Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: So, what's wrong with grouping?

Default Re: So, what's wrong with grouping?

Quote Originally Posted by Finduilas

My biggest gripe with the current game is the lack of regular mobs due to spawning problems and the difficulty of soloing the WA. At level 75 the deadpool is too easy and gives no exp, and the WD and aug battleground is just too tough cos the mobs are same level but fight as tho 20 levels higher. I wouldn't mind the WA being group only if I could find eonough solo mobs.
    On a side note, have you tried the Northern continent? You mentioned t2 and t4 undead areas. Northern continent has a bunch of t3 undead.
    PersonalJustice the Demon Slayer - Chaos

Master Crafter: 1900 Levels

WTB Undead Legions. Paying $12.95/month

I always found Trandalar to be frustrating because of the lack of map. I like to mark down points of interest on it. The map pack might have the northern continent, but I get fed up re-installing it everytime we get a new patch.

WA mobs at T3 might be good for drops, but exp would be cack. It's like fighting a level70 for level 50 exp. WA at level 75-80is like fighting a lvl 95 100 but for 75-80 exp. At least a level 90 golems, whilst a test, gives good exp.

Doesn't matter anyway, since I quit already. Once I can do racial AND class quests with my elfranger, and the spawning system is fixed so I can do trophy quests, I'll look at returning.

Quote Originally Posted by AA0
    I don't think you know enough about rangers and fightin in the WA....I am first to admit that ranger is probably the best soloing class out there....I can solo there, but now its is VERY VERY slow [ 2-3 min fight ]and deadly with mobs grouping.
    Hmmm...I solo Tier6 WA twice as fast [ 1-1.5min fight ]as you solo Tier4 WA; yet 'you have the best soloing class for area' and 'know more about fighting the WA than I'. It seems your soloing skills are surpassed only by your logic.
    Quote Originally Posted by AA0
    that besides the point...
    Not really, your soloing habits/skills were my point.
    While statements such as"you have to run in, pull and run back to the shore (if you don't have a ranged attack)" comeing from a Ranger made it clear that you were not only talking about yourself. Other statements written in the 1st person clearly indicate that you have difficulty with the area as well. Such as :
    "I can solo there, but now its is VERY VERY slowand deadly"
    "I have no problem taking a few in a group, but they have to be fair, as they stand now... its not possible to solo out there"
    "Right now, I just need the very rare comps for my t5 armour and jewellery... the total is 1.9g off the veilo. Now is that fun or challenging? All it ends up being is grinding money off the easiest thing in the game, mithril or a lower level t3 mob that I can mass slaughter."
    "If you don't make a game were everyone can solo at their own level, all you are going to end up doing is ruining it for the people that do group. I am getting very close to being forced to do that"

Though it was quite obvious that you were presenting a caseabout all the players for whom the area is difficult or unsoloable. I couldn't make suggestions for every possible character build. Nor did I care to try. I just tried to help you and you have made it quite clear that you have no desire to play better:
    "A ranger doesn't pull with dispirit because a ranger uses their lightning arrows and range to stay alive."
    'A Ranger doesn't pull with dispirit because a Ranger' doesn't get dispirit. Whether or not it is a good idea for you to pull with dispiritdepends on what kills you more. Being 1on1 at 30m or getting adds when you pull.
    "The effect of lightning arrows is similar to dispirit anyways, no need to put it up twice."
    So foolish of me to think you would want the mob to attack/heal/debuff slower. Thatwould mean you get hit less + it heals lessallowing you tokill it faster and have less chance of dieing or gaining adds while engaged. What was I thinking?

"Evasive style on most of the mobs out there is a joke, the mages make no difference,"
    Seems to work for me. In combat vsa lv75 zombie warrior; Evasive Style + Illustrious Stance [ exact same effect vs melee according to AE's post on combat dynamics ] makes thedifference between being hit85% [11 hits, 2misses] and 31%[7hits, 15misses]. According to AE the evasiveabilities dodge and block work vs magic, since dodge is based on evasion vs attack skill it is equally affected by both ES and IS vs either acaster or melee enemy. Since dodge vs a basic evade isn't differentiated in thecombat readoutit isimpossible to be sure what is dodged vs evaded.
    For info on combat dynamics see:
    http://community.istaria.com/Web/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2105

"If things get bad, we use flurry to live, usually its an offense ability, but out there you need to save it for when stuff goes bad, evasive style and flurry are on the same timer."
    Since flurry is also blocked by energize you would be tradeing the use of flurry vs evadeing moreand shooting/casting faster. Orsince you love flurry andfights take you 2-3 mins you could be useing perfect spell [2min reset] after long shot and flurry [3min reset] as soon as target is in range.If any adds; you are ready with perfect spell in effect to stun/root them [T3+T4 shocking blast with T3 range techs will stop 2 ofthem before they get in range for them to cast] and fall back out of agro range before useing flurry on primary target. Staying out of range should not be an issue as I am faster than any mob out there and as a Ranger you are faster than I, for short durations which is all you need to be.

"and there are a few with low melee skill but high dodge,if I use evasive style there my CoT hits less, and there is no other way to hit them."
    While this works for a multiclassed Druid, it is a bad tactic for any w/o full heals to try and out heal incomeing damage.

"Using growth when pulling seems smart, but in a 2-3 min fight, and only low tiers of growth the results are craptacular. A smarter move is to pull from max range and hit with lightning arrows to slow them down and not reach you as long as possible."
    Ranger has the same max Growth as Druid; Growth 3. It takes less time than 1 bow shot and even if only 3x as strong as growth 1 that is an average of 255 health regened which is twice the average damage taken in a hit from most T4 WA.

"And finally even with 1000 base strength, I do horrible damage out there. The mages I might hit for 95, but the shamans are more like 45. I guarantee you, in healer or bloodmage you do a tremendous amount more damage than I. A ranger without my fitter levels would not do 45-50, they would do under 20 damage a hit... cloak of thorns and healing is the only way to beat those things."
    Odd that I useing horridmelee skills [current: 1H Crush - 928 /Str - 620 / Dex - 663]and useing a lv51 mace [base damage 37-42] can do more damage on average [38]vs a lv80 Oracle [shaman type] than askilled ranger[w/o increased str] useing a fine yew longbow [base damage 39]. Perhaps it is from testing damage types and knowing that crush and energy are worthless while flame and cold are both effective, cold just a touch better on average. If somehow [though impossible]that is your best damage possible with pierce/flame/energy/cold then perhaps getting those 4 lvs of conjuror should have been done sooner than soloing in theWA. +10 damage is a25%increase to what you have posted you do vssome WA.
    Yes with my bolts mydamage range as healeris twice that which you post, though it also takes longer to cast a bolt than it does to fire a longbow. My damage as bloodmage is probably 3x what you post, but I know better than to think damage is whatkeeps me alive soloing and rarely solo WA as a bloodmage. Defense and heals are the key to survival, both of which I am better off as a healer. As is likely you would also be better off as a healer useing a fine yew xbow[base dam 83]than as a ranger useing a fine yew longbow[base dam 39].

"if I have problems with a character designed to be durable and survivable, others have it worse. I can imagine a dragon and monk giving up after many DPs."
    Every biped class can be made effective with a bit of multi-classing. Dragons are a different issue and I am not going into them atm. As to being able to solo WA at level; no one should be able to single classed. The WA are ourPrimary Enemy in Horizonsand should be stronger than a single classed player or Adult Dragon of the same level. Healer is not meant to deal damage or take agro which is why most likeus have dual classed with another that provides better damage and evasion useable as Healer.I know I could not have taken them at level with useing just Bloodmage abilities/skills. I would have a difficult time doing so at lv100. I doubt I could as a lv100 Healer, though to be sure I would need to get a set of armor/jewelery/weapon up to my level andwith melee techs[Tier3 same as now]vs casting techs. As is I missed too much as a melee Healer [less than40% accuracy]to kill much of anything out there.

Vahrokh Vain - Ancient dragon level 100 adv 100 craft 34M of untainted, fireworks and other crap free hoard.
    Isarion - Reaver Healer Spiritist, many craft classes.

I think you meant this -

http://img144.exs.cx/img144/6272/dedhorse6jw.gif

Anyway, a stated intent of Horizons is more chracter to character interaction, thus grouping and its XP bonuses. Of course that leads to more challenging monsters, social ones, and possibly AI. However, certain classes and races rely on being grouped (is just hard on characters that have a more solo RP due to player desire or lore) in order to fight these stronger monsters. If not, they can't really enjoy that content, can they.

Edit: of course, during such groupings there should be more interactive character to character to monster interactions then exchanges of single syllable words.
    Jaraiden -- Adult dragon, life mate of Shadowwalker, bonded 7/31/04 (Dawn --> Order)
    Adult 73/82 | hatchling 56/65 (70.8 days) [3/9/04 to 3/4/05, 4/12/06 to 4/13/07, Current]

1. Fix what is broken. -- 2. Finish what is incomplete. -- 3. Add to complement lore.

Thread Information