Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unity Status fix?

Growl

Default Unity Status fix?

Just wondering if there are any plans to fix the server status on the log in page?.
    I am curious to know what the peak loading on the server is, now that we have merged and I am concerned that potential new players could be put off playing as they could be led to believe that the server is allways off-line, particualy as the nice big red message telling you to ignore the status is has scrolled off the page.

Cheers,
    Growl

Default Re: Unity Status fix?

Would be nice to see this fixed. I might be wrong, but as I understand it, we need Game Network to have the login site updated to the new launcher site we now use on the NA shards. This also requires the installation of Microsoft's .Net on the client computers, which some people will not like but undeniably puts Artifact Entertainment in a better position to roll out their new stand-alone launcher when time and circumstance permits.

In the meanwhile, anything that can be done that will show the shard status will be a bonus, I've heard quite a few people who have commented on the downside to always seeing the shard listed as offline and it would be nice to put an end to those comments [:)]

Where I work we have an expression, "own a problem".

If my boss gives be a task to solve I own it, and must quickly resolve it.

If I took as long as GN to resolve issues I would be out of a job.

Its not like its game breaking, but its quiteannoying to have small bugs like these that you see every time you play, left unfixed for weeks or even months..its like the gathereing animation that was broken, dunno how long that one took to fix.
    100 Warrior |100 Guardian |100 Healer
    Unity [former Ice]

wich one would you pick ?

Hehe , yeah.. that was a good one ;)
    Another one that was around forever was the fact that dark stalkers did not count
    as cursed wolfs in the counter.. That one was fixed about a week before the "fake" merge , which removed them..

Isair Maelowyn [Retired]

W00t W00t!! Now it appears to be fixed, shard Healthy, population low, finally someone got around to it [:O]
    100 Warrior |100 Guardian |100 Healer
    Unity [former Ice]

wich one would you pick ?

Growl

Thanks to whoever fixed it. I know it wasn't a major item, but it annoyed me

Cheers,
    Growl

Hehe, I had a sneaky feeling that something wasn't right with the shard status... So the shard has gone down for maintenance, but I figured I'd log into my account and see what the shard status message says. Would you believe it, half an hour after the shard has gone down, it still says it's up, that it's healthy, and population is low !

See for yourself by logging in (providing they don't notice this message and change it quickly) or by viewing this screen grab I just took of the website :

http://www.blue-technologies.org/blu...s/upordown.jpg

Now I'm having bit of a giggle about this, but which is worse, shard statussaying it's down when it's up, or saying it's up when it's down ? [:P]

Edit : Just tried logging in to the shard with a batch file instead of the website to see if it really was online, and it seems it is down despite the shard status message. I wanted to confirm that before someone else tried it, only to find the shard might still be up.

PS over an hour after the shard dropped us for maintenance and it still says it's up [:)] I appreciate the sentiment of addressing a player concern, but band-aids won't do the trick when surgery is needed [;)]

Growl

Following Tzael's revelation that when down for maintenance, the shard still shows online, very healthy and low population, I thought I would select "view Source" for the web page and spotted this section in it
    <center>- Shard Status -
    </center>
    <br />
    <table style="FONT-SIZE: smaller; COLOR: white; FONT-FAMILY: 'Arial'">
    <tbody>
    <tr>
    <td width="33%">
    <center>SHARD</center></td>
    <td width="33%">
    <center>STATUS</center></td>
    <td>
    <center>CURRENT POPULATION</center></td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <td>
    <center><strong>UNITY</strong></center></td>
    <td>
    <center>VERY HEALTHY</center></td>
    <td>
    <center>LOW</center></td>
    </tr>
    </tbody>
    </table>

Now, perhaps someone who is a lot better then meat HTML can confirm, but to me it looks like the status is not a link or a lookup but just text, nothing more. If so that is a really cheap trick GN have pulled on me

Cheers,
    Growl

lol this would be funny if it wasnt so sad [:(]Or is it this is funny because its so sad [H]

Bleri McThrust - Dwarf
    Unity - Formerly Ice

i'm sure there is some code. And if there, we cant see it, only the server can.
    I'm not a pro withing HTML, but something i know. And i know that codes we cant see.

Abbie
    Abbie: 100 Sorcerer, 100 Wizard, 100 Conjurer, 100 Chaos Warrior

Lystiga

Some would call it Fraud, other maybe with chance "they are to incompetent to fix such a information".
    I don't know what I prefer to call it.
    But one thing is for sure, its clearly shown, why there no onebelieve GN anymore.

Lystiga

Boryon

It could just be dynamically generated HTML...

Boryon

Jaelle_earth

yep i looked through the sourcecode of the loginpage myself and there it is (i just brought some order to it to read it better...

<!-- <table id="serverStatus" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="3" border="0" style="width:100%;border-collapse:collapse;">
    <tr>
    <td class="heading" align="right" colspan="3">- Shard Status -</td>
    </tr>
    <td align="left" class="heading">Shard</td>
    <td class="heading">Status</td>
    <td class="heading">Current<br>Population</td>
    <tr>
    <td style="font-size:8pt;font-weight:800;color:#FFFFFF;background-color:;">Unity</td>
    <td style="font-size:8pt;font-weight:500;color:#FFFFFF;background-color:;">Offline</td>
    <td style="font-size:8pt;font-weight:500;color:#FFFFFF;background-color:;">Offline</td>
    </tr>
    </table> -->
    <center>- Shard Status -</center>
    <br />
    <table style="FONT-SIZE: smaller; COLOR: white; FONT-FAMILY: 'Arial'">
    <tbody>
    <tr>
    <td width="33%"><center>SHARD</center></td>
    <td width="33%"><center>STATUS</center></td>
    <td><center>CURRENT POPULATION</center></td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <td><center><strong>UNITY</strong></center></td>
    <td><center>VERY HEALTHY</center></td>
    <td><center>LOW</center></td>
    </tr>
    </tbody>
    </table>

... it really is just a TEXT, theres no function which actually checks the servers status... now i think that is PATHETIC.

You get a page like this when its created on serverside. Meaning it reads status and creates and sends a html-page that looks like that.
    I don't think its a hardcoded page at all, even if it looks like one when viewing source.
    Smith Black
    Tinker/Blacksmith/Gatherer
    Cleric

Growl

Smith,
    I can understand every individual word in your reply, but lack of technical knowledge prevents me from understanding the sentence :). Do you mean that you think the status could still be a real, live meassage and not a fixed, permanant bit of text?

Cheers,
    Growl

Still waiting to wake up and find it has all been a dream...

Shaw el Shadai Moking
    'Coming at ya...like a spring!'

Con

So he does.Here is a shortexample of the sourcecode just a bit further below. It also shows nothing more than simple table commands as well as plain text, including my character's name. The page (or indivudual/variable parts of it)isdynamically created.

-------------

<tr>
    <td class="heading" colspan="2" align="right"> - Player Adventure Summary - </td>
    </tr><tr>
    <td class="heading" colspan="2"> - Varaenion - </td>
    </tr><tr>

-------------

Of course its very weird, that the server status now permanently shows Unity/Very Healthy/Low, regardless of time (low during prime time as well as early morning hours) or even serverdowns. Therefore one thing you can say for sure: It does not work.

Varaenion

Quote Originally Posted by Boryon
    It could just be dynamically generated HTML...

Boryon
    Indeed, it could well be dynamically generated, in which case, the shard status feedback doesn't work [:)] No other explanation for why it showed the shard as online all through maintenance [:D]

Anyhow, lighten up folks, this is a great source of amusement - we got our wish, we didn't want the shard status showing offline when in fact it was up [;)] Now all we need to do is clarify our wish - a working fully effective shard status message is what I'm wishing for now *g*

Nice to see that some here knows some HTML but you should cool down a bit. What is producing what you see at your screen at home? Most likely Internet Explorer and that browser understand HTML, and some other junk that we can see with help of plugins. But what or who makes the HTML that send to you:

1. Static Html is produced by a person and cant change untill the åersom who wrote it, changed it.

2. Server side CGI similair programs changes the HTML code you see from the server. They are server based and not client based like Java nor VBS or any plugon junk you might have and I assure you, that coding CGI with either Perl or C is not an easy task and you will never be able to see at a Webserver what produced the document you see. And if you dont understand anuthing im talking about here, well then sit there and laugh about the the way Hyper Text documents are presented for your own eyes.

One tip: Look at the HTM code for this page: How did the text end up in each message at this board? Well most likly it came there in exact the same way as the Healthbar that Unity server presents.

Isnt it so that you rant about something you dont know anything about?
    Time for a break.... *wonders where all ranters at Unity forum comes from when Ice forum was so clean and nice*
    Vanaondo
    The RP guild Kushan Sogd at Harro, Unity Shard
    Download and install Pekkas Map Pack v2.9 today and HCC 0.26 Beta is there too

Thread Information