Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flight tubes and rooms w/o machines

Default Flight tubes and rooms w/o machines

We should revisit the concept of flight tubes in http://community.istaria.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=11184 . It seems that the reverse spiral could be modified as such:

Tier 1/2 - 3 levels

Tier 3/4 - 5 levels

Tier 5/6 - 7 levels

They could follow the current pattern of resource needs for the rooms with machines. A "marbling" of blue or red (and bluish/reddish) would differentiate Helian vs. Lunus.

I'd like to see many connection points to allow for murals and flexibility in connecting structures.

Also, the machine rooms are rather nice without the machines. While I don't understand the limit of 1 per type (Helian, Lunus and tier), it would be great to have tier 2 stoneworking chambers as a colorful hallway and smelting just to break up the repetition of halls, 3 ways, and 4 ways. Ideally their resource requirements would be about 1/2 to 3/4 of their machine "cousins."
    Jaraiden -- Adult dragon, life mate of Shadowwalker, bonded 7/31/04 (Dawn --> Order)
    Adult 73/82 | hatchling 56/65 (70.8 days) [3/9/04 to 3/4/05, 4/12/06 to 4/13/07, Current]

1. Fix what is broken. -- 2. Finish what is incomplete. -- 3. Add to complement lore.

Default Re: Flight tubes and rooms w/o machines

Good ideas. I like the alternate hallway idea. Flight tubes could be similiar to whats found in the council of elders' chamber.

Flight tubes would be nice for easy access to the lowest level. Plus it saves tons of room against using spirals, unless you manage to design a lair without one (I did, but it took me a long time XD).

As for empty machine rooms, just build a second machine room (or only one if you don't want that machine in your lair) and don't turn it on. Ta-dah! Although that doesn't make the resource requirements any easier...
    <----clicky!

Quote Originally Posted by Favoran View Post
    Flight tubes would be nice for easy access to the lowest level. Plus it saves tons of room against using spirals, unless you manage to design a lair without one (I did, but it took me a long time XD).
    Absolutely seconded.

Rakku

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit View Post
    Absolutely seconded.

Rakku
    Thirded! Would save a lot of space, oh and we can make biped pan cake once a while....

»• Adventurer 100 | Crafter 100 | Lairshaper 100 | 100 Million Hoard | Expert Dragoncrafter | Expert Lairshaper •«

Heh, good thing they have recall. Maybe now would be a good time to mention my idea for a biped cannon!
    <----clicky!

Delaware, USA that little state no one knows about XP

There'd have to be some way to get unfortunate bipeds and hatchies out though. Recalling is rather annoying sometimes. Some kind of ledge that runs up the side of the tubs, like a spiral, but thinner; or a ladder. *shrugs* But yeah, the idea of flight tubes and rooms is pretty cool.
    Anariah, Callihan, Selarth, Osiron, Asandra, Azayan, and Zefani of the Order Shard
    Want a pic of your character? Click here!

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

Quote Originally Posted by BrightCat View Post
    There'd have to be some way to get unfortunate bipeds and hatchies out though. Recalling is rather annoying sometimes. Some kind of ledge that runs up the side of the tubs, like a spiral, but thinner; or a ladder. *shrugs* But yeah, the idea of flight tubes and rooms is pretty cool.
    hmm i don't know, bright -
    i see no prob with draggys biped proofing their lairs. i mean, should be more than reasonable - indeed, more logical - that draggys would want to trap or hinder a biped from entering or escaping a lair, and recalling may be a bummer, but get trapped behind some rocks (or in a semisubmerged house in the abandoned village by dryart - mw got in, but no matter what i did, i couldn't gt his fat butt out that door and had to recall. this was a bummer, as i was heading to dryart to attune to the port....) and you soon learn not to go there anymore......

i totally back draggys having the ability to arrange their habitats in whatever way they see fit, even if that means my biped can't get in. you don't just open up your house to anyone who wants to walk in off the street, do you?
    you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

Quote Originally Posted by velveeta View Post
    i totally back draggys having the ability to arrange their habitats in whatever way they see fit, even if that means my biped can't get in. you don't just open up your house to anyone who wants to walk in off the street, do you?
    Ha! Perhaps we should be able to put spikes or crocodiles at the bottom for the careless wannabe lair raider.

Rakku

Oh, I suppose that I could create a small chamber first of your lair that would require flight to get across. Maybe a small chasm with sharpened spikes down at the bottom of it... ;P But seriously, anyone remember the old red wall plot system? I don't know how many times I smashed my dragon's snout flying over a town when suddenly running into one. In a way, such an entry blocker would be the draconic equivalent. As fun as it sounds to have one, I'm not sure it would be a great idea.

But for the flight tube, I think that such a thing could end up being a trap for the unsuspecting. Imagine a biped or hatchling innocently going down one to the lower levels of your lair. They think it might be a great place to base their crafting from and bind to a shrine down there without realizing that there is no way to get back outside. From that point on, they are truly trapped and will either need to get dev help to get moved outside or will have to get into a selectable chamber and use setscale to make it vanish so they will pop out on the surface. If I make something like that when I make a pass at new dragon rooms later this year, it will have to be an elongated spiral so the ground pounders can get out.

That's why you /setscale out of the lair by standing in a silo and shrinking it. Instant elevator ride to the top!

Hmm, I don't suppose some sort of barricade around the flight tube would suffice to hold back bipeds and hatchlings? Just a simple fence, would be all. Enough that they couldn't just trip and fall down the hole by accident.
    <----clicky!

Hmm, I don't suppose some sort of barricade around the flight tube would suffice to hold back bipeds and hatchlings? Just a simple fence, would be all. Enough that they couldn't just trip and fall down the hole by accident.
    Or a Huge sign saying "Gerroff my lair!!" ... and perhaps another sign saying "Lair security provided by Tiddles Ltd" ... Tiddles being a 15ft high blood-crazed warewolf.

Hiding in the bottom of aforementioned chute?
    <----clicky!

Hiding in the bottom of aforementioned chute?
    Oh yes! With a suitable system of creepy dark passages for it to spring onto any wannabe lair raider without them knowing.

Rakku

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire View Post
    Oh, I suppose that I could create a small chamber first of your lair that would require flight to get across. Maybe a small chasm with sharpened spikes down at the bottom of it... ;P But seriously, anyone remember the old red wall plot system? I don't know how many times I smashed my dragon's snout flying over a town when suddenly running into one. In a way, such an entry blocker would be the draconic equivalent. As fun as it sounds to have one, I'm not sure it would be a great idea.

But for the flight tube, I think that such a thing could end up being a trap for the unsuspecting. Imagine a biped or hatchling innocently going down one to the lower levels of your lair. They think it might be a great place to base their crafting from and bind to a shrine down there without realizing that there is no way to get back outside. From that point on, they are truly trapped and will either need to get dev help to get moved outside or will have to get into a selectable chamber and use setscale to make it vanish so they will pop out on the surface. If I make something like that when I make a pass at new dragon rooms later this year, it will have to be an elongated spiral so the ground pounders can get out.
    Well just because you make a vertical flight tube, doesn't mean every lair would have one either. It would be the dragons choice to use something like that. However, I would be all for a thin (very thin) edge that could be used to escape out, so long as it did not interfere with the artwork of the tube. Overall this would likely be a pretty unlikely scenario I think (the ped or hatchy binding and getting trapped in somehow. which could be solved by them asking in market for help)

I'm thinking the tube would allow creation of some really interesting lair layouts.

One of the functions would be to have secondary connectivity to each level, making minor lair redesigns easier by reducing the number of connected structures that might need deleted to make a room change. In this scenario there would be alternate ways out for the walkers.

I have some other ideas for simple rooms/corridors. I will try and PM them.

hrm..perhaps the idea of a stonewall/fence would be more...biped friendly.

It would provide the barrier to "keep'em out" if a dragon wished to do so (you'd have to fly over - perhaps it would even be an extra tall room or something in order to do that), but would prevent the problem of ending up in a hole you perhaps couldn't portal out of -and you wouldn't have to come up with creative ways of climbing out (i.e. ledges or extra room for a really extended annoying spiral).

Perhaps one could even put slots on the wall for the dragon banner decor..so that it would be pretty as well as functional! Like a wall of dragon-art...(even if the game say just registered it as a unbuilt opening or something for mechanic purposes)
    Frith-Rae BridgeSol
    Great Elder of Keir Chet K'Eilerten
    Iea has returned.

Hmm, that would almost make it two rooms then, if it was just a fence... wouldn't it? Dunno how that'd have to work from a gameplay perspective.
    <----clicky!

Mayhaps you can "disgise the narrow hatchie sized path up as a lava flow/waterfall path? have it as a tube but a winding path of water/lava that both illuminates the "tube" and gives those a chance to scamper up to the landings?

Soraii

Quote Originally Posted by Soraii View Post
    Mayhaps you can "disgise the narrow hatchie sized path up as a lava flow/waterfall path? have it as a tube but a winding path of water/lava that both illuminates the "tube" and gives those a chance to scamper up to the landings?

Soraii
    I like that idea !

Ooh, decorative! Just hope those bipeds have flame resistance on their clothing.
    <----clicky!

Thread Information