(Hey all, been awhile since I posted up a story. Maurger's been very busy though, and it's about time to move his story along. This is part 1, but there should be about three parts total and I'll get them out sometime this week. This is mostly a conversation with Nyoko and his activities in Chiconis. Enjoy~)

“Dragons must unite as a people, elder. We have a splintered and broken future if we do not. I do not mean to lose the Helian completely – you would still have a very important role to play in the new society-”

“The idea that the dragons must unify and lose the culture of Helians? Preposterous!” Semeneth exclaimed. The green dragon paced rapidly about the chamber as the black one watched. “And who are you to be asking for such a thing? I’ve never even met you before – how did you ascend without speaking to me?”

“This has little to do with me, elder Semeneth, and everything to do with the future of our race. In this factional world, much can happen that passes completely out of your sight, and ideas, technology, and strength cannot be shared. If we do not come together as a people, we could still be on the path to civil war that Helian tried so valiantly to avoid,” Maurger said, sitting on his haunches. He had been talking with Semeneth for some time, trying to convince him that the factions had to change.

“Our race will never war with itself. To fight another dragon, to kill another dragon, is against Drulkar’s most sacred laws,” Semeneth said with a snort.

“And how many dragons today even still know those laws, Semeneth? Even if you taught them to all your faction, what about the Lunus? Can you be sure that they-”

“I trust Valkoth implicitly! His political views may be misguided, but he is Dragon. He leads his flock as best he can, but I know for certain that he follows the ancient laws, for he is a Dragon worthy of his position and respect.”

“But both you and he are getting on in years. Sooner or later, you will have to be replaced. Can the same be said of one who takes his place?” Maurger asked.

Semeneth hissed. “Leave my presence at once! Do not return until I call for you!” The elder stood to full height; though his form was aged, there was still plenty of power left within it.

Maurger lowered his head. “As you wish, Elder. I see that logic does not reign in Chiconis anymore.” Semeneth seethed as Maurger left.

Meeting up with Amalteah, Maurger rested by the gate of Chiconis and churred his frustration. Amalteah had been a constant companion for him of late, and he had been very thankful for her. Without her, his plans could not have moved as far as they had. Spending time with her put him back into high spirits and he was smiling at all who passed the gate.

A green dragon passed near, intent on using the gate. Maurger smiled to her. “Ah, glit’sita Nyoko. Temaga niea?”

Nyoko blinked and tilted her head to the side. “Surprised seeing nien two here.”

Maurger chuckled. “Just because I disappear like a ghost doesn't mean I don't reappear somewhere else.”

Nyoko also chuckled. “Iea suppose so. Well, da let Iea interrupt nien two.”
He smiled at her, resting a wing over his black companion. “Oh, no interruption. What are you up to, Nyoko?”

“Glit’sita Nyoko,” Amalteah said, bowing her head a bit.

Nyoko hummed a soft greeting to her before looking back to Maurger. She tilted her head in thought, as if unsure of her answer. “Exercising, Iea suppose. Iea needed a break from k'iea lair.”

Maurger nodded. “Always g'rei. Body and mind both must be kept in shape.” He chuckled suddenly, adding, “Have to stretch my wings form my lair too. Though the rest of me is certainly kept in shape.”

Nyoko chuckled quietly, agreeing, before looking around. “Ae is a lovely day to be out, so Iea figured a flight would do good. Usually da see others here though, which is why Iea was surprised.”

“If you recall, I am trying to mediate. I am waiting for Semeneth to cool off before I return to him,” Maurger said. He had taken on the responsibility to mediate problems between the factions as suggested by Nyoko.

“If nieo upset Semenoth too much...”

Maurger shook his head. “D'na worry. Helians are supposed to listen to reason better than Lunus. I expect he'll come around eventually. The old ones, at least, understand the need for debate and discussion. It will be hard to convince them to abdicate their power. Those who have power prefer to hold onto it and exercise it.”

“Perhaps...or...perhaps ae may be easier to invite aen...as voices of wisdom? Then ae will da seem as if aen are just being tossed aside. Perhaps aen pride is getting in the way,” Nyoko suggested.

“When I approached him, that is what I offered to him. That he and his way of thought become an integral part of a unified dragon society.” Maurger sighed. “He went on about how the world needs Helians and that their viewpoint on bipeds was more pertinent than ever, and so on.”

Nyoko pondered a moment. “Well, aeo is set in k'iea ways.”

Maurger nodded. “It will take time to convince him, I suspect. But the reality of our world is that Helian and Lunus both are out of date. We need a reevaluation.”

“Or a change of heart. Ien can da hope to change a society, if the society aeself is in need. Ae is like fixing the symptom but da the disease,” Nyoko said.

“A'na, there is much changing that is required...” Maurger churred. Amalteah sat beside him quietly, tail twitching in the grass.

“But by whom?” Nyoko asked.

“Whoever who can, who has a better future in mind,” Mauger said. “It seems to me that if we wait for another to do it, that person might not truly have the world in mind, or would change it for something worse. Such it was for us when Ashlander came along, and for the world when Torrin did.”

Nyoko looked uncertain. “D'na waiting...but knowing. Sememoth...is set, but perhaps aeo ways are da so outdated. If ien fight k'ien ways in with the old ways, and even of the ways before the schism, would da a better way be found? To say something needs...reevaluating, how are ien sure that the way ien want is the correct way, without taking into account the g'rei things that are?”

“Reevaluation does not necessarily mean erasure. There are many good thigns that exist now that should continue to exist, like Pride and Honor, and Wisdom, and Patience... But the Helian and Lunus fight over something they cannot change - the epitome of futility - and it has driven a wedge between dragon and dragon.” Maurger lifted his head high. “That must not be.”

“But those were there before. Aen were da part of the schism. Though Iea will admit the foolishness of the Dragon mind in insisting in futility, well...” Nyoko still looked torn for some reason. It made Maurger somewhat frustrated, but he hid it well. Amalteah, however, did not. She leaned her head down on her paws, huffing a little, and began to count the grass threads with her eyes. She had no clue of understanding their complicated talks.

“I do not mean to deny people their choice to how they should feel on bipeds. But nor should it be the forefront of politics since we have no choice but to rely on them at this moment due to the Aegis,” Maurger said, continuing his conversation anyway.

Nyoko chuckled softly. “Iea have yet to find a biped Iea...have to rely on. However, ae is true...the Aegis, the Blight, ae is growing, and ien need to come together, despite k'ien differences.”

“As for what the Schism has earned us... what has it, truly? Did the Helians advance our knowledge of primal magics? Do we have spells equal and surpassing those of biped casters of their various arts? And the Lunus - did they create new ways of fighting, utilizing techniques that had never before been seen and giving way to different paths of study? No... the Lunus and the Helian cling to traditions even far older than they are. I am not saying this is a completely wrong thing, but we are being left behind, and we cannot share ideas.” Maurger’s chest puffed out as he spoke, his wings high. A better world was just within reach…

Nyoko chuckles softly. “Nieo sound vehement.”

Maurger smiled. “I must be. For I face opposition from all sides and stare down opponents as unyielding and often as unthinking as the Aegis. They will be made to listen, for if they do not, we will splinter further and fall apart.”

“How will nieo make aen?” Nyoko asked.

“Persistence.”

Nyoko smiled. “That...is da a guarantee, k'iea friend. One can be persistent, but if the other is equally persistent, then ae is like rolling around in the mud with pigs, but the pig enjoys ae.”

“Well. I have other options, too,” Maurger said, murring thoughtfully.

Nyoko furrowed her eyeridges. “Iea hope aen are nonviolent options.”

“Of course. I detest needless violence. It is all my father ever gave me as a hatchling,” Maurger said. Yes, his father…

Nyoko hummed a soothing melody at Maurger. “Thank nieo. Iea would hate to see a society built on the blood of others. Iea would rather remain more alone then Iea am now, then to see that.”

Maurger churred. “D'na. I do not wish things to come to blows. If the leaders will not listen, then I shall birth a new faction that allows one to be Helian or Lunus. Time enough, if successful, it will phase them out regardless of their desires.”

“Ae will take time,” she said.

Maurger nodded. “I am a patient dragon with a great deal of love for both his kyn and the future. I will take whatever time I need to see my dreams realized, so that others can as well.”

Nyoko hummed softly at Maurger. “Iea wish nieo luck then. However, Iea think ien may be boring Amalteah here...” Amalteah lifted her head at this.

Maurger chuckled and nuzzles Amalteah. “Oh, perhaps. But I don't *always* bore her.”
Nyoko chuckled softly. “Ah, so aea is kor nieo mate?” Amalteah nuzzled him back, chuckling a little too.

“Mm, I do suppose so.” Maurger grinned at Amalteah. Amalteah purred as he said that.

Nyoko hummed softly at them both. "Iea do offer k'iea congratulations then."

Maurger smiled wide. “She will make a great mother. And I thank you, Nyoko.”

Amalteah bowed her head. “Thank you as well, Nyoko.” The group spoke for a time on personal mattered until Nyoko was called away to finish her exercise. Leaving the two behind, Maurger nuzzled his Matron and looked up towards Semeneth. That old fool had not listened any better than Valkoth had. Something would have to be done about them.

“Maurger?” Amalteah asked. Maurger looked to her. “Ausixen contacted me.”
Ah, excellent, Maurger thought. If he knocked over this last piece, the whole board would at last be open to him. “Is it time? What are you say?”

“I’m trying to invite him home,” Amalteah said.

Maurger grinned. “You are so direct.”

Amalteah finished her mental conversation with the purple that vexed Maurger so. “He is on his way, and so am I. I’ll see you at home.” Amalteah stepped through the gate, leaving Maurger alone.

The black looked down at his hand, his skin taking on the texture of gel and quaking with anticipation. “Now to see if my first plan has worked… Oh big brother… one way or another, you will no longer stand in my way.” The black rose and spread his dark wings, taking to the air and flying from Chiconis.