Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tonight's HOC Log

Default Tonight's HOC Log

Tonight’s log of the House of Commons Chat is now posted to Horizons Stratics. If you missed the HOC you can read all about it here http://hz.stratics.com/content/commu.../hoc052506.php

short but interesting

thx for posting it

Question based on one of the responses, though...

Calelena: *Aramat* With buildings being made more free-form, how will that affect specialized housing now in existence?
    Illyist-TG: Buildings being more free form will be new buildings. Like the last time we added to the buildable structure list we left the old buildings in with their functionality as it was, and added new ones to support the newer features.
    Illyist-TG: We'll do the same so that existing structures remain what they were when you chose to build them, and new ones will be available with the new feature.
    To me, this says that only brand new buildings, not yet available, will have the capability of adding furniture. No currently available building type, and no currently built structure (lairs excluded), will be able to accomodate furniture. Is this correct?

If so, every current guild community will remain stuck with a featureless barn on the master plot, as the master plot guild house cannot be deleted. I also don't really like the idea that current property owners will have a choice of keeping structures that have impaired functionality or tearing their plots down and rebuilding all over again.

Will the current structure models even be available in versions that CAN use furniture, etc, or are current owners of saris manors and fiendish large houses doomed to chronic minimalism if they really like those buildings?

Any clarification would be appreciated.
    Klaus Wulfenbach
    Mithril Council, Chaos
    "Death is fleeting. Pride is forever."

"Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it."-- Abraham Lincoln

In addition to Klaus' question - if old buildings MUST be torn down to take advantage of new construction models - will old novians be useful for new construction (ie dryad trees end up requiring special dryad building units simular to dragon lairshaping)?
    Putter'er of Crafts and Near Miss-Adventurer on Chaos
    Guild Leader - Council of War
    C.O.W. : "Milking the WA Daily....fear the cow"

Another question which there wasn't time to answer last night....

Will just dryad and dwarf characters be able to build the trees/tunnels? Or will all biped's be able to craft the new structures?

Anima

<waves!>

From the sound of it, current construction classes will be used for dryad and dorf homes. I've started prepairing for this by leveling up Enchanter, weaver and carpenter... I cant imagine a treehouse needing metal or stone.

As for furnature and other new features. Thats what it sounds like, the new structures will be the Bee's knees... Effectivly revitalizing the construction industry that we have. DOWN with the old... UP with the new!

A drag for some that spent weeks transmuting or gathering high tier resources to build a top of the line structure. On the bright side...we do have novians to help speed up that process.. you only lose 20% of your previous work. I foresee this having more positive effect than negative. Hopefully some of those silo farms will vanish and some communities will get a much needed facelift.

<Waves!>

Anima, there are at least two questions posited here that in my view need answers before we can collectively either jump for joy or leap off the next Istarian cliff:

1) Will furniture be placeable in existing structures (such as the vast and barren guildhalls)? If so, terrific! If not, then (a) we will have to tear down existing structures and build the new types (not so good, even with novians), and (b) those of us who own main guild plots are sunk since, as Laughing Otter pointed out, we cannot tear down preplaced guildhalls.

2) Can we use novians to build the new dryad treehouses and dwarven underground structures? If so, great! If not--if instead these structures will follow the same pattern as lairs with completely new intermediate and end units--then the dragon alt in me says UGH!
    Before you criticize anyone, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you criticize him, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have his shoes.

Anima

<waves!>

"Anima, there are at least two questions posited here that in my view need answers before we can collectively either jump for joy or leap off the next Istarian cliff:" - Tantalyr

I know I know... but we're getting NEW stuff! It's hard for me to NOT be chipper at the very prospect of game revitalizing material. Good questions by the way, ones that maynot even have answers yet. I guess only time will tell, that and the helpfull communication of a developer when they have the info and inclination to share it.

<Waves!>

Quote Originally Posted by Velea
    Another question which there wasn't time to answer last night....

Will just dryad and dwarf characters be able to build the trees/tunnels? Or will all biped's be able to craft the new structures?
    If you look in my thread about dryad trees you where see where they pointed to the FAQ about all races being able to build all the new structures. (apart from dragons but that should go with out saying.... but just saying in case.)

Smeglor - With the new furniture system, buildings will be considerably more freeform. Instead of selecting a building for its contents (such as machines/NPCs), your choice will be for appearance and space. You will then fill that space with the furniture, functional or otherwise, of your choice. You will still be limited to construction within your plot. "Claim jumping" isn't fun.
    the "Claim Jumping" thing kinda leapt out at me...

1: Put a time limit on how often people can buy / sell property to keep them from pillaging novians?

2: What is Smeglor's definition of "Claim Jumping?"

3: Unattune Novians? or allow novians to be applied to other properties?
    Justa Mirage: Ranger 100 / Healer 92 / Carpentry 100 / Confectioner 100 / Fletching 92 / Weaver 62 / Gatherer 34
    Flatspin: Ancient Lunus Dragon 100 / Craft 100 / Lairshaping 100

By claim jumping he probably means putting structures outside your plot boundaries, thereby "staking a claim" on that piece of land.
    You're looking at now. Everything that happens now is happening now.

Incessantly prodding Gezsera while getting rid of hibernation hangover.

Existing buildings will not be able to have furniture placed into them.

Dwarves and Dryads as well as other races can build the new structures. They are not race-restricted as lairs are with dragons. However, new communities will be added that are race-restricted (allowing only dryad trees, for example).
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

not very good for existing buildings

this forces you to delete old buildings (expecially old racial structures like fiend and saris houses with only bulk)

will this bulk be increased to balance their disadvantage if the expansion is released

Post deleted due to it being totally off topic.

*Peaches*
    Last edited by Peaches; May 27th, 2006 at 01:07 AM.
    Landowyn of Order
    The Steelworks
    Specializing in a little bit of everything

Quote Originally Posted by AmonGwareth

Dwarves and Dryads as well as other races can build the new structures. They are not race-restricted as lairs are with dragons. However, new communities will be added that are race-restricted (allowing only dryad trees, for example).
    Not liking this at all. All of my previous building is wasted unless I want to decon it for 80% novians, then hope the new structure fits? Ghastly.

EDIT: guess I woke up in a bad mood today.
    Landowyn of Order
    The Steelworks
    Specializing in a little bit of everything

I like the saris architecture. If furniture only works for dryad, dwarf and dragon - that's really depressing. I worked hard to build my plot. :-(

Quote Originally Posted by AmonGwareth
    Does this mean guild halls on master guild plots - structures that cannot be destoryed and replaced - cannot be furnished at all? People who've been saddled with those plots won't be very happy about their spacious halls that can't have anything placed within.

Dragon adventurer 100 | Dragon crafter 100 | Dragon lairshaper 84

Furniture will only work in new buildings. For the expansion we will have two new racial structures in addition to Dragon Lairs. We will continue to add new racial structures following this in order to include furniture capabilities in all racial styles, they just will not be in the Horizons: The Settlements expansion. Pre-placed guild structures (Guild Halls) will be upgraded to allow for furniture, or they will be replaced with new models of similar dimensions that allow for it, but that has not been done yet, so we don't yet know the specifics.
    David Bowman

Quote Originally Posted by David Bowman
    Pre-placed guild structures (Guild Halls) will be upgraded to allow for furniture, or they will be replaced with new models of similar dimensions that allow for it, but that has not been done yet, so we don't yet know the specifics.
    That means that it isn't a situation where the current structures cannot accomodate furniture; it means that you are choosing not to give them that functionality. It means you are deliberatly shortchanging those veteran players and loyal customers who have been in-game long enough to have acquired and built up properties.

I'm sorry, but I don't see how intentionally denying existing customers long-desired functionality can be considered "doing it right". At the VERY least, existing housing models should be re-engineered as needed to accomodate the furniture system.
    Klaus Wulfenbach
    Mithril Council, Chaos
    "Death is fleeting. Pride is forever."

"Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it."-- Abraham Lincoln

I didn't read it as such, LO. Note the word "upgraded". That means the structures will need to be changed/modified somehow. Everything is going to have to be brought "up to code" (if you can pardon the pun). Also note the "has not been done yet". To me that sounds like it isn't set in stone.. or wood.. or heck, even cloth. Just a case of David trying to be realistic in what can and can't happen in the expansion itself.

*shrugs* Then again, I always see the glass half full.

Thread Information