Thread: Me on Drakul

Fridlekh

I'd almost consider this to be flame bait. And, considering that the only way to get there without exploiting the game would be WM summon, I'd say it's an invitation for account infraction warnings.

There are four ways I can think of off the top of my head for getting through water as a biped, 3 involve the modification of files. I'll assume you're expliting the broken occlusion aspect of the rendering engine. (the one that doesn't involve file modification)

There was a problem a while back that caused the water not to fill in like it should sometimes when you log in . this is what happened that day .

I still have places of water that dont fill in... I just remember where those places should be and avoid them.
    Elated that HZ is no longer in the hands of the Infidels.

Now.. I may have to split my time between 2 games... CS:S and HZ...

I think his post is too prove a point, several players have a bug where water will not load. Mine doesn't at all, ever. It happened with one of the last patches TG put through. I had a nice little journey one night from New Vassarek to New Korealea by running through a mass desert =P
    'The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, ..., the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars' - Kerouac

Fridlekh

Aria: Clear your world cache.

There was a database patch that went out when we added a "load first" type flag to objects which propogated hydro objects with no associated water planes (hydro files) ... this was corrected fairly quickly, but anyone who built a world cache for ocean areas during that time won't see water now, unless the version of the sector gets bumped ... which only happens if there's World Editing done, or player construction (very rare in the middle of the ocean)

World cache editing adds a 5th option that had slipped my mind as far as methods of attack for 'waterwalking' ... and if you break that down in to the different ways world cache editing can work, I can think of a few distinct variations.

Quote Originally Posted by Fridlekh
    I'd almost consider this to be flame bait. And, considering that the only way to get there without exploiting the game would be WM summon, I'd say it's an invitation for account infraction warnings.

There are four ways I can think of off the top of my head for getting through water as a biped, 3 involve the modification of files. I'll assume you're expliting the broken occlusion aspect of the rendering engine. (the one that doesn't involve file modification)
    OK - I modified nothing - I saw that there was no water and wanted to see how far I could go, how close to the Island I could make it. I went exploring. I was surprised that I made it all the way to the Island. On a previous attempt the water did load when I was about half way to the Island. This is a bug in game. Water still does not load in game for me and only after waiting awhile does it finally appear.

As far as Flame Baiting, it is humorous that you or anyone could take it that way.

Default Yup

I have times when there is no water as well. I would urge caution in doing this again though, as it is taking advantage of a bug to access an island that is dragon only. Just my two cents worth.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoberton
    OK - I modified nothing - I saw that there was no water and wanted to see how far I could go, how close to the Island I could make it. I went exploring.
    The sea had parted and let you pass!!!! Hehe, so .... got really muddy boots now eh? Sea muck in them? Oi that will be a week or so of cleaning to do *winks and smiles.*

Fridlekh

Quote Originally Posted by Hoberton
    As far as Flame Baiting, it is humorous that you or anyone could take it that way.
    I have no problem with exploring, and as I mentioned, know of and have personally tested several ways of manipulating the game to get places I shouldn't, mostly for early map creation reasons.

The reason I thought it may be flame bait, is that this isn't the first time a biped has been to Drakul, and on previous occasions the intent has sometimes been just to get a rise out of the dragons there. Also the placement of the thread in the Order forum, as opposed to probably more appropriately the bugs forum made it suspect.

As for why the water doesn't load for you, I'd suggest the same as Aria to start. Delete your world cache once, so you know you're getting up to date info from the server. Also, if your view distance is all the way in, push it out a little. If by standing still and increasing your view distance it makes water load, then your problem is a bug (that may never get fixed :/) related to culling from the scene graph of the invisible hydro object, which is located at the center of a sector containing water, even though it's associated water plane should be visible.

The water is problematic for even those it does load for. It's *very* slow loading and I often have blocks of it missing nearby while flying over it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fridlekh
    Aria: Clear your world cache.

There was a database patch that went out when we added a "load first" type flag to objects which propogated hydro objects with no associated water planes (hydro files) ... this was corrected fairly quickly, but anyone who built a world cache for ocean areas during that time won't see water now, unless the version of the sector gets bumped ... which only happens if there's World Editing done, or player construction (very rare in the middle of the ocean)

World cache editing adds a 5th option that had slipped my mind as far as methods of attack for 'waterwalking' ... and if you break that down in to the different ways world cache editing can work, I can think of a few distinct variations.
    Amon suggested that as a fix, I remember. For one week everytime I logged in I cleared my world cache, it did not work, not even a little bit, not did tweaking my view distance. =/
    'The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, ..., the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars' - Kerouac

Thread Information