Thread: Talk to the Team: Daily Quests

Hybrid View

Default Re: Talk to the Team: Daily Quests

Very well explained, Losian. Better than I have, for sure.

I might be the only one, but feeling that the current topic is very, very broad and has, since discussions started, gotten sort of muddled.(since you mention quest earned items such as tech kits). There's Daily quests, which involves tech kits and tokens, which involves epic mobs, which involves epic items, which involves crafting and vendors for tokens, which involves what to put on the vendors....*Would keep going in circles, but meh*

So, clarification on the 'problem' would be much appreciated. I feel that "we've" jumped straight from the problem into tokens and daily quests, which is skipping a whole lot (or I might've missed a thread >_>)

You are correct, the problem has become muddled. The problem that has brought about this discussion is this: There are many items in the game that are obtained via quest or are very difficult to obtain or even can no longer be obtained. We would like to provide a more deterministic way for players to obtain them. That is, a way that players can work towards a goal that they are sure they will achieve at some point.

Daily Quests and the use of Tokens to buy items from Vendors have been put forward as one good way of handling this issue.

Other solutions include selling them for coin (but I cannot even imagine how expensive they would have to be to compensate and make it so that all items could not be purchased in a week) or some form of repeatable quest which would require significant content work and planning for each item (something we would rather not do).
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by AmonGwareth View Post
    You are correct, the problem has become muddled. The problem that has brought about this discussion is this: There are many items in the game that are obtained via quest or are very difficult to obtain or even can no longer be obtained. We would like to provide a more deterministic way for players to obtain them. That is, a way that players can work towards a goal that they are sure they will achieve at some point.

Daily Quests and the use of Tokens to buy items from Vendors have been put forward as one good way of handling this issue.
    Please leave epic loot out of it - or, rather, have epic loot still drop as normal, and have dailies on the mob that earn tokens to get some epic loot otherwise. (didn't someone else suggest this?) Mostly because there are some bits of epic loot that people aren't even sure are on the loot tables they drop so rarely. Even the most common hunters still strive for various peices. And would serve those with little luck too - and should still mean players keep their will to hunt (there's a chance that-thing will drop, you don't -need- the daily). Just make sure it takes a long time to get a peice so greedy players don't get too big of an advantage (you know who you are. you with the at least 3 of everything except for the super rares and still a new player compared to some vets..:P)

On legacy items and tech kits, i don't see it too bad of an idea. Certainly better than some repeatable grindy quest, or one big line for each thats impossible to complete. (both take more work anyway i believe) - it's a nice middle between both.
    Although i still have a few issues against "It'll become a quest you want to do and have to log for" (because there are a lot of people who like to work quickly, and will put the effort in to do this every day. Only, after a while, those might need to visit a pit of snakes and do the daily just to have some sort of motivation and some sort of fun still in the quest.) The thing about dailies is - they kinda
    inadvertently force the player to do them. As Alisto said - it's the fact you've missed that oppertunity and can't go back and get it. Even if it still stands the next day i wouldn't want to be one step behind because the daily got so much of a chore i missed it.
    But keeping that aside, for legacy items certainly, i don't think it's a bad idea. Even if your brain rotted out after doing the dailies, you'd be getting a wonderful reward that i think with most legacy items, is definitely worth the effort of doing everyday to eventually get one. Tech kit replacements too. They're a thing that would work well with dailies. In most cases (most anyway) you put the tech on knowing that in the future, somehting more ideal could come out. But, knowing a second can be earnt it kinda takes the pressure away. You can actually test and spend kits instea dof saving them and hoping they work when that-ideal-item comes out, because even if it doesn't work, there's stil a way to get another.

I've read through the thread thus far, and like Amon want to thank everyone for their thoughts.

I'm hoping, though, that someone can clear up the "If I don't log in and do these quests daily, I'm missing something" mentality. Do you feel that way if you don't log in each day and build at least x% of your plot? Or gain x% of a level (or multiple levels)? Or gain so much coin? Or whatever your goal is. I personally do not, but perhaps that is where the thought comes from?

The timer is individualized to your character. So if you don't log in on a particular day, you don't log in, it isn't that you are missing anything.. at least, nothing more than you missed because you didn't log in and play that day. If your goal is to maximize your gain (whatever that gain is), then yes, you need to log in daily and work toward that goal.

We are trying to give more tools and options and to appeal to a broader audience. Adding Daily Quests, even if that does make us "more like other games" does just that. It appeals to those who come to a game expecting repeatable, daily quests that help with leveling, with some sort of gain for their character. Not sure I'm understanding how anyone is experiences some sort of loss if daily quests are not their thing and they choose not to do them.

I am only talking for the legacy items here, but why not have quests that are repeatable but only give a legacy item the first say 3 or four times you do them?

Another idea would be a vendor where we can trade in epic items, or we can sell back a teched piece and receive the epic tech back as payment. The only thing with this is for this to work we would need a way to remove spells from our spell book to gain back a couple of the techs like mental bane...

Quote Originally Posted by Velea View Post
    I've read through the thread thus far, and like Amon want to thank everyone for their thoughts.

I'm hoping, though, that someone can clear up the "If I don't log in and do these quests daily, I'm missing something" mentality. Do you feel that way if you don't log in each day and build at least x% of your plot? Or gain x% of a level (or multiple levels)? Or gain so much coin? Or whatever your goal is. I personally do not, but perhaps that is where the thought comes from?

The timer is individualized to your character. So if you don't log in on a particular day, you don't log in, it isn't that you are missing anything.. at least, nothing more than you missed because you didn't log in and play that day. If your goal is to maximize your gain (whatever that gain is), then yes, you need to log in daily and work toward that goal.

We are trying to give more tools and options and to appeal to a broader audience. Adding Daily Quests, even if that does make us "more like other games" does just that. It appeals to those who come to a game expecting repeatable, daily quests that help with leveling, with some sort of gain for their character. Not sure I'm understanding how anyone is experiences some sort of loss if daily quests are not their thing and they choose not to do them.
    I don't actually understand this mindset either. If you made the daily's linked, so that you had to do Daily A on day one to unlock Daily B. then yes I could understand the complaints but otherwise it leaves me scratching my head.

Personally I would rather dailies than these darn trophies clogging my vault and inventory.
    Last edited by Calyndrell; March 26th, 2014 at 03:48 PM.

I am finding the whole issue of objections to this rather odd considering daily quests to get epic items and obsolete items was discussed and generally supported in this thread.

I don't mind daily quests, and I don't take an issue with them at all. They were meant to be implemented so we can obtain items that can't currently be obtained such as the lost dragon techs, and items that are a pain in the rear to get hold of such as Reklar's Tail Scale Piece 3 and piece 4 of the sash, to name but a couple in that long standing gripe of epic loot. These as well as obtaining lesser versions of spell techs (e.g Mental Bane), which many have mistakenly misused or wish they would have saved to put on other revamped/new items later.

The one concern I have with all of the objections to daily quests, is that the feedback I have read so far just does not come across to me as constructive in a way that I can find any sway with the objections presented. I can see that everyone agrees that we want the missing dragon techs back, ways to get those almost near impossible to get epic loot pieces, and ways to get copies or a second chance at these one-time quest items, but no one so far has offered a way to do just that other than the daily quest system or what has already been discussed in previous threads for these items and issues. I can see the argument against dailies and its reasons, but I don't see a better alternative presented as an option for us to get what we have been crying out to have for over five years now. Thus, I can not have or agree with an objection to the idea of daily quests for these items.

The answer to me is straight forward from that stand point. If you don't want to do dailies, then don't do them and it really is that simple. Just because you don't like something doesn't mean it shouldn't be offered to others or taken away from other players as an option.

Yes, the implementation might mean a daily quest system makes us 'like other games' but last I checked those other games have a better retainment of player base, which is an issue for this game. As much as it destroys my moral sensibilities, one of the things about successful mmos is that they do have a slightly addictive quality through their quest reward systems and this often involves time-restricted or daily quests. However, if I run into the case where I feel that I must or have to do a daily/weekly/monthly/time-restricted quest, then I will be doing a self-check on whether or not the issue is with me and not the reward/quest systems of the game.

You see an Ice Wall Corner, I see a Tardis.
    "

"Pen Pineapple Apple Pen"

Thread Information