Thread: Getting Horizons working on Vista (Simple Process)

Default Getting Horizons working on Vista (Simple Process)

Well I read that Horizons was alive again and wanted to log back in after being away for 8 months. I am running Vista Ultimate and had problems getting it to run. However, I got it working by following this simple process:

1. Goto the file \Program Files\Tulga Games\Horizons\HorizonsLauncher.exe
    2. Right click on the program and select "Run as administrator"

Thats it. Runs just fine.

Juliana
    Juliana Lightsmith (AR: 179, CR: 180)
    Chaos Server

Default Re: Getting Horizons working on Vista (Simple Process)

What about after a reboot? That killed it for me.

I read your post Deth and rebooted. Now it will not run. /sigh
    Juliana Lightsmith (AR: 179, CR: 180)
    Chaos Server

Sorry, I thought I was safe also, from the dreaded reboot, but it changes something somewhere and no one has a clue what it is.

Curse those new video drivers I wanted to install! Maybe we should ask Microsoft what it might be. LOL not that they would help much I am sure.

I had it working through a bunch of reboots, for about 2 days, and then it just quit. So I am lost as to how to make it work.

well, if rebooting screws it up, set a system restore point the moment you get it working properly, then just restore to that point after each reboot?

Well that still didnt work and I have vista ultimate, still gets and error and windows shuts it down and tells me they will notify me if the find a solution
    Lillyjo

Quote Originally Posted by Juliana View Post
    Well I read that Horizons was alive again and wanted to log back in after being away for 8 months. I am running Vista Ultimate and had problems getting it to run. However, I got it working by following this simple process:

1. Goto the file \Program Files\Tulga Games\Horizons\HorizonsLauncher.exe
    2. Right click on the program and select "Run as administrator"

Thats it. Runs just fine.

Juliana

but not for me Lillyjo Chao's Shard

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

well, i tried everything listed on the boards and still can't get into blight. horizons keeps showing 'waiting for ActiveX to finish loading', but it never does.
    so i will keep the game on my system for the day when these problems are corrected.
    until then, play on my fellow blighties and may the great illy granted that one day i can walk amongst you once again!
    you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

Quote Originally Posted by velveeta View Post
    well, i tried everything listed on the boards and still can't get into blight. horizons keeps showing 'waiting for ActiveX to finish loading', but it never does.
    so i will keep the game on my system for the day when these problems are corrected.
    until then, play on my fellow blighties and may the great illy granted that one day i can walk amongst you once again!
    I have resigned myself to the same fate... waiting for a fix for Vista.

I even tried setting my laptop up as a dual boot with XP, but unfortunately their are no XP drivers for a laptop that was designed for Vista.

Anyway, my wife and I will play again when the game gets fixed.

It may be possible that installing the client with administrative privs enabled will fix it. The right click 'admin' item is designed to be temporary.

I'd try to find a permanent fix for this, but Vista only lasted 2 weeks on my gaming machine before XP was reinstalled.

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

my new deal is the 'artifact update' runs forever, then finds a huge list of files to delete. if you do not delete, the game crashes. if you hit delete, a box shows the 'horizons.exe has stopped working' and crashes.

so not sure what is happening, but i am thinking i am giving up until the working patcher comes out......

and for some reason, altho i installed it years ago on my XP laptop, i get the same problems now when i try to run horizons. so i am not sure what is going on, but i am unable to get home on either machine.

The files to delete after the patcher is normal, you do have to delete those files as that is necessary in order for the game to finish the update. Not sure why it would be crashing on the XP laptop after that though. I would check to see what version of DirectX you have on the XP laptop, also what version of IE, as the weblauncher doesn't work well with IE7 I reinstalled IE6 on my XP partition.

Drelohan

Smile Re: Getting Horizons working on Vista (Simple Process)

check out this post, maybe it will help some of the vista non-players help their machines work.

http://community.istaria.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=16292

GUESS WHO'S ON BLIGHT AS WE SPEAK!!!

that's right, thanx to the posts over at 'consistently logging in with vista', i have gotten on to my long lost home!!
    i am at my plot, but considering a quick tour around. not sure if it will last, but at least i have hope that a permanent fix can be found!!
    thanx to everyone for all the suggestions and i wish i could express how happy i am right now!!

Thread Information