Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Military appreciation

Default Re: Military appreciation

Quote Originally Posted by Tribunal
    Yes but as unfair as this is, I will look beyond that and try to remember that while whatever reason our military is fighting for us, no matter how we think they are being "used" *I use that lightly because it sounds bad, and any people will acutally take that seriously*. I think its great.
    Correction, *your* military fighting for *you*
    Horizons isn't USA only. It's an international game, and the NA shard host more than just US players (Canada, Mexico, and the others countries acccessing the NA shards).
    Dragon Lairs: Istaria's ghetto

Quote Originally Posted by Dragoniade
    [img]/Web/Themes/Generic/images/icon-quote.gif[/img]Tribunal wrote:
    Yes but as unfair as this is, I will look beyond that and try to remember that while whatever reason our military is fighting for us, no matter how we think they are being "used" *I use that lightly because it sounds bad, and any people will acutally take that seriously*. I think its great.

Tribunal's usage is correct, as he is a US citizen referring to the US military.

I think this program is a great idea and I hope it gets good news coverage. This is a lot more significant than EQ's /pizza command; it deserves at least as much coverage.
    Klaus Wulfenbach
    Mithril Council, Chaos
    "Death is fleeting. Pride is forever."

"Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it."-- Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Dragoniade
    Horizons isn't USA only. It's an international game, and the NA shard host more than just US players (Canada, Mexico, and the others countries acccessing the NA shards).
    [Y] Exactly my thoughts.It doesn't stop with connecting/border countries to the US either, several play on NA shards from Australia, UK, and other European countries.

Apromotion that doesn't exclude people might have gotten a better response and an attaboy from those of us OUTSIDE the USA.
    Arirabeth Quickfingers
    Shaliwyn Whisperwing
    Arydun Wyr`Thalu
    ~Mystic Blades~ Order
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss
    Damnit Jim! I'm a gnome not a lemming!

Wailer

While it's a nice gesture Otter, let's keep things in perspective.. Hz CD Keys are free. You can download the trial and are given a free account. This offer is giving players who use a .mil address a second key. This is a gesture, however small, in thanks... It's also a substantial PR move but I think any gesture, no matter the size, is a kind thing. Let's not inflate this to more than it is. It costs Tulga nothing to do this. It is a simple recognition of service and a small thank you.

Having a Horizons CD-key added to your account, is akin to having a 2nd paid account. Twice the plots, twice the character slots, twice the allowable logged in characters.

Were I to add a CD-key to my account, it would cost me another 12.95 a month.
    PersonalJustice the Demon Slayer - Chaos

Master Crafter: 1900 Levels

WTB Undead Legions. Paying $12.95/month

Quote Originally Posted by Tokoz
    Frat,
    The emails supposedly go out at midnight Arizona time.
    Thanks, Ill watch for it tomorrow then...
    Elated that HZ is no longer in the hands of the Infidels.

Now.. I may have to split my time between 2 games... CS:S and HZ...

Zchronox

military personnel and families will have a second CD key added to the account for free.

Nice Tulga[Y][Y][Y][Y][B]

Regards

Z

Quote Originally Posted by Yuusuke Akiyama IV
    [img]/Web/Themes/default/images/icon-quote.gif[/img]HAG wrote:LOL, such thing can only happen in America.

Sorry folks, but we in "Good Ole Germany"... <snip>
    > Maybe a word in the ear of GN could get something similar for the BRD troopies ...
    > Some of us know your countrymen are in it, too.
    First: The mere fact that my original post was censored, shows that i'm right. It's not allowed to raise the voice against the deification of President and Army in America.
    (@Peaches, open your mind and don't delete it again, thx)

That wasn't my point. I'm just asking why they get such bonuses, in a time where Tulga doesn't even earn money. All of the so called "troopies" chose to serve in the army, think noone forced them. And they are getting paid for that job - like every1 of us, doing "normal" business.

So i think it's unfair to privilege one group of "workers" for doing nothing but their job.
    Period

PS: I'm no pacifistic military-hater or such. My brother is policeman and a very good friend is in BRD-Army (currently stationed in El Paso, Tex).

I agree with hagen, from my french point of view this sounds very caricatural, never forget that without the ones who stay at home, no military can do its job and aren't US military all volunteers ?
    No offense to military or whatever meant, i am not pacifistat allbut it is really funny from europe reading such things, seems like making fun of military in US is same as making fun of Islam in Iran.
    Ishar Xhaan => Ishar_Wind Xhaan => Imrryr Xhaan Lunus Destroyer
    and his biped slave KalTorak XhaanSlave Ice Disciple
    == Ancient Order Of Istarian Knights ==

In all honesty, if Tulga wants to give away money, why not donate a % to the Katrina Relief Fund.

I think that would draw a lot more PR than US military only. <shrugs>
    Arirabeth Quickfingers
    Shaliwyn Whisperwing
    Arydun Wyr`Thalu
    ~Mystic Blades~ Order
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

Its easy for us to make suggestions as to what Tulga or any gaming company *should* do, but in all actuality, its their choice of what they want to do. I highly approve of what they are doing to take an extra step to help the military families.

Thank you again Tulga, and no, I don't benefit from this, as none of my family is military.

Correction: US military families.

It's exclusive and doesn't include those who are military in other countries. How supportive would people be if it was only offered to UK military or German military?
    Arirabeth Quickfingers
    Shaliwyn Whisperwing
    Arydun Wyr`Thalu
    ~Mystic Blades~ Order

These posts are getting ridiculous. TG has decided to do something for whatever reason they want, you don't have to like it, but lets stop the hatred in this thread.

It could be a marketting/advertising ploy, and a way to increase subscriptions. It could be sympathy that TG feels towards the soldiers, it could be a tax break.

Quote Originally Posted by AA0
    These posts are getting ridiculous. TG has decided to do something for whatever reason they want, you don't have to like it, but lets stop the hatred in this thread.

It could be a marketting/advertising ploy, and a way to increase subscriptions. It could be sympathy that TG feels towards the soldiers, it could be a tax break.
    I hear ya AAO. And if it is a Tax break, that is all the more reason I should tell my mil buddies to sign up. The more of us that play, the less Tulga would have to pay in Taxes, the more money that can go to development.

And yes, it is a job, yes for the most part we all volunteered (there are those families where it is expected and demanded). Most jobs dont send you to the world's largest speed bump (Korean DMZ) for a year though. Or to the sandbox. So in some ways it is like any other job, in some ways it isnt. I know should I get sent for a year tour in Korea (couldnt take my family if I have one at that point) this would be a nice way to keep in touch. Or if I ended up having to do one of the remotes in the sandbox (not a deployment, 2 different things). Most jobs you can take your family with you. Military jobs you cant always do so.

Do I think this sort of thing should just be restricted to US? Nah, I think any military ought to be able to get it. But Tulga can only verify US military. If GN wanted to set something up, then great, I doubt Tulga would have a problem with it. Do I think it should be more of aperk to those who volunteer to put their lives on the line (read Police and Fire in there too) as opposed to those who were forced because they turned a certain age? You betcha.
    Denrath, Lunus Ancient of Order

Aye, therein lies the main difference between military and most jobs...It's not that we put our lives on the line more than others...It's the seperation from family for long periods of time...Personally, since I don't have a family to be seperated from, I won't be putting taking advantage of this...But seeing the effect of having their wives deployed to Iraqon some of the people in my shop, I wish I could tell them to go ahead and get this game (They aren't gamers)...An MMO is far easier to talk to someone with than the phone over there...

The assumption here is that military are given this privilege because of the dangers we put ourselves in...I don't think that is the case...There are others who go on long trips, but military is the largest and easiest to authenticate, and generally the longest too (One years to Korea are no joke)
    Death is the ultimate dilemma and integral to the beliefs and behavior of every culture. Life is bore on the corpses of the dead. Without death, there would be no motivation to do anything. The only emotion would be existing. Life would be pestilent and agonizing.

Ssilmath Torshak
    Paladin of Kass, Master Armorsmith

It seems that certain people are forgetting the forum rules when speaking about this topic. Something may provoke strong feelings, but please always take the forum rules into consideration. Ultimately, insulting other forum visitors, either individually or as a group is unacceptable.

I'm going to repeat my earlier post, just in case the posters missed it by not reading the entire thread:

"This is just the first program that we are offering. We chose the .mil approach because we don't want to be in the role of verifying military participation, we just want to make it easier for military families. I was born on a military base in the middle of nowhere near Death Valley, and if there is anything I can do for military families, I'll do it.

To anybody who is a member of the military who does not want to use their .mil address, that is fine with us. We just couldn't come up with another way to get this done without further delays. Contact us and we'll work with you.

I also spent over two years in Ecuador with the Peace Corps, and I realize there are other ways that people have chosen to contribute to their countries. And, Horizons is an international product, with players from around the world. If we can find ways to create programs for the families of others who have contributed to their countries, we will."
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, if anybody can propose a method of email verification for any voluntary organization which results in separation of families for long periods of time, in any country that Chaos, Order and Blight are accessible, then propose it here.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    For the cynics (I consider myself to be very wary, but not yet cynical), Horizons might benefit from added publicity surrounding this decision, it might not. I hope it does, because I'd like toaccelerate growing Horizons. That is not the motivation for this decision. Games CAN BE complete time-wasting, anti-social, isolating experiences, but they can also bring people from around the world together... I want to facilitate that positive effect. We don't have four million subscribers, we can't afford to do many things outside of "work on improving the game". But we can afford to do this one thing, and hope it is not exploited to hurt Horizons. I mentioned Peace Corps, my wife was in Canadian Crossroads, and I know there are many other programs that are voluntary, that separate families and that are international... I just need to know how to verify participation within our resources. Help me expand and improve this, please don't try to sully it.

Very sincerely,

David Bowman
    CEO and non-owner
    Tulga Games, LLC
    David Bowman

I'm not cynical, perhaps skeptical is a better choice of words.

If this is the first program you are offering, but you're asking for suggestions on how to include other organizations for future programs..what other programs do you have slated if you are asking us how to tell you how to verify participation?

Arirabeth Quickfingers
    Shaliwyn Whisperwing
    Arydun Wyr`Thalu
    ~Mystic Blades~ Order

Very cool, Mr. Bowman. Very cool.

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."
    - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by David Bowman
    Now, if anybody can propose a method of email verification for any voluntary organization which results in separation of families for long periods of time, in any country that Chaos, Order and Blight are accessible, then propose it here.
    First of all, I was in the U.S. Navy and sometimes there is NO separation and the pay/benefits/working package isnice (well, approximately 1/2 the time). Yes there are periods of separation, but it is rather hard to play a MMOG on a ship or submarine or remote location. And yes, unfortunately, there could be periods where military members could play games while on duty (than go to their nearby home, with family or not).

So such a program should be made available to all subscribers while in a "voluntary organization" for pay or not AND ("which")during that period of "separation of families for long periods of time" . . . .rather had to do. Many assignments last from 1 to 6 months, so there should also be a periodic verification program.

The easiest way is to provide an e-mail address fordocuments, such as copies of military orders (with confidential aspects blackened) or participation in a "separation from families" "voluntary organization"to be scanned and sent as a .gif file. As for the "separation" aspect . . . . that would be difficult.

Sounds like a lot of manpower, or some contractor, to ensure the integrity of this system.
    Jaraiden -- Adult dragon, life mate of Shadowwalker, bonded 7/31/04 (Dawn --> Order)
    Adult 73/82 | hatchling 56/65 (70.8 days) [3/9/04 to 3/4/05, 4/12/06 to 4/13/07, Current]

1. Fix what is broken. -- 2. Finish what is incomplete. -- 3. Add to complement lore.

Thread Information