Thread: Porting

Default Porting

Hope this is the right place for my question,
    While loading game and porting it really seems like an awful long time for game to load sometime 2-3 minutes or more.
    Is this normal.
    I have windows 7 64bit..
    8 gigs of 800 speed ddr3
    2- EVGA Geforce 260's with 1gig ddr3
    xfx 750i Sli nforce mobo with 3.6 core2 duo
    Dont think its my rig, I never have trouble playing any games set on highest graphics possible.
    Maybe I missed something ingame settings or is this just normal?
    Thanks for any input.

Default Re: Porting

In the launcher, on the Character Select screen, there is an "Options" button. On the Options screen make sure the box next to Clear World Cache is unchecked. When checked it is persistent and requires player to begin rebuilding cache at each login. When unchecked the game loads drawing from cache in the client on your computer. Each time you port to a new location the cache is built and next time you port to that location things load faster.

Perhaps this is not the problem in your case but it is worth checking.

Knossos

If you want to turn off the load screens that you get everytime you teleport the command line is -

/setpref useloadingscreen false

enter this in an chat window and of courst to turn them back on -

/setpref useloadingscreen true

Don't know if this is what you're referring to while porting in game or not?? but hope it helps.

Just Me,
    Tim - Hakiem
    The Circle Turns - The Worlds Pass
    If We Seek Tomorrow - Today Won't Last

Thank you both for the replies.
    The problem i seem to have is the actual time to load the game and the time it takes to port from 1 town to the next.
    Seem to take A very long time..Enough time for me to make a gin and tonic...walk the dog and have a cigarette.
    LOL, Seriously it takes 2-3 minutes.
    I have checked and the Clear World Cache is unchecked.
    Havent tried hakiems.. /setpref useloadingscreen false but will tonight.

Yeah thats normal with horizons.

Due to the engine design which contains thousands of tiny texture files, all of these have to be accessed one by one and loaded.

On the other hand, if the design of the game engine was using big chunky files (eg. Blizz games using MPQ packages), then its easy for program to go in a single file and jump inside using pointers, as that is faster.

The Istaria's engine WOULD run faster than the single-file way IF 1) Multithreading was possible 2) you had RAID HDD 1 setup for faster access. This way, the PC would be able to fetch files many times faster =)

Yes, the cache helps greatly as the system does not have to download all the player objects and surrounding environment and grabs it from cache instead. Its good to spend one day to pre-cache your HZ, porting from town to town. At least theoretically..

I wonder if a fan-made hyper-thread multi-core app could be adapted by Horizons as it works for single-thread Sup. comm and using auto-30 sec run, it distributes the processes across all available cores.
    Then again, depends how well is Istaria code written and if it is threaded or not.

-TGD

Thread Information