Thread: Anyone had any success with Vista 64bit?

Default Anyone had any success with Vista 64bit?

Been wanting to give Horizons another run, and was curious if any players out there have found a way to get Vista 64bit to run. I got the patcher to come up, and then horizons encounters an error upon loading the game client. I've tried running it in Compatibility mode in 95/98/ME, and even Xp SP2 with no luck.

Default Re: Anyone had any success with Vista 64bit?

To the best of my knowledge no one has been able to get Horizons to run under Vista, 32 or 64 bit mode (I don't consider havnig to reboot multiple times to only to get it to run for a few times running). Given the location that the crash occurs it looks like classic stack corruption, which could be caused by the increased number of DLLs that are supported in the Windows SideBySide DLL loading. By moving the comctrl32.dll into a Horizons.exe.local folder I have at least been able to get it to crash in a different manner, which would seem to indicate that there is at least one place in the code that the stack is being overwritten with long path names (e.g. the old path would have been someting along the lines of "c:\windows\system32\comctl32.dll" would now be "
    c:\windows\winsxs\x86_microsoft.windows.common-controls_6595b64144ccf1df_6.0.6000.16386_none_5d07 289e07e1d100\COMCTL32.DLL
    " under Vista).

At this point the real question is whether or not Vitrium has source to the code that is causing the problems, and an engineer that can effectively work on the client. To the best of my knowledge none of the support libraries have been updated in a very long time, and some date back even further (hp60176p.dll with a date of 11/7/2002).

Hopefully Vitrium will at least comment on the 2 above questions, as neither of them relate to commitments or release dates. Basically if they don't have the source, and the company that they originally licensed the code from is no longer around, then just about any hope for those of us that need to be able to run the client on Vista is slim to none unless there is a replacement plan in place.

While I certainly applaud the content changes that have been made, the complete lack of communication in regards to the client, especially in regards to Vista is starting to get scary.
    Last edited by Barnaby Gump; November 25th, 2007 at 04:28 PM. Reason: Clarification

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

i have 2 puters able to run vista and horizons. there are multiple posts about this....the thread i have used is the 'consistently working under vista' thread.
    follow the steps found there and get used to reboots, but you can run horizons and vista together. its not easy and its not ideal, but it can be done.
    you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

Which version of Vista are you running Velveeta?

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

umm, the version that comes with dell puters....home premium version, not sure about the bits......
    you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

Thread Information