Thread: Bring back some of the exciting opponents of old

Default Bring back some of the exciting opponents of old

After merge I found myself passing many bare and empty sites where I had fought exciting battles in the past or that were just interesting and dangerous. When I walked by I often thought of those times and of what initially attracted my attention to them.

I think it was the unexpected - the little bitto be found with Istaria - and that now seems entirely gone. Each and every mob is neatly sorted according to area, type and rating. Some are known to have a named slightly better than the rest of their kind but that's it.

No chance you run into anything unexpected or dangerous any longer. Something that suddenly gives you a fright and that you most often want to avoid and cannot handle alone. Something thatwouldreally challenge your skills and that you would beproud of havingdefeated it in personal combat.

I think Istaria is really missing such dangers and much more of it now especially for new players that set out to explore the world and hope tofind something exciting.

I justremember about:

- The Fyakki Charmers that were sometimes stalking the area and road near Sslanis and the vulcano.They were 30th level druids which was at least unusual and at theirrating a good 10 levels abovethe rest of the mobs around. They also attracted some spider followers. No one was glad to meet one of them since their roots and lightning bolts were feared especially among the crafters on their way to the vulcano to get some slate. They were tough opponents and I never was more happy to have nature resistance and ward ready. Often someone called for help and people groupedup to get one killed and the road safe again for a while. The beast killed me often but it was alwaysanice battlenonetheless.

- The mummy stone circles near Sslanis. There were three stone circles around the vulcano being infested with mummies. Those hadwarriors, mages, clerics and even healers among themand a range from 21st to 25th level being a good 5 levels above the rest of the mobs. They weredangerous opponents especially due to their strong group aggro. Those mummy stone circlesand the zombies around them were very popular spotsfor demandinghunts much more than thestandard tiered mobs around. The interesting thing about them was that you could literally stumble oversomething much more dangerous in an otherwise very predictable countryside. You did not run into an extended green and blighted area first just to meet lots of mummies the tier and placeyou expect them to be.

- The Ashen Myloc stalking the area of the Slate, Iron and Silver Golems near Dralk. I think it was 30th level, too. Like the Fyakki Charmers it attacted some followers and wasmost oftenavoided by lone huntersdue to itsregrowth ability. I remember it surprised us often coming aroundthe corner in the middle of the lavapools and I had some really excting and often deadly battles there.

I hope the meaning of my descriptions has become clear by now. The same is true for the Spider Huntress, the Darkstalkers, the Mylocs, the Dwarven Taskmasters, the Werewolf Stormcallers and the werewolf narrow passin general.Last but not leastthis is also true for theAvatar of Pain. Many of those mobs weren't stationary and traveled quite some distance within the gaming world often to beencountered unexpected and at inappropriate times or during other battles. Not to mention myshock when I traveled near Mahagra during the Satyr events and met an 80th level Deathly Ogre together with a 60th level Wraith Overlord and a horde of Satyr Skeletons while walking around one of those pillars where the blighted sandstone had been.

Among all those neatly sorted mobs I really miss those opponents now andI would like to see much more of them. I also do not want to know where they are or what they are, as with those camped new boss mobs, but ratherhave them spawning and traveling randomly in a huge area attractingdifferent kinds of followers and calling out for new ones if those are killed.

- Narkano

Default Re: Bring back some of the exciting opponents of old

Well, I'd say they did a pretty good job on Lesser Aradoth with all the Aegis lieutenants wandering around. There's six of them and some of their patrol routes are quite long, bringing them to areas where they are above local mobs' levels... not to mention some of them bring their pals to the party. Then there's the Huntress too - though only one of them, I think. Also, the enraged treants can be a quick surprise to some who think all the treants are docile and won't attack. Same goes for the docile worker crawler / aggressive soldier crawler mix.

Beyond the wandering lieutenants there's a few places where one can run into sudden undead congregations outside of blights. The stone circle south of Kion on east coast, the metalworking compound near bronze mountain (a patrol route cuts through this), the ruined house with ghosts south of Kion volcano and the coastal route west of Sslanis. Finally, Upper Bridgeview can be a bad place to live as an undead patrol route - which is taken by the Lifetaker - skirts along the edge of the settlement.

Perhaps a few more little 'surprises' could've been hidden into the terrain, but if the above is indicative of how the world revamp will go on higher tiers, I think most of your wishes will be granted eventually. [:)]

Dragon adventurer 100 | Dragon crafter 100 | Dragon lairshaper 84

safaia

All you suggest would be a surprise when it comes into game. After a few weeks it is well known, but they still would be an improvement.
    I agree that it would be a good idea if things happen that noone expects. This would be an improvement to the mmorpg concept that exists today. Current mmorpg's are static worlds, changes are made only by devs, mobs don't act surprisingly, mobs stay in their areas.

The comeback ofnamed mobs that are wandering real huge areas with their allies would be one nice part.

How about this:
    Groups ofundead try to invade lover level areas like the skeletons near Sslanis do allready. But if they are wiped outtoo often they retreat the area and move to Koin or Parsinia or another town with T1 resources around. Sometimes they will flee to a blighted area to collect forces for a week or two.
    The same can be created for towns in higher level areas.
    So you never will know where the undead invasion shows up next week.

That ideaI like, Safaia. A lot of new games that are coming out(stalker, for example) have AI unscripted--they're given a basic list of wants and needs. They're territorial, they fight amongts themselves, they hunt for food etc. etc. Whole the latter two ideas probably wouldent work too well here, the basic list of wants, needs, territories I think would be pretty cool. Would be funny to see Hrantoth get bored, and start bugging the local wolves. Then a huge pack of wolves all pile on Hrantoth. Of course, since mobs arn't spawned if nobody is around, this would be even more difficult.

As for the WA, it might just work. WA is pushed off enough, they get discouraged and move away. Attack Parsinia instead of Sslanis. Or even go around and attack the other gate.
    Explorer 80%
    Killer 46%
    Achiever 40%
    Socializer 33%

Unexpected battles and attacks on towns/cities would be awesome. It would be cool if there was maybe a long term battle. Where the WA establish a camps outside a larger city and launch attacks every now and then an use different strategies...
    Istaria shall soon become overwellmed by the Undead hordes! Phinius

Thread Information