Thread: Name Policy - Anyone else notice an issue?

Blog Entries

Default Name Policy - Anyone else notice an issue?

I was talking to a friend and even a few people brought up that recently we got some new players coming in with some odd names on F2P accounts including names that hint at very disturbing to rated M level.

I've heard about a few, haven't seen expect maybe one when I've been around NT, and including a few people who are being just also a tad bit rude.

I am just wondering if there is anything as players that can be done regarding this and even I had someone ask me if there was away to report a few due to the Order's Name policy, since I know, as many players know, we as the Order server, have our own rules and guidelines.

So, perhaps even the devs can fill us in what we should do about those who break the rules on our server and if the devs are even aware of this.

Sorry if my post also sounds choppy, kinda writing this on the spur of the moment due to Real Life activities.

Default Re: Name Policy - Anyone else notice an issue?

You (or anyone observing conduct violations) should report those violations in a support ticket. Though, read the rules of conduct carefully before doing so and try to identify the specific rule being violated.

Some behavior, while extremely abrasive, is not against the rules of conduct.
    You can get anything you want in life -- just make a lot of noise and bite the right people.

And the Order Server, as an RP server, definitely has an official-server-naming policy.

So if you see names violating this you definitely can report them on a ticket!
    Frith-Rae BridgeSol
    Great Elder of Keir Chet K'Eilerten
    Iea has returned.

Reading this has made me wonder if it might be related to another issue. About a week ago I recieved a Private Message...thetype that would normally be shifted to the spam folder and or just outright deleted. I'm definately not looking for a date.
    Spirit Brothers
    Aaelefein - Foremost a Grand Master Crafter, also a Paladin/Healer/Druid/Mage/Spiritist
    Treyvan - Adult Dragon 100A/100DC/100LS/95CS
    Skandrannon - Growing and Expert Dragon Crafter

oh dear

You mean like an actual "spam" message you see in other games in public channels (ala Wow Gold farmers and such? Go to blahblabhlah website for blahblahblah).

If so you definiltey need to ticket that!! It could mean that goldfarmers/hackers etc have found us and if that's true the the devs need to know before people's stuff start getting hacked (not sure why but hey..).

If you mean some rather suggestive PM from someone looking for something you aren't offering. I'd tell them its inappropriate and if they ddin't stop then I'd report/ticket and then /ignore..heh.

But if its like spam whispers/in say then definitely ticket!! Ugg, I hope that doesn't get started here. Spam in other games is sooo annoying.
    Frith-Rae BridgeSol
    Iea has returned.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Frith-Rae View Post
    oh dear

You mean like an actual "spam" message you see in other games in public channels (ala Wow Gold farmers and such? Go to blahblabhlah website for blahblahblah).

If so you definiltey need to ticket that!! It could mean that goldfarmers/hackers etc have found us and if that's true the the devs need to know before people's stuff start getting hacked (not sure why but hey..).

If you mean some rather suggestive PM from someone looking for something you aren't offering. I'd tell them its inappropriate and if they ddin't stop then I'd report/ticket and then /ignore..heh.

But if its like spam whispers/in say then definitely ticket!! Ugg, I hope that doesn't get started here. Spam in other games is sooo annoying.
    It also sadly comes with the territory of becoming to popular as well.

On the subject of the naming policy, I have seen quite a few people with some outright rip offs of certain characters in books and such. I am going to start reporting if it gets really bad.
    One thing I always hate though is being the 'bad' guy in this case, always why I am hesitant.

On the subject of the spam. Thankfully people arn't going to be so attracted to istaria for spamming messages for selling gold and the like. Due to the fact that its practically useless in game. One thing that this game has over all others, our community supports itself and each other, leaving no room for such spammers.

Don't feel bad for reporting names like that Star - if they bother to read Order's rules they'd realize they ran the risk of such an issue when they created the characters.

Though I do make sure I know its a direct ripoff from a book character or whatever(like say Drahkula or Fizzstandulus) rather than something that could be pulled off even if its a RL name of someone.

I know a couple of people have thought that my dragon's name came from Watership Down (Sun God is Frith-Ra). When actually I totally didn't even see it when I created her! It actually came from random words (not a name!) in the draconian language in the Rhapsody Book series that just happens to be almost exactly the name of the Sun-God in Watership Down.

Can't belive I missed it actually, I love that book...

Since I'm an avid reader I tend to let it go if its something more..."rare" like that; as opposed to "Bilboe"
    Frith-Rae BridgeSol
    Iea has returned.

What about my character's name, "LungTien Temeraire"?

Quote Originally Posted by LungTien Temeraire View Post
    If I am not mistaken it is a bit Chinese and has something to do with their serpent dragons but that is just my guess.

I prefer to go with a word that fits my character's theme but is in a different language myself...Such as Shinkuu Akagan here lol.

Zarla on the other hand is just a name that stuck in my mind...I do not recall a Dragoness by the name so that is what I went with.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinkuu View Post
    If I am not mistaken it is a bit Chinese and has something to do with their serpent dragons but that is just my guess.
    Temeraire is a celestial dragon from the N. Novik books. About "LungTien", in these books, the Chineses are calling each celestial dragon by the breed name "Lung Tien" ("Dragon Celestial" in chinese). The dragon's own name comes in third.

Blog Entries

Names from Books don't bother me to much, cause I know for a fact I've created character names I thought were original, to only find out they are from a book or game.. or something else used that name.

My biggest headache are names like:
    Eviiiillll
    General Sword
    Chickenrunner

Stuff like that. It is just obvious they are not even trying to make up a name and just do something off the wall.

Quote Originally Posted by LungTien Temeraire View Post
    I believe it's unacceptable.
    "Ohoh...someone is actually trying to sell something, I see an attunement coming. LOL" - Teto Frum

Unhappy Re: Name Policy - Anyone else notice an issue?

Quote Originally Posted by Xoshara View Post
    I believe it's unacceptable.
    But, what about DharSii, AuRel, RuGaard (names coming from the Age of Fire series), and some others? I think it is strange, as I remind, you are the only one in this community (devs or players), until now, telling me my character's name isn't acceptable.

Closing out this thread, which I should have done a few posts ago. It's deteriorating to being personal, not a discussion of an issue.

Naming violations can be submitted to support as per our usual policy... and it is the customer service team that will determine if a particular name needs to be changed.

Thread Information