Thread: Horizons and NAT ?

Default Horizons and NAT ?

Does Horizons like NAT at all ? My wife plays behind an older DSL router and that network is using NAT(NAPT) to access the net on two laptops.

When she is hooked to that network she gets dropped immediately upon logging in and getting a transport error. I am assuming HZ doesn't like what NAPT is doing ??

Default Re: Horizons and NAT ?

one other thing THIS only happens when the other computer is logged into the network and is actively using the internet. If it is not logged in she can play just fine. Which leads me to believe that horizons does not like NAPT.

Been running NAT/Masquerading on various Linux PCs to give my home network access to the internet and I've had no network problems for the past four or so years with 4 PCs that can be used for online gaming. All run fine without dropping connections. (Although I can't control what happens to the network services beyond my house)

We've run multiple Horizons and AC1 clients without skipping a beat, and at the same time any of the other PCs can be running COH, L2 and any one of a few different betas over the years.

So NAT isn't a problem at my house.

I really don't know what could be your issue, and would suggest the usual stuff, resetting hardware, updating firmware, installing patches, even swapping out the DSL router if you can get your hands on another one.
    If you're running a wireless LAN, I'd suggest using SP2 for XP PCs and use the default XP wireless driver rather than the one supplied by your card manufacturer.

http://www.portforward.com

great site, should have your answer, and there's much more to it than the name.

SP2 is a must, there's many, many fixes to teh core windows OS applied there (not public)

It sounds like the old router may have a limit on the kind of NAT/PAT it can do. IE, it may only support NAT, and then only over well-known ports, like www, ftp, smtp, etc. Everything else it only supports 1 computer at a time. Some cheap/old router firmware had a hard-coded limit on the number of computers it would do NAT for.

XP SP2 actually has broken more network setups than without, so if you recently upgraded to SP2 and are having problems, join the club.

Erus Ex Universitas -- Erus Ex Istaria Guild Home

1. Fix what is broken. -- 2. Finish what is not complete. -- 3. Start something new.

Just did a corporate wide rollout SP2, no issues for a month so far....

Home machine, cable setup, no wireless. same.

I did read about SP2 issues during the initial release, however a lot has been fixed since then.

Thread Information