Thread: Spawn Nerfs

Default Spawn Nerfs

I remember the days when some mobs (especially those not social) would have much more dense spawns, like the Tier 3 golems near the Valley of the Moon in Trandalar.

There used to be a spawn, where there'd be 30+ golems there at all times. They were easy to pull and you would never run out of golems, you just pulled them away from the gem pile and fight them in safety there.

Now, the place only has a few golems of each type, and there's no real "safe place" to fight them unless you drag em clear up the road now. I think I liked it better before, to be honest.

Also, on the subject of golems, I remember when the same Tier 3 gem golems were more plentiful near that tower in the desert (I forget which tower that is... the one West of Tazoon), both above and down in the valley. Now, it is a few here and there.

Trying to get trophies (or the tech comps) can be a real chore now with the scarcity of these golems.

I'm finding that anymore, mobs that ARE social tend to have huge dense spawns (undead......) and mobs that are not social, you find 1-3 here and there (golems!).

I think it should be the other way around TBH. Social mobs, since they're always linking to each other *should* have somewhat fewer numbers to allow players to actually fight the stupid things, instead of packing 20-50 mobs in a 10m radius (that are oftentimes instant-respawn, especially undead and some ogres/pygmies), and those that are not social, should have more, to ensure players do not run out of things to fight when trying to gain XP or loot.

Either way, I'm trying to do my biped's levels and it sucks that the only few 51-56 mobs I can find for trophy turn-ins, are few and far between except for gold golems and oak treants, both of which I've already done 10+ turn-ins of. I wanted to do Jasper golems, but after scouring the Tazoon desert for them and only finding 6-8 trophies after half an hour, that just did not seem like a wise investment of time to me, and after going up to Trandalar and taking nearly 20 minutes to get about the same amount of trophies, I just wound up logging off and giving up on that.

On a somewhat related topic:

Harder mobs should drop trophies more often, no? Why do the Winter Mountain Wolves almost NEVER drop trophies? You might get -1- in every 10 wolves. What's up with that, anyways? Wolves are aggressive AND social, and have fairly mean attacks (including a multistrike, a debuff, AND a bleed), and are hard to hit and evasive almost like spiders. Meanwhile, golems are easy to hit, are seemingly weak against blunt, are NOT social, and only have a bleed (later ones get a multistrike). But, golems drop trophies much more often than the wolves. This just doesn't seem right. The wolves' trophy drops should be increased, too.
    Last edited by Dhalin; August 8th, 2010 at 01:51 PM.

Default Re: Spawn Nerfs

What I've noticed is that in each trophy level range, there is one mob that drops a lot of trophies... the others don't. Of course after you do the trophy quest 5 times, you get much less xp for subsequent turnins so you end up killing the same trophy mob over and over and over.

I wish the drop rate of trophies was more consistent. Obsidian Boulder Golems for instance, drop tons of trophies. Obsidian golems not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerech View Post
    What I've noticed is that in each trophy level range, there is one mob that drops a lot of trophies... the others don't. Of course after you do the trophy quest 5 times, you get much less xp for subsequent turnins so you end up killing the same trophy mob over and over and over.

I wish the drop rate of trophies was more consistent. Obsidian Boulder Golems for instance, drop tons of trophies. Obsidian golems not so much.
    It is actually 10 turn-ins until you get 1/2 exp per turn-in.

And yes, trophies need to be "normalized" across the board, so that either:

1). All mobs drop trophies equally as well;
    2). "Harder" Mobs have a higher chance of dropping trophies.

With #2, I mean, mob *families* as everyone knows what mobs are hard, and what mobs are not. Social mobs should drop more trophies than non-social, as they are difficult to pull and fight without getting multiple mobs on you at once. Mobs with stuns, multistrikes, etc should be considered too.

Currently, the only real "reason" to go hunt, say, wolves instead of golems, are tech comps. They give the same XP seemingly (except for multiple enemy bonus, heh...) and the HV drops aren't _that_ much different (unless you're fighting lava golems.. lol), and gruoks no longer drop coin.

An increased trophy chance could be something to balance them out. More trophies = more XP for fighting them = More reason to hunt more dangerous mobs. Those who want an easy time, can still do the golems and beetles, while those who want faster leveling and don't mind a greater challenge, can go after the harder stuff.

I wish it were possible to actually do this, revamp all of the spawns and all of the loot in the game. Unfortunately it would take at least a year of solid work with the size of the staff we have. And, furthermore, to do it right would require many months of planning before implementation could be done.

Unfortunately we can't stop work on everything else and work on a single project for 1 1/2 years.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Thread Information