Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How about a Fourth Shard!

Fridlekh

Quote Originally Posted by CallakDW
    That was soo wonderful when they did that. Changing the spawn system and breaking that capability is a crime in itself. (I'm guessing that got broke when they changed the spawn system.)
    No, I think it got broken when the AI code was re-written to allow for mroe flexible use of templates or somesuch. I don't remember why exact it was changed but it broke a lot of stuff, most of which was related to default values for the converted versions of the AI scripts, so were fixable in data ... but the 'General' AI seems to be buggy sim or server code. (I can never remember which does what exactly, I'm thinking sim here)

Biggest problem I'd see with this would be hardware costs. Last I estimated a shard contained about $50,000 bucks worth of hardware. A Savage Eden shard can probably run on a single machine, ONE Horizons shard takes about seventeen along with switching hardware, hosting costs, and of course bandwidth.
    "We live only ONE REAL DAY, during which we recall false memories of living many more."
    Is it today?
    "No."

Hal... is all that really nessecary.. i mean offering insite on how much a server cost and stuff is great. Useful and considerate information.

But the pot shot there? Do you even know what a "Savage Eden" server needs?

Not very classy.... If you're lookin' to work in the industry making cheap shots as such won't get you any popularity.

Point being.. Your point could have been made without the knee below the belt.

Quote Originally Posted by Alashar
    What pot shot? He stated information and compared it to Savage Eden, which we all know has been out for several years and likely runs on much less hardware.
    Actually, you likely don't know that and just because it's old doesn't mean such. Maybe if Hal worked for them and knew what their servers were... I'd say nothing.

Edit::Their servers could be as expensive, and amazing that... they run the game nice and smoothly!

Quote Originally Posted by Chioxin
    Actually, you likely don't know that and just because it's old doesn't mean such. Maybe if Hal worked for them and knew what their servers were... I'd say nothing.
    I worked for Tulga (unpaid), and I know from a very reliable source the magnitude of SE's sever-side hardware. I am not here to lie or mislead, only state what I know so others can make their own well-informed opinions.
    "We live only ONE REAL DAY, during which we recall false memories of living many more."
    Is it today?
    "No."

Thread Information