Thread: what kind of job is a "maintenance" ?

Default what kind of job is a "maintenance" ?

Hello, it is probably just a stupid question, but I am working in Telecom network, and I really wonder what kind of "maintenance" needs to put the server(s) and/or local network down for at least 12 hours per week ... When there is a patch this downtime is even much longer.

It cannot be a simple reboot, any clue someone ?

Moreover, isn't it possible to duplicate some part of the network, in order to decrease the downtime for the customers ?

thank you

Jaelle_earth

Default Re: what kind of job is a "maintenance" ?

As far as i know (and i do not claim to know everything) maintainance means: defragmenting harddrives, readout of the debug-logs, minor fixes for bugs, reorganizing/defragmenting ofthe database, even fixing or swapping of hardware, and everything that is important to allow the server to work stable.
    I.e. remember what your own system does when you dont defragment your harddrives every couple of days/weeks? now imagine a server with dozens and tons of harddrives and a workload of data that creates a whole world (we are talking xx gigabyte/minute or even more)...

correct me if im wrong [img]/Web/emoticons/emotion-1.gif[/img]

Sure i only have 3 hours in the morning to play and 4 in the evening and sometimes it gets on my nerves, too,that i cant play but you cant make it right for everyone. The calling for an executioner would be evenlouder if they did the maintainance on any other time then in the morning, they just chose the time when the least people are online so not to plague the majority of the players, imagine maintainance at 6 pm... now that would rise the commotion within the community [img]/Web/emoticons/emotion-1.gif[/img]

just think about it being necessary to hold this world alive [img]/Web/emoticons/emotion-1.gif[/img] horizons has improved vastly since release and is still improving, with technicians and developers only being humans like us it sometimes takes time to do some things, but better this way than nothing being done at all.Right now the economical conditions are not good for noone.

I dont want to lecture anybody just want to bring some more understanding of the matter to the community [img]/Web/emoticons/emotion-1.gif[/img]

-

May the guardians protect you, may the watchers keep their vigil over you and may the judges always treat you fairly.

LostKitty Kuschelkatz - Unity
    67 Healer, 25 Cleric / 55 Blacksmith, 35 Carpenter

And it is not just one server as I heard as one shard conatins 21 servers. I havnt checked replies about this earlier when I written so though. I think they take backup during this time as well.
    Vanaondo
    The RP guild Kushan Sogd at Harro, Unity Shard
    Download and install Pekkas Map Pack v2.9 today and HCC 0.26 Beta is there too

SmallFluffyBunny

it means press reboot and hope it all still works after

Thread Information