Thread: Game Longevity

Default Game Longevity

I played Horizons for about a year at the time of its official release. After being gone for a while my wife and I started over on the trial last night.

The servers seem alot less populated than I remember. Does this game have some life left, is it worth starting again?

I really liked Horizons so hopefully the community is still there.

I think I posted this in the wrong place

Honestly?, Yes its still here, but only TG can tell us for how long. Give it a shot, BUT, dont expect the same game you played before. Spawns are less plentiful than before, Agro is currently wonky, but IF the devs are to be believed then things are improving. So give it a shot and see if you come to the same conclusion.
    25 months waiting for expert CNF forms. Tired of the intentional deceptions and being kicked in the junk.

ADV: Centenarian Nature Walker; Rating: 162
    Craft: 1900 levels; Craft Rating: 234
    DRGN: Lunus, Adult, 100 DRAG, 100 DCRA, 100 DLSH, Expert Lairshaper (Chaos-04)

No, try not! Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda

If the enemy presents an opportunity, take advantage of it - Sun Tzu

Having problems with my right to speak? Report me or click here *Ignore Seranthor*

Spawns are not less plentiful then the pathetic premerge spawns for sure.

yes, it is worth starting again, IMO.
    Got Cowbell?

As for game longevity, I can only quote Tulga CEO Bowman; according to most recent statistics trial-to-subscription conversion is over 50%, and server populations have been growing for a year, and significantly since January.

Dragon adventurer 100 | Dragon crafter 100 | Dragon lairshaper 84

I, too, rejoined about 2 weeks ago, after a 2 year absence. So far, I've had some frustrations (and I admit that I get frustrated in EVERY MMO I play...) but the community has been good, and I'm enjoying the game overall.

It's very different from "back in the day"... A lot of things I remember, and places I used to mine and gather have changed, but I'm still having a good time.

As for longevity, nothing in life is guaranteed... I hope they continue to make improvements. In this past 2 weeks, though, I've seen communications from various members of the TG team that make me think they will continue to support and improve Horizons.

Give it a try, enjoy your time here...

Live for the moment...
    http://horizons.gamersinfo.net

The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
    Max DePree

What we anticipate seldom occurs; what we least expect generally happens.
    Benjamin Disrael

Turgod

I too, have just come back and am starting over. The major difference I see atm, is that money is a little tougher to come by.

As far as the game goes, it is a lot more stable than "back in the day" and as AAO said, there is no way the spawns can be as pathetic as release, I ran from Aug to Harro and only saw 1 creature and he was a perma spawn in the middle of the road.

I was here for release and 3 months after, came back one year later for a month, but things are a lot different now and I do like the changes.

As someone who came back and started over fresh not a month ago... in my opinion it is worth it. And the more good folks we get in our respective communities, the better it will be.

Dinidain DeCantlos

I just came back about 2 weeks ago after being away for over 2 years. Played the trial for about a week and found the old guild I was in still active on Order with some of the same folks still playing.

I got into the guild again and then by doing some digging on the guild's website was able to figure out what my old account info was.

Promptly re-activated my original account and have been having a blast ever since

Dinidain DeCantlos
    Mage / Enchanter

When the expansion comes, I would expect a real growth in population
    Selkan Swiftbeer 18 Scout | 11 Outfitter Human - Chaos
    Feverlous SwiftShot [COLOR="Black"]8 Scout | 4 Outfitter Fiend - Chaos

I'm giving it another go. My social life recently took a dive so I can use Horizons to eat up time.

I left to play WoW two years ago. I'm back for the time of being. Having mixed feelings, but I'm back.

In my opinion Horizons has always had a sparse community, except maybe before launch. Even when the game was new I never saw people in-game or in forums that were as active as some other, newer games.

That said, I sort of like it. People get to know each other. I've quit twice, once for technical problems and once over drama with an ex-girlfriend who left me with a bad taste in my mouth when it came to anything that reminded me of her, but I am back yet again.

That the game is still around, to me, is indicative of its staying power. Other MMOs I've played (like AC2) were here and gone so fast it's hard to remember even playing them. I hope Tulga will continue to support such a diehard fanbase.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxtrick
    When the expansion comes, I would expect a real growth in population
    Play Horizons because you like it the way it currently is, not for the promise of the expansion pack. That is currently nothing more than a dangled carrot, and I really doubt it will ever happen the way folks expect it will. AE has a long history for building hype like this and then if folks are really lucky and anything gets released at all, it is almost always a severe let down.

I have played since mid-beta, had gotten frustrated enough to leave when EQ2 was first released (it is bad when you leave a game to go to SoE), came back for ARoP and stayed another year, and have recently said to hell with it. The current changes are maintaining AE's long history of disorganized and chaotic changes, unexplained stealth nerfs, and general misinformation.

I really like what Horizons could be, I think it has tremendous potential. Unfortunately, I think it is in the hands of the least capable developers on the planet and I do not think they will ever be the ones to make it succesful. They seem to be very well intentioned and caring folks, they just don't seem to understand how to manage a project like this. Real shame too.

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."
    - Albert Einstein

Thread Information