Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: When to do the (Adult) Rite of Passage

Default Re: When to do the (Adult) Rite of Passage

Despite my earlier comment about RP (which was mainly in reference to a grumbly old lunus being cranky about the dragon language) I just wanted to let everyone know that I do not care when a player chooses to do their RoP as long as they feel that they personally are ready. I did Nam's RoP at 30 (another one of my dragons waited till 52/54 so I could see what I missed the first time), and have helped many others do theirs young too. If I am available anyone is welcome to ask me for help in this.

I also find that when Roleplaying, if it will help someone I will often do something that is totally out of character. e.g. buffing peds, etc... then will often send a -ooc smiley face or something. I enjoy helping others regardless that one of my characters is a cranky Lunus- I will simply let others know that it's OOC. Similarly if my dragon had some sort of RP reason not to help a hatchie fly young (which, none of my dragons do, but I understand that others play this way), that doesn't mean I can't help them OOC. They can pretend I was never there. That's part of the beauty of roleplaying.

Big crunchy ancient dragoness of Order

Then again I probably still wouldnt play Lan for fear of ...
    Tcei I know that you feel wronged, and I know that this is a very sensitive topic for many players and for many reasons - but whether or not your statement is true (I truly hope something like that wouldn't keep you from transferring to play an existing character you enjoy) please try to keep the thread as "professional" as possible.

I'll respectfully request that we please nip any namecalling in the bud before it elicits incendiary replies, as well as curb unnecessary speculation on stuff that is not only far-fetched, but also is against the EULA and very reportable.

If there's anything that I can do to help you on Order, lemme know 'k?
    "There are but three loves in a Dwarf's life, young lad: battle to make one thirsty, ale to quench the thirst, and friends to bring more ale! Make no mistake about it... good friends are by far the most important." - Steele

@Lantua

Yes, if I recall correctly there's an option called "Character Transfer Token" accessible in

https://accounts.istaria.com/member.php

(needs log in)

Before you take such step I suggest you create some hatchie alt and join the chats:

- Dragon
    - Unity Of Pain (despite the name, it's a sort of general chat, in fact you'll won't see much traffic on other chats).
    Vahrokh Vain - Ancient dragon level 100 adv 100 craft 34M of untainted, fireworks and other crap free hoard.
    Isarion - Reaver Healer Spiritist, many craft classes.

Quote Originally Posted by Vahrokh View Post
    @Lantua

Yes, if I recall correctly there's an option called "Character Transfer Token" accessible in

https://accounts.istaria.com/member.php

(needs log in)

Before you take such step I suggest you create some hatchie alt and join the chats:

- Dragon
    - Unity Of Pain (despite the name, it's a sort of general chat, in fact you'll won't see much traffic on other chats).
    Nothing official has been said about character transfer. I suggest to wait for a CSR answer first.

Re: self-righteous RP police

I've been called that before. I've also been called elitist. After an incident, however, for the most part I stopped publicly expressing the opinions that led to such labels.

But I think it's time to ask...

Is it wrong to believe that one type of RP is inherently superior to other types, if that type of RP can eliminate issues like the one this thread is about?

Casual/semi/pseudo "roleplay" is Order's biggest problem, IMO. You have people who have no idea what they're doing trying to do things far beyond their ability, i.e. playing a character who is strongly judgmental or prejudiced on a commonplace matter like ascension to adulthood. They let the issue bleed OOC because they don't recognise the existence of the line between IC and OOC. That or they're not roleplaying at all to begin with and are expressing an OOC peeve without notation and giving real roleplayers a bad name. The problem can go both ways: the person whose dragon is ascending "early" may construe an IC issue to be OOC.

Is there a way to roleplay that is more proper than other ways? Yes: any kind of roleplay performed and received by people who understand the difference between IC and OOC and do not fail to maintain the delineation.
    "Ohoh...someone is actually trying to sell something, I see an attunement coming. LOL" - Teto Frum

Quote Originally Posted by Xoshara View Post
    Re: self-righteous RP police

I've been called that before. I've also been called elitist. After an incident, however, for the most part I stopped publicly expressing the opinions that led to such labels.

But I think it's time to ask...

Is it wrong to believe that one type of RP is inherently superior to other types, if that type of RP can eliminate issues like the one this thread is about?

Casual/semi/pseudo "roleplay" is Order's biggest problem, IMO. You have people who have no idea what they're doing trying to do things far beyond their ability, i.e. playing a character who is strongly judgmental or prejudiced on a commonplace matter like ascension to adulthood. They let the issue bleed OOC because they don't recognise the existence of the line between IC and OOC. That or they're not roleplaying at all to begin with and are expressing an OOC peeve without notation and giving real roleplayers a bad name. The problem can go both ways: the person whose dragon is ascending "early" may construe an IC issue to be OOC.

Is there a way to roleplay that is more proper than other ways? Yes: any kind of roleplay performed and received by people who understand the difference between IC and OOC and do not fail to maintain the delineation.
    All of the above would be much more implement-able on:

- a game made for RP "pros". I played one that would even make you level up and get in game boosts if you committed to superior RP. Needless to say, those games are text only, for "old school" RPers. I can't see how to go "pro" in a MMORPG when you have the next point as well:

- a game where you play in more than few tens per server. You can't really make barriers when you are already in an extremely limited numbers situation. How many will end up playing on Order and be "worth"? Five?
    To the face of "Massive MORPG!"
    Vahrokh Vain - Ancient dragon level 100 adv 100 craft 34M of untainted, fireworks and other crap free hoard.
    Isarion - Reaver Healer Spiritist, many craft classes.

I'm still new here, and have only been on Order.

I have to say I'm, a bit confused about some of the stuff said about rp (enforcers, shall we say) there. Since I've been here less than a month, I think I've seen at least two "early fliers" going through their ROPs, and unless I'm under a rock, I really haven't seen anything I'd call "negative" towards them, ic or ooc.

My plan is to wait to 50/50, My first character (Nakriel) is at 20/32(or 33, don't remember), and crafting is painfully boring if I'm not at max efficiency on the given resource. After seeing these other hatchies ascend, I can tell you, it is REALLY getting hard to wait (I'm not sure if I can wait too much longer)

I do want to participate in my rop (Lunus) but I also thoroughly enjoy fighting with others, so if I don't/can't wait til the 50/50, its tough deciding when to do it.

The negativity towards young fliers has dimmed quite a bit. The crowed that usually gave them a hard time dispersed over the months. I haven't been able to log in for a while, but when I could the harsh words about flying early had all but gone, only a vaguely oppresive statement or allusion here and there and for the most part, it was ignored or misunderstood for a compliment, which I found amusing. xD

Ascend when you want, how you want. To the fiery place with nay-sayers! >:]

All the people screaming how "awful" and "wrong" RoP at 30 was on Order actually motivated me to do it that early. Having my impulsive and loud hatchie wait until 50 would be terribly out of character. The scale you get may be brilliant and lasting an extra second against the entombed may be great, but none of that even compares to flying. Hence lil' Piano finished her RoP and ascended at season 31 last night.

I just hope no one catches me flying around now...

Sigvard Nemena (Order) | Piano Forte (Order) | Lello (Order) | Vasken (Order) | Skreel (Order) | Ursala (Order)
    (Click names for biographies!)

Aw, I missed it. D:
    Grats anyway!

.:Malestryx:.

Aegis Shatterer - Scourge of the Scourge - Blight's Own Decay

Congratulations, Sigvard. May all of your skies be warm ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigvard View Post
    All the people screaming how "awful" and "wrong" RoP at 30 was on Order actually motivated me to do it that early.
    How passive-aggressive. That's right, you show 'em!

Congrats on your ascension!
    <----clicky!

Hey, I did it at 30 and back then nobody cared - as they shouldn't..

It disgusts me that anyone judges ANYONE for choosing to do their ascensions when the GAME allows.

Why the crap do you care when someone else ascends?? It doesn't effect you, good or bad, in how you play (you as in the person who cares...). It doesn't HURT you or negatively effect YOUR game experience.

Ugg, some people need to get their priorities straight. If you're worried about someone who chooses to do something in a game, according ot game RULES, that doesn't eeven effect you - you lead a blessed life indeed and need to give thanks.

*wants to spit but doesn't cuz that's too rude*
    Frith-Rae BridgeSol
    Great Elder of Keir Chet K'Eilerten
    Iea has returned.

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

(pardon me for my 2 cents - i don't really have much right to speak about this yet, but you know how nosey i am....)(remember, the use of 'you' and other pronouns are in general and do not speak to any person in particular)

yeah that's pretty amazing to me too. it seems obvious to me that there is no need to get pissy about how someone else plays the game. unless you are paying for the subscript (personally, not even then - i have paid for other peeps subscript), you have absolutely no bizniz getting personally insulted about how soon hatchies ascend. of course, in rp, you are allowed to express this opinion, but to scorn or shun someone because they ascend 'early' - that's just wrong, i am sorry, but it is.

i think more peeps, especially roleplayers, need to remember that everyone is different and has different motives and reasons and desires and expectations. if you don't like it, don't help - but don't hinder either.
    you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

me i did mine at 50/50 . for the hachling sclae and i am lv 100 now and i am still uesing it ; ) i am wroking on a nother hachling and i am going to what tell . 50/50 to do her's as well . i have no probles with hachling doing there at lv 30 . or when ever they wish to do it . : ) it all in how they wish to play . i do know that if he or she whats . they'll b more of a help in ther own rop . : ) it can go ether way . on this one to what or not to what . u'll get more if u what .. but that agen it's all in how that player wishes to play .
    http://staronlightwing.deviantart.com/
    Hellenia hord 95869756, lv's 100.100.63 Staron hord 151402610 lv's 100.100.83 Josanna hord 2275812 lv's 100.100.87 Figes hord 126074906 lv's 57.34.00

I think everyone needs to relax.

If you don't like that someone is doing their ROP earlier than some unknown cutoff.. well, that's really too bad. Nobody is going to care what you think so you might as well stow it before you start to appear stuck up and rude. There are far too many dragons (and bipeds for that matter) that are more than willing to help a hatchling on their way to their ROP for them to have to rely on you.

What's really the point of that anyway? The animosity is so misplaced.

Nobody judges those of you with that animosity because you wasted 20 or 30 levels of being an adult, being able to fly (with it's many applications and practical uses), having the extra +50 to all stats and extra 200 or so health so you could get a scale with very little armor and a stat bonus that can be mostly compensated for with a decent crystal.

I'm sure some of you will disagree, but the bottom line is this:

It's a matter of opinion. Everyone has one and they're all RIGHT. Just remember that the next time a hatchling asks for help with their ROP before you flame them.

I know, personally, I'd rather have a friend than someone that thinks I'm a schmuck because I wouldn't help them when I could have.

That was well said.

I waited until 50/50 because of recommendations of a former guildmate (who has since quit the game. His loss. ) and because I was curious about the scales at 1, 25, and 50 that you get from Vladtmordt.

I feel that any Dragon can do the RoP whenever they want. Plus, they're paying to play the game and really shouldn't let someone else discourage them, even if it's in the realm of 'role-playing.'

I'm just bummed that whenever someone asks, I'm usually in the middle of something else and don't want to break my rhythm.

That changed a few days ago when I got bored with scraping up granite. :d
    Dragon Scroll; BLIGHT~Anam, Ahleah; CHAOS~Veruliyam, Ceruliyan, Jaguarundi, Spinel, Ssussurrouss, Chon; ORDER~Aucapoma, Susurrus

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

helping hatchies ascend is always a welcome break from crafting.....
    you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

I thought you had to cultivate cheese, not craft it.

*slaps his knee

Quote Originally Posted by Zexoin View Post
    I do not agree with that. Doing RoP at lvl 30 is fine (I did it with my alt at lvl 31, with my main at 64 ), but not telling them what they miss if they do that is just plain wrong. People can't take the right decision if they don't know everything it implies.

Just curious, since you did both, what exactly do you miss out on as an early flyer? Except from the 50/50 scales that is. Oh, and the ability to play a more active role at your rop.

Hurray! Mor
    rison is back at his house near Bristugo!
    And the wisps on wis
    p isle are moving again!
    If you can't see 'em, you know you've got proper invisible runes.

Thread Information