Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Scholar Revamp Discussion

Default Re: Scholar Revamp Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by awdz View Post
    the scrolls sound really cool but i don't want to lose capability i actually use... is there any timing estimate for me to work up spellcrafter against? *tries not to panic*
    You know better than that No ETAs. But it IS my current project.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

also, what about spell forms scribed only at expert level? i assume i'll still have them but be unable to use them until i get spellcrafter leveled up, but it'd be nice to be sure. or would you consider an exchange for the scroll forms for the same effects?

i really like the idea of the consumable spell effects, especially if they stack with potions the way spell effects do now. i'm curious how the damage shields will differ from the wards/resists... will they do damage instead? ooooh, a scroll of cloak of thorns?

*wanders off thinking of all the scrolls to be made someday*

Hmm, I really wouldn't want to waste all the expert spell forms I've got scribed. On the other hand, new skills!! New items to make!! Yay!!

*Joins Awdz on levelling up spellcrafter*

Sounds good. One question, will using a scroll impact scribed spells cooldown timers (of the same spell)? If you had "revitalize I" as a spell and you used a "revitalize I" scroll would they share timers?

Oh my bad , revitalize is not on the list for scrolls. I guess for the scrolls that are going to be the same as exisiting spells (boons) it wouldnt matter much about cooldown , as they are quite short anyway.

Would it not also be a idea to have scrolls being slightly worse then their actual spell counterpart? For instance a scroll could have 95% of the effect that the true spell does (might need to be lower or higher depending on balance issues), this would prevent certain classes being less popular due to there being replaced by a piece of paper

On the terms of cooldowns, i would assume seperate cooldowns as you do not actually cast the spell but just read the scroll....
    Tarskin Ranawen <Scions>
    Male dragon of the 28th season, Order Shard

Quote Originally Posted by Tarskin View Post
    Would it not also be a idea to have scrolls being slightly worse then their actual spell counterpart? For instance a scroll could have 95% of the effect that the true spell does (might need to be lower or higher depending on balance issues), this would prevent certain classes being less popular due to there being replaced by a piece of paper

On the terms of cooldowns, i would assume seperate cooldowns as you do not actually cast the spell but just read the scroll....
    you still need spellcrafters because of "normal" damage spells that the scholars can't make ... so there is no reason to make scrolls worse then spells. both means work.

I guess a lot of this we'll have to see when it gets closer to roll out. But would enhance scrolls eliminate the use of raise spells? Meaning, if in a class that cannot cast an enhance, where the player would normally have to use raises, would the existence of enhance scrolls eliminate the need for said player to cast raises?
    Quote Originally Posted by Random Poster
    I'm gonna post in this one too!

Back to one of Velveeta's questions:

Can we have a disk attached when we port? Assuming it's a porting disk?

I had one scenario pop into my head that could be problematic for my characters. Now between the fact I just rolled out of bed and am still sorting out biped things I might be totally off base here.

I have two bipeds, one is mage and planning to go spellcaster if for nothing else her ice bolt formula. I had a horrible time getting t2 ice bolt spells for her as my dragon couldn't get the quests for the formula and at lv30 she was much too little to do it herself.

My other biped is shaman and my plot builder. She is specializing in the building schools and more a generalist for the others. She is my scholar and am I going to run into horrible problems with a lv39 spellcraft cap when it is time to get her epic spells?

Dracaena

It would be nice if a variant of the teleport spell could be used to gather members of a hunting party. Perhaps improved group assembly speed would encourage more group hunting?
    ____Kulamata Quality Armor___
    None Genuine without this Pawprint `',''

Achiever 86%, Explorer 60%, Socializer 46%, Killer 6%.

Quote Originally Posted by Kulamata
    It would be nice if a variant of the teleport spell could be used to gather members of a hunting party. Perhaps improved group assembly speed would encourage more group hunting?
    Although I've played other games that have this feature (summon group), I can see some negatives, i.e., summoning a hatchling to mage tower or a Draak attuned character ports there and then summons a hatchling on ROP there, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Random Poster
    I'm gonna post in this one too!

What if we are 100 in scholar, will we lose points? If we lose points, how will that affect us with the emblem showing that we have completed all crafting schools to level 100?

Quote Originally Posted by Peaches View Post
    What if we are 100 in scholar, will we lose points? If we lose points, how will that affect us with the emblem showing that we have completed all crafting schools to level 100?
    The FAQ already answers this. You aren't losing levels, you are losing skill points.

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

What does this mean for existing Scholars? Existing Scholars will not have their levels or experience that they have already gained changed or altered. However, moving forward, they will be subject to the Primary Skill change, as will any new Scholars. They may also experience a loss of skill points in Spellcrafting due to the capping of the skill at level 39.

Sorry I was confused by the above message.

Thank you for clearing this up for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Peaches View Post
    What does this mean for existing Scholars? Existing Scholars will not have their levels or experience that they have already gained changed or altered. However, moving forward, they will be subject to the Primary Skill change, as will any new Scholars. They may also experience a loss of skill points in Spellcrafting due to the capping of the skill at level 39.

Sorry I was confused by the above message.

Thank you for clearing this up for me.
    All a level 100 scholar will lose (assuming they do not also have level 82 or higher spellcrafter), is some of their spellcraft skill. Scholar will not get points in the spellcraft skill from level 40 on. So the skill will be 312 base I believe, since level 39 is the last level to get any skill (39 levels x 8). If you have spellcrafter at level 82 or higher, you will see no change in your spellcraft skill. The tier of Rune Stylus you can equip might be affected also.

No scribed formulas or techs will be deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by Guaran View Post
    All a level 100 scholar will lose (assuming they do not also have level 82 or higher spellcrafter), is some of their spellcraft skill. Scholar will not get points in the spellcraft skill from level 40 on. So the skill will be 312 base I believe, since level 39 is the last level to get any skill (39 levels x 8). If you have spellcrafter at level 82 or higher, you will see no change in your spellcraft skill. The tier of Rune Stylus you can equip might be affected also.

No scribed formulas or techs will be deleted.
    Level 82? Spellcrafters gain 10 points per level in that skill so they will pass the 312 mark when they reach level 34.

I think this is a great idea that will work. It provides something worthwhile for crafters and adventurers, dragons and bipeds. I think it will also stimulate the spell making economy too.

Hell, this is so exciting I may have to start playing my biped just so I can try the new school out. Woo hoo!

*offers a toast to Amon* Love your work.

Blog Entries

I like this idea, I like this idea allot. It will go well with characters who like to do spell crafting and call themselves scholars cause they can now actually /be/ scholars.

Also may give me a reason to create a character later who is into the spell crafting / scholar thing, because Azkain really isn't that type!

I do have a question, and I don't believe anyone has asked this yet. These scrolls that we can make, can we, like spells once we craft them, sell them on the Consigner or trade them to people to use?

Or are they just self only, which I doubt, but I thought it be a good question to ask.

Next is, will there be any plans off this for scholar to say, not just do 'spell' writing to cast buffs/heals/teleports, but could you, (in the future), us one of this skill to actually maybe write letters to people?
    Like make one of these scrolls, not create it for a spell, then right click on it, hit the option that says, "Make letter" or something, and then write a letter on it. Once done, maybe mark as to who it is for, seal it, and then either..
    a) Give it to them yourself
    or
    b) deliver it to a npc who can deliver these letters/scroll to whom it should go too.

I also doubt that would be possible, but I thought I just ask to see.

Quote Originally Posted by neva View Post
    I do have a question, and I don't believe anyone has asked this yet. These scrolls that we can make, can we, like spells once we craft them, sell them on the Consigner or trade them to people to use?

Or are they just self only, which I doubt, but I thought it be a good question to ask.
    they are meant to be made and sold/traded. That is a key component of the system.

Thread Information