Thread: Quotes .. a view about it

Default Quotes .. a view about it

I love been able to use the quote option, it allow me to to easily refence something in my post. Or at least it permit the reader to quickly make a link to what I'm speaking about.

The thing I don't understand is when people quote the complete message, and don't edit them. Makes me wonder why the people don't edit their quote so I can easily see the topic they supporting or expending or contradicting.

Okay it could be apersonnal thing, when I see a full text I dipise search trugh it for what is pertinant to the writer "speech".

Personnally 2-3 lines or a paragraph suffice as a prelude to someone reply, but a complete post... come on, is it necessary. It lengthen the thread for nothing and not sure you get the best punch of the fact of quoting.

Sorry my rembling, just a tough I wanted to share, if it could help others.
    Nalrach, Healer & Guardian, Member of the "Iron Circle" guild
    Ramti, Friendly draggy trying to wake-up from long nap.

Quote Originally Posted by Nalrach
    I love been able to use the quote option, it allow me to to easily refence something in my post. Or at least it permit the reader to quickly make a link to what I'm speaking about.

The thing I don't understand is when people quote the complete message, and don't edit them. Makes me wonder why the people don't edit their quote so I can easily see the topic they supporting or expending or contradicting.

Okay it could be apersonnal thing, when I see a full text I dipise search trugh it for what is pertinant to the writer "speech".

Personnally 2-3 lines or a paragraph suffice as a prelude to someone reply, but a complete post... come on, is it necessary. It lengthen the thread for nothing and not sure you get the best punch of the fact of quoting.

I agree completely

Dravatar

ROFL!!!

You are *so* incredibly bad, Kerech.

Quote Originally Posted by Nalrach

Quote Originally Posted by Kerech
    I agree completely
    How about quotes in quotes?

Seriously, sometimes I want to address the whole thing, sometimes one poriton. Mabe that's not what you are talking about though?

I have posted threads where I have been chastised for only quoting a small section of a post... for taking things out of context or "not reading thoroughly"... Which, in my opinion was not true and was just a reason to create another flame fest...

so, I now quote the entire thing, or nothing at all, so that I don't get further commentary about such things

<waits for the smell of burning ... again>
    http://horizons.gamersinfo.net

The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
    Max DePree

What we anticipate seldom occurs; what we least expect generally happens.
    Benjamin Disrael

If people adress several issues and I only want to comment on one of them, I snip that one and only quote that.

If, however, their whole post more or less is about the same issue, I usually quote it entirely.
    snickel wigglsniff (retired) Twilight Crusaders on Unity
    poggle wigglsniff (gnomish crafter and mage) semi-retired on Order
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    A gnomish house should not just sit there, it should definitely DO something!

Dravatar

My take is similiar Snickel.

The first priority is to ensure you don't take the quote out of context, IMO. After that, just enough of the entire quote to address your concerns is all that is needed, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Dravatar
    My take is similiar Snickel, I think.
    *smiles*
    Justa Mirage: Ranger 100 / Healer 92 / Carpentry 100 / Confectioner 100 / Fletching 92 / Weaver 62 / Gatherer 34
    Flatspin: Ancient Lunus Dragon 100 / Craft 100 / Lairshaping 100

Dravatar

Ok, Justa. Point taken.

Quote Originally Posted by Dravatar
    My take is similiar Snickel...I think.
    Would be a bit more appropriate. The ... is important to show that some intermediate part of the original quote is not being shown.

There's more about how to properly quote, but I'm not an english teacher.

Edit: Go Flatspin!!

Some real bad usage of quote's I have seen, was that the quotes was about 120 odd lines, the user comment was 5 words "" I strongly agree with you".

I agree that someone maywant to addressed many part, but if you quote's just what you need to be complete refence, you should be able to save space and help the reder focus on what the intervention is about.

Yes TheHaunt is is possible to shorthen a quote too much, and take the words out of context. But to chastised someone for it, seems a bit excessive.
    Nalrach, Healer & Guardian, Member of the "Iron Circle" guild
    Ramti, Friendly draggy trying to wake-up from long nap.

Thread Information