately locked your post. As previously pointed out, posters have done that in the past to create the impression that the entire thread has been locked precluding further posts.

Your opinion is certainly welcome, but I think you should know that the honorific petitioned for here is certainly not without precedent. After the pre-merge "Free the Dryads" event, the devs bestowed the title of "Envoy of Aubradine" upon one person on each shard. Typically, the title was given to the player who spoke the last incantation freeing the dryads, but on Dawn that player declined the honor and instead requested that it be given to Berelein, whom all agreed had done the most hard work during the event.

And no, this isn't some popularity contest, but rather a recognition of Carinde's incredible talents not only as a warrior (the last I looked her rating was 217), but her tactical abilities as well. As but one illustration, many of us suffered tons of death points trying to fight the major boss (whose name I forget) guarding the Novo. Carinde was the one who came up with the specific tactics we ended up using to defeat that bastage.

So even absent her kind and generous heart--which has endeared her to all who are fortunate to cross her path, in my view Carinde would merit this recognition based solely and only on her skills.
    Before you criticize anyone, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you criticize him, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have his shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Britt Tigahare

It is with the final thought that I urge the "powers that be" to give Carinde recognition for her efforts. I believe she deserves this more than those I have heard who also have received recognition for something else. If you don't, feel the wrath of the big blue dragon![img]/Web//emoticons/emotion-39.gif[/img]
    Hmm, I do not believe I have heard of anyone recieving an Istaria/Order recognition of any kind. If there is one, please let me know.

I for one do not believe this is good precedent to allow anyone - No matter their accomplishments - to recieve a special honor. There MAY be others that also deserve just as much recoginition. There are also others, that for some reason have not leveled to the high level as Carinde but may eventually. Only because of the time in game or for what ever reason.

I shall be giving a Nay vote. Not because I feel that she does not deserve it, She probably does,but because no one should be elevated above anyone else in this GAME.

Nope definetly not good policy to give certain people recognition, BUT congratz Carinde. It is definetly an honor to be recognized on these forums for any accomplishment. Sounds like you and I need to meet. How about the PvP arena?
    :)

Hurricane Jayne
    Lady of Pain

The Envoy of Aubadrine honorific was offerred to Sapphire Sniper and Moleni Truespirit. Sapphire accepted it with Moleni's blessing.

GrizzleRot guarded the Novo.

She also did quite a bit against Nazderon, too.

Your friendly neighborhood fact-Dragon . [:)]

1. Fix what is broken. -- 2. Finish what is not complete. -- 3. Start something new.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoberton
    I for one do not believe this is good precedent to allow anyone - No matter their accomplishments - to recieve a special honor. There MAY be others that also deserve just as much recoginition. There are also others, that for some reason have not leveled to the high level as Carinde but may eventually. Only because of the time in game or for what ever reason.
    So, nominate more people whom you think have done much for the game/shard.

To be honest, it is unlikely Tulga is going to be giving out any such titles anyway, but it is the thought that counts.

Personally, I think we ought to have a "Hall of Heroes" thread (or series of threads), where such nominations are made, singing their praises in bardic voice, bestowing our own accolade to the person(s) in question, whether or not it actually appears beside their name in-game is irrelevant. If people think of them that way, then text on a screen is nothing short of redundant.

As happy as I am to see this nomination, I had an unfortunate feeling that this would happen. I had hoped that this would not become an argument of whether I should be placed higher on the list of "important people", valued more than another, or that I should get some special recognition for a number placed underneath my name (adventure rating), and while the intent of this entire subject was never that to begin with, I see that it has unfortunately gone down to just that.

I truly appreciate the kind and sincere words that many have stated here about things that I have done, and knowing that many of you remember things from so long ago brings a wonderful smile to my face. However, I can see that this is stirring up some frustrations, and I would prefer not to be a part of that. There are more than enough things in this world for us to fight about; deciding if I should receive a title should not be one of them.

To those that disagree with the original intent of this topic, I understand and respect your views, and hopefully all will have an opportunity to be recognized in some form or fashion in time. (The Hall of Heroes is a very nice idea). To the others who agree with this topic, I thank you again what you have said, in-game or here. Just knowing how you all feel is more than enough. As I have said since I began life in Istaria, I do what I can, and will continue to do so, regardless of recognition for anything that I have or will do.
    Carinde "Demigoddess" Ryder
    Citizen of Order, Axe & Anvil Guild

Whether or not Carinde ever receives the honorific she has truly earned and deserves, she will always bemy Commander.

Thread Information