Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Vista

Default Re: Vista

Just coming to the forums, got a bit nostalgic and thought I'd check if the game runs on Vista yet. Last time I was here was very hit and miss so left in frustration. Hopefully this fix will come in soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Syndic View Post
    Just coming to the forums, got a bit nostalgic and thought I'd check if the game runs on Vista yet. Last time I was here was very hit and miss so left in frustration. Hopefully this fix will come in soon.
    It still is. They are more interested in putting fluff out then trying to figure out why it doesn't run consistently. Monitor the Windows 7 thread to see what we find.
    100 Adventure/Crafter following the path of Helian

Expert Lairshaper
    Grand hall complete.

Quote Originally Posted by Death-knell View Post
    It still is. They are more interested in putting fluff out then trying to figure out why it doesn't run consistently. Monitor the Windows 7 thread to see what we find.
    This is entirely untrue. We are very much interested in making the game compatible with Vista and in fact there are people working on it daily.

But I can guarantee you that no player of the game (or potential player) wants myself, Velea, LaughingOtter, Solitaire or any other Art or Design person touching the source code of the client. Bad idea.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by AmonGwareth View Post
    This is entirely untrue. We are very much interested in making the game compatible with Vista and in fact there are people working on it daily.

But I can guarantee you that no player of the game (or potential player) wants myself, Velea, LaughingOtter, Solitaire or any other Art or Design person touching the source code of the client. Bad idea.
    Wish I could help but I'm limited to hardware. And it looks like windows 7 has the same issues as Vista when it comes to Horizons. I would hate to have to throw this game into my legacy game pile.
    100 Adventure/Crafter following the path of Helian

Expert Lairshaper
    Grand hall complete.

I used to play horizons now i have vista and it wont let me play does anyone know why this is? If you play horizons and run vista please tell me how you did it I would love to get out of hibernation

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

http://community.istaria.com/forum/s...t=consistently

both snake and i followed these instructions and can play - disclaimer: avoid rebooting as much as possible, as once you have to shut down, you will need to reboot, sometimes a lot, to get back in.
    Basically, if you can get the 'horizons.exe has stopped working' error message, you are in, once the proper sacrifice to the reboot gods has been accepted.
    you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

I'm not currently playing because vista wont let me.

Quote Originally Posted by Nefrett View Post
    I'm not currently playing because vista wont let me.
    Ditto. Although, frankly, I'm poor right now, so I'd probably have cancelled my sub anyway.

I'm not currently playing because vista wont let me
    Same, and expect the number to increase soon.

Windows XP it's a lovely Operating System but it's Copyright 2001...
    Vahrokh Vain - Ancient dragon level 100 adv 100 craft 34M of untainted, fireworks and other crap free hoard.
    Isarion - Reaver Healer Spiritist, many craft classes.

Quote Originally Posted by Vahrokh View Post

Aye very true... hard to believe I got my first copy 7 years ago... and back then there was still a large win98 backing due to the removal of dos. Thankfully we now have dosbox. That said Extreme Assault still won't work properly for me (you can hear everything but the screen doesn't update).

Rakku

Quote Originally Posted by velveeta View Post
    http://community.istaria.com/forum/s...t=consistently

both snake and i followed these instructions and can play - disclaimer: avoid rebooting as much as possible, as once you have to shut down, you will need to reboot, sometimes a lot, to get back in.
    Basically, if you can get the 'horizons.exe has stopped working' error message, you are in, once the proper sacrifice to the reboot gods has been accepted.
    Yes, that worked for me as well - in addition as noted elsewhere I always use the website (https://play.istaria.com) to log in - the Launcher doesn't seem to work for me.

[snip] But I can guarantee you that no player of the game (or potential player) wants myself, Velea, LaughingOtter, Solitaire or any other Art or Design person touching the source code of the client. Bad idea.
    This idea may have been thrown out there, but....

Has anyone thought of making (*just the*) client source code open-source? Maybe some can/will code up a Vista-friendly version......

Is'nt *just the* client rather a bit part of the game, though?
    <----clicky!

At least I can play on my desktop. Sometimes though I would like to play on my new laptop(vista) but can't. I have tried all the fixes listed on this forum and still no luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Favoran View Post
    Is'nt *just the* client rather a bit part of the game, though?
    Only in as much as it organizes and displays information sent to it by the server, using resources stored on your computer. The game mechanics themselves are still controlled by the server.

Having the ability to code a custom version of the client would allow you to change the appearance of the user interface, and low level communication stuff (socket connection code), but little else. The low level comms stuff is - presumably - where the changes would need to be made, to make a Vista compatible version.

If you are worried about the possibility of cheating, the only thing I can think off, offhand, that might possibly be done that can be construed as cheating, is that a custom-coded client could feasibly be made that could include macros and maybe triggers that could allow a player to create 'bots'.....automated ways to craft, farm cash, combat NPC's, etc. (Which may well be reason enough to not release the source code)

Anyhoo...was just an idea I was throwing out there, as I would like to see the Vista issue solved, ASAP....

Well since the server relies on the client for a lot of things, it would allow people to cheat (setscale or water bug anyone ? )

Rad, unfortunately when the original coders created the client they broke the golden rule : never trust the client. They coded a LOT of things into the client side that should be handled on the server. Even without altering the source code, you can manipulate things through the text .def and .ent files to do things you really shouldn't be able to do.

The client, even just the rendering code could not be made open source. The renderer uses several licensed technologies that VI can't just let anyone have access to.

Drev

Quote Originally Posted by Death-knell View Post
    Well here is one place I have to argue in "their" favor. I'm quite often seing where amon is telling us there are more inportant things that need to be taken care of before sertain fluff suggestions made by myself and others can be implemented, I know this because I participate quite a bit in the suggestions forums. My guess this is in reference to the Vista fix right now. Please give them some slack.

* snuffles curiously*
    [Visit The Order Underground]

Quote Originally Posted by Vahrokh View Post

Hmph, I was very happy with my windows 2000 untill everyone decided the were not going to support it anymore. Can't even find device drivers for newer stuff on it anymore.

* snuffles curiously*
    [Visit The Order Underground]

While I definitely agree that its generally a bad idea for artists and animators to work with engine source code, having worked with a number of artists, is there any current status for a working Vista client? More than just 'Its being worked on'?

Honestly, it seems like this should be nearly at the top of the priority pile. Microsoft's next OS, 7, is pretty much Vista with an extensive service pack, and Horizons suffers from the same issues. With it getting harder and harder to find a PC with XP, or find drivers for new PCs that user's have downgraded to XP, it'd be very smart to get Horizons working under Vista ASAP.

Thread Information