Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Woody Hearn- My hero!

Well at least some one is looking out for the community around here.

http://www.gucomics.com/#important_notice

Indeed, Deth...

(I had all kinds of comments to make here, but I'm afraid any one of them would get me banned from the forums.)

Anyway, again... Woody's my hero!
    http://horizons.gamersinfo.net

The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
    Max DePree

What we anticipate seldom occurs; what we least expect generally happens.
    Benjamin Disrael

deleted link to violation of rules

I love him
    Last edited by Peaches; August 8th, 2006 at 01:59 AM.

»• Adventurer 100 | Crafter 100 | Lairshaper 100 | 100 Million Hoard | Expert Dragoncrafter | Expert Lairshaper •«

He's STILL my hero!

The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
    Max DePree

Benjamin Disrael

Here Here!
    Justa Mirage: Ranger 100 / Healer 92 / Carpentry 100 / Confectioner 100 / Fletching 92 / Weaver 62 / Gatherer 34
    Flatspin: Ancient Lunus Dragon 100 / Craft 100 / Lairshaping 100

Quote Originally Posted by Snowdonia Honeythorn
    Stick your head in the sand much?
    No need to insult him for not worshipping an obscure Internet cartoonist as his hero. Perhaps he simply has his priorities in order?
    Got Cowbell?

*deleted thread due to violations of the rules*

I don't get it
    As a Cleric of Harden I am duty bound to teach you his ways.
    or kill you trying!

Youre not the only one

»• Adventurer 100 | Crafter 100 | Lairshaper 100 | 100 Million Hoard | Expert Dragoncrafter | Expert Lairshaper •«

I always liked his drawings -- he seems to be able to capture the essence of the respective games. And he's funny.
    snickel wigglsniff (retired) Twilight Crusaders on Unity
    poggle wigglsniff (gnomish crafter and mage) semi-retired on Order
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    A gnomish house should not just sit there, it should definitely DO something!

Quote Originally Posted by Helcat
    No need to insult him for not worshipping an obscure Internet cartoonist as his hero. Perhaps he simply has his priorities in order?
    Took you almost a week to make a come back... like that?

I was merely defending someone whom you chose to attack, and now you're flame-baiting me? hmm...
    Got Cowbell?

Also no need to "bait" someone for admiring the work of a cartoonist. This entire thing is ridiculous.

I like Woody's work. I appreciate his view and his humor ( and yes, even his lack of it, at times). If you don't, that's fine. If you do, that's fine too.

I only started this thread because I personally appreciate his work and wanted to share it with you all.

Geez.

Max DePree

Benjamin Disrael

That's fine haunt, but you know what?

Even woody has admitted he is being mean with some of his latest comics. What his comics also do, is let people feel validated in in their view, a view that is more blind rage than considered thought. I am betting that he does not actively play Horizons. To me, this is little better than any of the other trolls that wander by.

His comics are very intuitive, and well done... usually. But to do more than get a chuckle now and then, is to put woody higher than he should be. IF he plays actively, ( what shard and who does he play as? ) then perhaps he has a point of view, that while extreme, is at least colored by his own experience. If NOT, then all he is doing is reading the nastiness of the boards, and reacting to the negative side of things, without giving any creedence to the positive.

This is why woody is NOT my hero. What he has done with a couple of comics is show blind bias against something, based upon the words of others.
    As a new dawn rises over Istaria, may we all band together to meet the challenges!

Continuing Development of Horizons... SWEET!

Aamer, you are describing all artists. Art expresses ideas just as words do. I don't think he needs to be a player in order to look at what has been happening and form an opinion of it.

GU Comics is the gaming industry's version of Doonesbury. If you don't like that kind of humor, that's your right. If you don't like it because it's your ox being gored, then you have a problem. When a person or group loses the ability to laugh at themselves, that's a very bad thing.
    Klaus Wulfenbach
    Mithril Council, Chaos
    "Death is fleeting. Pride is forever."

"Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it."-- Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Peaches
    This has nothing whatsoever to do with hurting my feelings. It has everything to do with this rule:

Signatures must be appropriate, no nude, vulgar siggies are allowed and will be strictly enforced.

Thank you

Furthermore:
    New Forum Rules

Effective August 7th, 2006, Open posting has been enabled. Changes have been made to the forum rules and players should take the time to familiarize themselves with them. The majority of the forum rules remain unchanged.
    In recent weeks, there have been numerous open violations of the existing forum rules. These violations have the potential to do serious harm to the Horizons community. E I Interactive has decided that such violations can no longer be regarded with a relaxed attitude. For the sake of the well being of the Horizons community, from this point on, the existing forum rules will be very strictly enforced.

If you have a problem with the rules, please, feel free to send an email out to EI.

Thank you
    Sorry, but I am unclear on why this post is in this thread. Has some post been removed, to which you refer? I cannot find what it is that you are referring to in your quote.

Max DePree

Benjamin Disrael

Haunt, I realize that you didn't intend for this to happen. Woody's art *is* well done, and I am a fan of a good comic. I support several myself by sending in contributions to keep them on the web.

The comic captured the feeling of many when the boards were locked down after all were so used to them being otherwise. That is nothing but plain, simple truth. It's the mark of a good, editorial-style cartoonist. It's what they do.

However, it only captured one single, visceral reaction: rage. That, as Aamer pointed out, is usually not conducive to helping anything in terms of trying to get a resolution. It was, I think, meant to be a vent for frustration, not a battlecry to return to the boards. What possible good is that emotion when trying to effectively communicate in order to resolve something?

It showed *nothing* about a community turning upon itself. Once talking about the game, some now make jabs, push buttons and use unnecessary adjectives that further strain relations within the community. Yes, there are problems that are frustrating us, and we want them fixed yesterday, but not having control of something is not an excuse to go out of it ourselves.
    Last edited by Dravatar; August 9th, 2006 at 05:20 PM.
    Flsssssh Rsssssst
    The appointed "Rhyming Rhapsodizer" of Blight
    Former Guild Leader of Blight's Conclave of Shadows

Default *sighs*

Quote Originally Posted by TheHaunt
    Sorry, but I am unclear on why this post is in this thread. Has some post been removed, to which you refer? I cannot find what it is that you are referring to in your quote.

My bad, an error with posting. Sorry and thank you for bringing ti to my attention. Post deleted. Thanks again

Thread Information