Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Unity Transfers Tests, checks and balances

Default Re: Unity Transfers Tests, checks and balances

Uhmmm how I should say it...

Um HELLO? Yeah we watied more than a year in the dark to exploit you poor people with our chars that waited in the dust...

I mean I'm also disguted by such thinking, like we somehting evil that want to come to your realms? How ignorant....

I have again to ask myself if we are welcome or not... I do not understand the hatred, I can't.. really....

a disgusted dragoness

»• Adventurer 100 | Crafter 100 | Lairshaper 100 | 100 Million Hoard | Expert Dragoncrafter | Expert Lairshaper •«

I believe the spirit behind the beginning of this thread was distateful and not necessary. Maybe I'm naive but after all the unity players have been through I believe they deserve a little more faith than that. Yes not all of them are going to be perfect or honest but let's wait until those players actually have done something bad to accuse them of anything.

Isharae of The Ancients - Pet Saris Druid to Dracanaa
    Katarae - Lost dragoness of Order

Quote Originally Posted by Dracana
    Yes not all of them are going to be perfect or honest but let's wait until those players actually have done something bad to accuse them of anything.
    Nothing bad has happened, and no accusations have been made. The situation, if it's set up to test on live shards, allow characters to be deleted and restored (the unity character) multiple times, allows for abuse. Whether this abuse will happen, no one knows (well, aside from the respondents in this thread); however, it IS a situation that can be manipulated.

If you want examples of less than perfect behavior, then you can read through some previous posts in other threads, on the other shard boards and I'm sure you'll find plenty of complaints.

There is no hatred intended in this post, but rather bringing up a situation that *could* lead to unintended results.

If this were any player on any shard, and the same "test" were being performed, I would have the same concern that this situation could occur.

Quote Originally Posted by Creme View Post

There is no hatred intended in this post, but rather bringing up a situation that *could* lead to unintended results.
    Then you should have PMed the devs instead of posting it publicly. This is not of our concern, this is a situation only the devs can deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by Nambroth View Post
    I too find the nature of this thread very distasteful. If this was a genuine concern for Creme or anyone else, it would have been far more respectful to send this question to a dev in private, rather than post this public thread. It could have then been handled/discussed in a much more respectful way.
    I agree.
    Thank you for this objective and calm reaction. I can't be so rational. I'm rather emotional about all this.

Hurray! Mor
    rison is back at his house near Bristugo!
    And the wisps on wis
    p isle are moving again!
    If you can't see 'em, you know you've got proper invisible runes.

Time to make myself look bad....

#1 I dont know the people who are testing. I cant make a judgement call.

#2 if its not rude to go through cutoms at airports, metal detectors at court houses etc, its not rude to make sure something bad doesnt happen.

I'm sure if it were teh otehr way around, and people from live shards were going to unity I too would be upset to hear that people assume my friends were bad folks or exploiters. however, I have enough sense to know, safety comes first.

kumu is absolutely right, its not rue, not distrustful and not mean to want the best for everyone.

i'm sure if we knew your firends doing the testing we'd agree they were 100% good people, but we dont. can anyone really blame someone for wanting precautions?

I'm also a tad upset every discussion or arguement goes back to: we lost our toons, we were oppressed, so we can do no wrong. its simply not so.

there are jerks and cheats of every race, creed,religion and gaming shard...i've met lots of them. lets not assume the best or worst of people and be civil, safety minded people?

innocent until proven guilty...maybe, but that doesnt stop people from taking precautions. i quite honestly and objectively think this is a concern, however mild, it is a concern. I hope even if teh thread gets locked that the community manager, forum mods or horizons cs get a look at this and at least think about how best to handle hte scenario.
    Ignem Infernum - Abi in malum rem.
    Ixatchitxl the Defiler - Fafnir who? I was here first!
    Think! Its not illegal...yet.
    Adventuring: aka Genocide, Graverobbing, and Temple Desecration.

oh my mistake I forgot something.

to assume this is no ones concern but the devs is false and possibly naive.

anything that can effect a game as small as horizons is a community concern.

I do advise ( cant tell people what to do, its not my way) that people take a deep breath and not post from emotion, but logic...keeps stuff civil, sane and not awry.
    Ignem Infernum - Abi in malum rem.
    Ixatchitxl the Defiler - Fafnir who? I was here first!
    Think! Its not illegal...yet.
    Adventuring: aka Genocide, Graverobbing, and Temple Desecration.

Quote Originally Posted by Zexoin
    Then you should have PMed the devs instead of posting it publicly. This is not of our concern, this is a situation only the devs can deal with.
    Devs don't respond very quickly on the forums (at least it's not been my experience), nor on tickets, although I have submitted a ticket on this, and pointing to this post as well.

Rather than being sneaky and going behind people's backs, I preferred to post my concern openly. Especially as this is NOT something that should be twisted into a "hate" campaign and bogged down with emotions and wounded feelings.

It's a mechanical situation and a possible flaw exists in the MECHANICS of the testing, not who is being tested, not where the testers are coming from, but the testing program itself. Maybe take a step back from the "omg we are being accused of being CHEATERS" and instead, look at the mechanics of the test, and admit that there is a weakness there.

It's that simple folks, if you want to blow it out of proportion then that's your perogative.

It's a mechanical situation and a possible flaw exists in the MECHANICS of the testing, not who is being tested, not where the testers are coming from, but the testing program itself. Maybe take a step back from the "omg we are being accused of being CHEATERS" and instead, look at the mechanics of the test, and admit that there is a weakness there.
    Yep, there's a weakness.

So a little hint. Next time, try phrases like "make sure items aren't accidentally duplicated" rather than "make sure they don't have the means to duplicate". One reads as if blaming the mechanism, the other the players. Remember, if a phrase can be taken as offensive, it will be, even if not intended like that.

Antonath

Acul, Trandalar and Tagath's in Mala, Genevia Island

I said it once and I'll say it again.

Quote Originally Posted by C`gan
    I ask everyone involved in this to please have some patience while these tests are underway. Let them get through it all and get everyone from Unity to the live shards safely. And then, let us find in our own hearts the truth behind it all.
    Maybe I should've expanded on these two sentences. I thought I made them clear.

We who have played the entire time Unity was down have a distinct advantage over them. We've been rewarded for our time here. How so? Well, let's see. If any of you from Unity have fault or difference in what is said, feel free to correct me.

Unity's last set of updates was definitely NOT up to speed with the ones on Chaos and Order at the time Unity was shut down. Certain bug fixes and quest patches and additions had not been given to them of had not been put in by GN, to my knowledge. Add to that the patches, updates, and additions that have since been put in by Virtrium since their acquirement of Horizons. Our live shards have narrowed down to a functioning minimum during the EI/PME/NGW ownership and are now on the rebound with new subscribers. On top of that, we've had time to develop, advance, and hone our skills while Unity has been off. We've had the devs listen to us and provide feedback and follow up on what we've said. That's how we've been rewarded.

For those doing the testing from Unity, they're going to be at a distinct disadvantage, not having been through all this. I'm confident that the five who submitted to the rigors of what really amounts to multiple beta test character wipes will be on their best behavior and concentrate on the testing of the procedure, not worrying about how they can get some sort of "advantage" over the rest of us.
    C`gan Weyrsinger, blue Tagath's rider, WorldProjects Team Lead Emeritus
    Tagath, blue Lunus "for the breath weapon"
    Located in sunny Acul on Trandalar, Order shard

sorry Creme, I still can`t hear a friendly vibration from your side.

If I would have been that missunderstood,
    and had offended so many people...
    I would have apologized..

Quote Originally Posted by C`gan
    We who have played the entire time Unity was down have a distinct advantage over them. We've been rewarded for our time here. How so? Well, let's see. If any of you from Unity have fault or difference in what is said, feel free to correct me.

Unity's last set of updates was definitely NOT up to speed with the ones on Chaos and Order at the time Unity was shut down. Certain bug fixes and quest patches and additions had not been given to them of had not been put in by GN, to my knowledge. Add to that the patches, updates, and additions that have since been put in by Virtrium since their acquirement of Horizons. Our live shards have narrowed down to a functioning minimum during the EI/PME/NGW ownership and are now on the rebound with new subscribers. On top of that, we've had time to develop, advance, and hone our skills while Unity has been off. We've had the devs listen to us and provide feedback and follow up on what we've said. That's how we've been rewarded.
    I'm not sure what any of this has to do with what could be a flaw that was not considered in the testing process, and it's pretty much obfuscating an extremely simple concept. Items/coin can be duplicated. PERIOD.

For those doing the testing from Unity, they're going to be at a distinct disadvantage, not having been through all this.
    You're making an assumption that none of the testers have played on either Chaos or Order while the Unity has been down. I also have no idea what "advantage" you're talking about. This is not about advantage or disadvantage, this is about something that might not have been considered in transferring test characters over to live shards multiple times. As far as the argument that the players are already at a disadvantage for not having been able to played while Unity was down, anyone could have made a character on order, chaos, or blight during this time. Many chose to do so and are doing quite well for themselves. Others chose not to. That's their CHOICE. Saying that they weren't allowed to earn coin or anything in the past year is misleading. It almost seems as though this argument could be used to justify anything that MIGHT happen with the testing crossover. We have had a number of players from Unity on Chaos, for much longer than Unity was discontinued that didn't have the "disadvantages" that you have pointed out. I don't know who the testers are, do you?

I'm confident that the five who submitted to the rigors of what really amounts to multiple beta test character wipes will be on their best behavior and concentrate on the testing of the procedure, not worrying about how they can get some sort of "advantage" over the rest of us.
    I'm happy that you're confident. I still feel that in a TESTING situation, all things need to be considered and that pointing out that a possible flaw exists, one that can occur, even unintentionally, should be addressed and corrected.

Once again, no one is being attacked, no one's reputations are being slighted. And I've posted already, I'd feel the same way if this were an order/chaos transfer test.

If I'm still not clear, or you still feel like you are personally being attacked, please feel free to PM me and I'll be happy to respond to your concerns.

Quote Originally Posted by LOVWYRM
    sorry Creme, I still can`t hear a friendly vibration from your side.

If I would have been that missunderstood,
    and had offended so many people...
    I would have apologized..
    You don't feel any "friendly vibrations" because I'm feeling dispassionate, in that I'm reporting a potential "bug".

Nothing more, nothing less.

If you choose to see this as something more than what it is, I'm sorry for that.

See my post above and feel free to send me a PM.

I'm wondering if there's any checks and balances in place to ensure that the characters that are imported for testing don't have a means to hand off their gold, items, etc. to friends in game to hold for them that will be "doubled up" when the "real" import happens?

Especially as the characters might be imported several times over during the testing process. Not that I'm saying that it WILL happen, but it might.
    Can't help but wonder:
    "Is this what OP would try to do in this situation?
    How many more of the US-Horizons players are having these or similar thoughts about the (un-)trustworthiness of Unitarians?
    Is this the general attitude on one or both of the US shards?
    Will Unitarians have to "prove their innocence" once transfered to Chaos and/or Order?
    Is what OP brings up "representative" for what Unitarians can expect to have to deal with after transfer?"

If the answer to too many of the above questions is "yes" then I, for one, am going to have second thoughts about requesting a transfer.

And I'll go on wondering:
    "What has happened or is happening to the once so praised Horizons Community? Is the Community in majority going to just let this happen? Let, what I assume (and hope!) just to be "a few bad apples" spoil and ruin the gamefun for everyone else?"

At this point (and I may be naive) I think I'll just say to myself:
    "No, I won't believe it's a majority who think and act as OP does. This is a typical case of: "One judges other people's character by one's own!"

And then I'll go on hoping that more players of the majority will post and prove me right!

I just want to add, before stoping posting here because this is going to turn in a witch hunt I don't want to participate to, why the hell would player that have been patiently waiting for more than a YEAR to get their character copied, and that mean they hold their character dear, RISK to see the copy COMPROMISED by doing such a thing ?? That doesn't make any sense to me.....

And Ramaj and all the Unitarian, hopefully most of us do not share the thoughts of the OP.

Quote Originally Posted by Zexoin View Post
    I just want to add, before stoping posting here because this is going to turn in a witch hunt I don't want to participate to, why the hell would player that have been patiently waiting for more than a YEAR to get their character copied, and that mean they hold their character dear, RISK to see the copy COMPROMISED by doing such a thing ?? That doesn't make any sense to me.....

And Ramaj and all the Unitarian, hopefully most of us do not share the thoughts of the OP.
    Why would an employee of a company RISK to see their job COMPROMISED by doing insider trading?? That doesn't make any sense to me....

The simple fact is that of human nature. There is nothing wrong with asking for security measures.

The righteous indignation is ludicrous in this thread.

As much as I wanted to avoid this thread and avoid being flamed (because thats usually what happens in 'biped vs. dragon' and 'unity' boards), my own personal craziness has made me post.

And I apologize if my 'typing' offends anyone. I don't know how to put things 'softly' yet, but agree that the 'passion' in this post is equal to the 'passion' of other posts in this thread.

I am going to have to agree with Silverblaze and Kumu. Unitarians have been over sensitive lately, and will flame anyone to disagrees with their views. "Who cares about your guys updates! FIX UNITY NOW!!!! We have been opressed because we haven't played our 'toons' in a year! Chaos/Order players are being so mean to us!"

You guys, Unity people, have all assumed that your personal honor has been smacked. Creme's intent was not "Omg.. cheating Unity people.. stealing everything from ME!! Lairs!! PLOTS!! What will happen to ME?!?!". Are you guys saying that EVERYONE on Unity is a perfect gem who has fallen from the sky and has come to 'save this world from darkness'? If someone said that everyone in (insert your town here) was a theif and criminal, I would get angry too, but Creme did not say EVERYONE. Creme was NOT saying everyone from Unity are theives. There is ALWAYS a bad person out there. I am sick and tired of people's tantrums on these forums. People from Unity have not "been through alot". My own personal example, recently a big big virus hit me and I had to erase EVERYTHING on my computer to actually make it work again. I lost EVERYTHING, my life's work. some of my art. all of my music. everything I had saved during the years. and Unity just lost their characters.. ON A GAME, and they were promised to get it back soon. The fact that everyone is offended by everything about Unity and their behavior, offends ME and I'm sure others.

I am not anti-Unity. I am not against them coming to Chaos (or Order). I am not thinking they will steal our plots and lairs. I am not thinking that losing their characters mean nothing. I am not happy with their attitudes on the forum though. I think you guys need to calm down, and breath the fresh air of happiness. I have added on to Kumu's and Silverblaze's posts, so some things they have already posted, I have omitted from this post, that will ruin my reputation (If I had one).

*puts on flame-resistant suit* Come and get me!

EDIT: Going to have to add another sorry. After calming down, I realized there was a little bit more emotion and upsetness in my post than needed. But I wouldn't be sure what to omit so.. be advised..
    Last edited by Lunarya; February 11th, 2008 at 12:01 AM.
    Looking for a "dentist" to fix Lunarya's blue teeth

Lunarya and Akenokoru on Chaos.
    Help make Evarus grow!

I agree with Lunarya. I couldn't have said it better. The world isn't out to get you. It's just a game. We ALL play it.

That being said. The original posters concern is a valid one. Maybe the testers are good people but the devs are offering everyone that used to play on Unity a chance to copy over. Can you say for one hundred percent certainty that every single person that played on your shard would never do anything like this? I would expect the same concern to be brought up if it was the other way around and it was Order and Chaos transferring over to Unity.
    Nayuaka and Nayukhuut. Freelance Helian lorekeepers of Chaos.

Sorry but this thread makes no sense at all. The devs have said under what circumstance the test transfers will be happen. So why making a thread in the way "omg .. they get the chance to make something bad, so please be careful"? This is indeed very disgusting!

Its right that the there were player in the past on the US shards who used bugs to get an advantage, but this is not the fault from Unity players!!

All the time i played on Unity it was a good and helpful Community, bipeds helped dragons, and dragons helped bipeds, even if in different guilds. And there was never ever a discussion like this one!

To say that we from unity are flaming and are over sensitiv makes me worthless. I for myself am more and more convinced that to start playing under this circumstance is nothing i am willing to do. Sadly but true.

Quote Originally Posted by Nayuaka View Post
    I agree with Lunarya. I couldn't have said it better. The world isn't out to get you. It's just a game. We ALL play it.

That being said. The original posters concern is a valid one. Maybe the testers are good people but the devs are offering everyone that used to play on Unity a chance to copy over. Can you say for one hundred percent certainty that every single person that played on your shard would never do anything like this? I would expect the same concern to be brought up if it was the other way around and it was Order and Chaos transferring over to Unity.
    Uhm we are speaking about five player who maybe have that chance .. not from all the unity community!!

Thread Information