Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scam Warning

Default Scam Warning

I'd like to put out a scam warning on something that happened tonight. We had a guild member of 2 wks (wilie reeds) ask to borrow funds to purchase a plot.I lent him 250s of guild funds to help him do so, noting that he had been in guild for a while. He had also accepted 100s from a fellow guildmate (Darwins).

After taking the money (with narry a thank you), he immediately de-guilded and logged out. He then appeared in GM chat (on Chaos) and asked if he could join a guild that would provide him with money to buy a plot. When I challenged him, he immediately logged out.

Be wary of this char (wilie) and anyone doing something similar! Be careful about giving out loans to folks who haven't proven their loyalty, it may be a scam!

Aamer has been notified as to the incident, and will hopefully blacklist this char and any alts.
    Foxfire Godspell, Ice Queen of Istaria, Dark Defenders
    Manta Guild Community @ Collinswood
    Knoc/Conj, Mastercraftswoman -and-
    Ravagice, Horde Fueled WunderWyrm

Default Re: Scam Warning

Wow, that's pretty low...I hope you get your money refunded
    Death is the ultimate dilemma and integral to the beliefs and behavior of every culture. Life is bore on the corpses of the dead. Without death, there would be no motivation to do anything. The only emotion would be existing. Life would be pestilent and agonizing.

Ssilmath Torshak
    Paladin of Kass, Master Armorsmith

A warning is always appreciated, sometimes we get too cosy and forget that not everyone's nice as pie [:)]

Fact o' the matter is that regardless of what game we play, there will always be scams like this. Hell I deal with possible scammers every time I play one of my old faves, it doesn't even have a trade window ! In it I just hand over my cash and hope the person I'm dealing with hands me back the item I'm purchasing [:)]

Basically I think what I'm saying is that while the warning (and reminder) that these things happen is worthwhile, I hope folks don't make too big a deal out of it because it's part of how some people play the game. We just learn who is worth trusting and move on. Anyhow, what's a game without the occasional bad guy to liven up our game experience ? [;)]

Quote Originally Posted by Tzael
    it's part of how some people play the game. We just learn who is worth trusting and move on. Anyhow, what's a game without the occasional bad guy to liven up our game experience ? [img]/Web//emoticons/emotion-5.gif[/img]
    For order shardthat is good, but this took place on Chaos shard

Thanks for the warning.

Fireclaw Longtail - Chaos Shard - Ancient Lunus Dragon
    100 Dragon Adventurer / 100 Dragoncrafter / 28 million hoard

Quote Originally Posted by Foxfire
    I'd like to put out a scam warning on something that happened tonight. We had a guild member of 2 wks (wilie reeds) ask to borrow funds to purchase a plot.I lent him 250s of guild funds to help him do so, noting that he had been in guild for a while. He had also accepted 100s from a fellow guildmate (Darwins).

After taking the money (with narry a thank you), he immediately de-guilded and logged out. He then appeared in GM chat (on Chaos) and asked if he could join a guild that would provide him with money to buy a plot. When I challenged him, he immediately logged out.
    That players actions were against the rules. Send TulgAE the chat log or screen shots and demand that player be banned ask TulgAE to take proper action. Simple.

d. The customer may not defraud other players. Fraud is defined as falsely representing one's intentions to make a gain at another's expense. Examples of this activity include, but are not limited to, using deception to deprive another player of items, slandering another player or impersonating them with the intention of causing harm to that player's reputation, or falsely representing one's identity in order to gain access to another player's account or account information. Fraud in any transaction between players may result in disciplinary action.

Jaraiden -- Adult dragon, life mate of Shadowwalker, bonded 7/31/04 (Dawn --> Order)
    Adult 73/82 | hatchling 56/65 (70.8 days) [3/9/04 to 3/4/05, 4/12/06 to 4/13/07, Current]

1. Fix what is broken. -- 2. Finish what is incomplete. -- 3. Add to complement lore.

lol

Umm its not like its hard to make money anyway. Why scam people that are just trying to be helpful.

I will never understand why people do something like this.

Sad news indeed. My other game was full of scammers, so much so, that it made the game unenjoyable, especially for folks who like to help others out. I haven't seen ANY scamming going on in this world, guess they found horizons now. ;(

Sad indeed. Thanks for the heads up!

DenyRecall
    While Deathpoints < 1000
    Move Scammer To T6_SpawnArea
    Wait until Health <= 0
    AutoResurrect Scammer
    Wend
    PermitRecall

:p

I have verified this information to the best of my ability. So far, the scam did take place.

I will make every effort to contact the player involved, to hear his side of the story.

However. We as the community need to police ourselves. To that end, once the investigation is complete, don't be suprised if he shows up on the Herald Report as our newest "Most Wanted"
    As a new dawn rises over Istaria, may we all band together to meet the challenges!

Continuing Development of Horizons... SWEET!

I did put in a support ticket and uploaded my chat file, so we'll see what AE/Tulga does. The money isn't all that important to Dars orme personally, but we do want this type of behavior squelched hard and fast.

I recall this wilie creature in MP chat a few weeks back. Did something or other that betrayed an extreme lack of game knowledge, like trying to auction an IBM for 10s minimum or bidding on an expert form when he's a BLK level 3. People asked him some questions and he got a bit evasive about 'buying it for a friend' etc. Then he started asking about joining a guild to make money. People told him to talk to others about their guilds and see what he liked, etc. I just wrote him off as a PL'd n00b after seeing he was a level 54 Warrior highly teched with Ignorance III.

On the bright side, this kind of nonsense is pretty rare in HZ. Most people are decent, generous, good-hearted players.

Ingo Nosdracir - Chaos - Human Paladin ++
    Nimah Nosdracir - Chaos - Human Warrior/Cleric
    Ogni Nosdracir - Chaos - Dragon Hatchling

I have to say this is the first kind of 'bad action' Ive seen in Horizons. So far, 99.9% of the people ive talked to, grouped with, traded with, ect, ect have been totaly cool and mature (spelling?).

side note, Ive been checking on the WoW boards, checking out the game, the players (not all, but most it seems) appear to be 6 year olds PLers just running around causing as much trouble as possible.
    Im very glad Horizins is not like that. I like the community we have here.

Quote Originally Posted by thefatone

side note, Ive been checking on the WoW boards, checking out the game, the players (not all, but most it seems) appear to be 6 year olds PLers just running around causing as much trouble as possible.
    Im very glad Horizins is not like that. I like the community we have here.
    sorry gonna call you on this load of crap. The Bnet kiddie syndrom I have found was cooked up by people who play games like Horizons, Ashersons call, Shadowbane and a few other smaller titles. Why ? because the fanbois of these games are scared that WoW will kill their game. When any MMO intellectual worth their salt knows that WoW competes differently with Horizons and is in no way direct competition.

the worst experience I ever had was with a player in Horizons. I have had zero issues with WoW and its amazing to see the response and helpfulness when *gasp* the horde invades one of our alliance cities. So I have yet to see this immature bnet kiddie syndrome that the fanbois of this game so insist occurs.

Please at least approach your points in a thread that makes it off topic in the first place with a little thought and consideration as to the facts less you look rather silly.

As far as this incident goes Horizons is not immune to this as it happens with every MMO out there big and small. If you think Horizons was some shining jewel that could avoid the various morons out there you are sadly mistaken and woefully misinformed as to how the real world functions.

Beyond my own personal experience with BNtet Kiddies (which was NOT pleasant) I've read many a post on the WoW boards and elsewhere that they are still out in force in the online version of WoW.

So, once again, Try, I'll call you out on providing hard facts or statistics for your "factual" spouting. Got any? I thought not . . . .
    Before you criticize anyone, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you criticize him, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have his shoes.

Rhaiannon

This guy should be dragged out into the tier 6 areas, killed, autorezed, untill he rips his computer from the wall! Scamming should not be permitted, too bad we cant get notified of any alts this guy creates.....

on the side of bnet kiddies, Im currently playing both HZ and WoW. i see around 40 on at any time in wow, this is the first time ive heard it in hz. And no, WoW = pvp action focused between the horde and the alliance, HZ = pve focused against the Withered Aegis. Personally, i think HZ is a better game than wow, since im still playing it after a year (2 chars, maxed dragon, lvl 15 biped), and im slowly getting bored with WoW after a month (15 chars, 10 over 30)

Ae/tulga/HZ gets their lag fixed, some content in, and events going (maybe change the name of the game for a re release) It could still smoke WoW and EQ2 [:)]

Dars and I were returned our money by Customer Service. (tyvm!)

I doubt I'll be told what discipline may have been taken with wilie. [img]/Web/emoticons/emotion-16.gif[/img]

Glad to hear this, The ae staff are full of great poeple [:)]

Corelleon

Quote Originally Posted by Foxfire

Be wary of this char (wilie) and anyone doing something similar! Be careful about giving out loans to folks who haven't proven their loyalty, it may be a scam!

Aamer has been notified as to the incident, and will hopefully blacklist this char and any alts.
    wilie? That guy is such a lowlife. I was on a group hunt which I rarely go on, with high lvl people and someone brought this low lvl thing named willie - he was like lvl 15 or some crap. He ran around looting all the monsters, dying over and over and screaming for rez and telling people that managed to get loot to give it to him. I finally left after about 10 minutes of no one saying a ******** thing about it. When I spoke up I was told 'he's a n00b give him a break"
    The guy is a major leech/thief/pain in the ******. I'm sorry you got ripped off. PM me and I can tell you what guild he's in now.

Quote Originally Posted by Tryagain
    lol

Umm its not like its hard to make money anyway. Why scam people that are just trying to be helpful.

I will never understand why people do something like this.
    ok uhm money is npot hard to get?
    but that wassinking low...lower then ive seen someone sink in game so far...and i thought calling a dragon alt a pet was sinking low but thats nothing in compareson
    Do Not Meddle In The Affairs Of Dragons For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketsup
    Ssafire-lvl 100 Cleric, 100 Bloodmage, 100 Mage, 100 Druid, 90 Monk, Saris
    Safiretalon-lvl 66 dragon adventurer, lvl 32 dragon crafter, lvl 14 dragon lairshaper.
    Guild: Dark Defenders
    Horizons player since: December 21st 2003

Thread Information