Ever noticed this?

Even though it was not Istaria that inspired this rant, I'm putting it under "Istaria Style" because this actually does apply to Istaria too, from what I've seen during the last 2-3 weeks.

Ever noticed how, when the devs go to make a change, the first people to stand up and go "Noooo!!!" are the so-called "Elite" players of any MMORPG?

What inspired this rant, is another certain MMORPG is about to release a huge Expansion, and to prep the game for that Expansion, they recently released a patch that made several changes necessary for said expansion coming up.

The people who complained the hardest, were the most elite. They complained that they no longer had X ability, that they no longer could do X, Y, Z and get away with it, etc. The whole patch made things harder which is exactly what the so-called Elites were complaining about: The game being too easy.

Well, they made the game harder, now "Elites" are going "I quit, because I can't X, Y, Z". Or "I quit, because I'm not good enough to know how to re-learn a new mechanic for my character", or whatever other stupid reason they have for quitting.

Anyways, that got me thinking to Istaria.

The Devs here said that the Satyr Isles need changing, because it is nearly impossible to make heads nor tails out of the spawns on those isles, and because debugging such spawns is nearly impossible. Right away, the "Elite" players go "noooo!!!!".

Who did I NOT hear complaining?

Your everyday, more casual player. The player who logs in, enjoys the game, and logs out, not claiming to be anybody great.

Then, the Devs said they wanted to move things around, they wanted Forms and Techs to drop from the WA/Undead if I recall, and the comps to drop from creatures. Then, the Elite Players go "Nooo! now I have no reason to hunt those! The game is too easy now!"

Who was Not complaining?

The Casuals.

Just like the aforementioned MMORPG, even when they were making the game *harder*, the casuals complained far less than the "Elites".

Now, Istaria is a little different, it doesn't have a 10mil+ sub count, but still, the same general concept applies.

Now, I know someone will point out my complaints. Let me clarify that before they even have time to type it:

I was never complaining about the proposed changes to the Satyr Isles or the loot changes. I was only re-iterating the reasons why I think this change is a good thing, and adding a couple other issues loosely related (targeting).

My main point here, is this:

Give the devs a chance before you click the "Quit" button. Honestly. If the casuals can buckle down and endure changes, surely the "Elite" players can do the same, especially if they act and claim to be so much better. Players who have attitudes in Istaria are much rarer than the other aforementioned game, but I have seen the "We're better than you are" in subtle ways, even in Istaria. Don't pretend it doesn't exist, because it does.

I won't name any names here, and I am not talking about anyone in particular, but I have gotten that vibe while browsing the forums, *especially* during the last couple weeks.