Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dragon Spell Suggestions

Default Dragon Spell Suggestions

You want spell ideas? You got 'em!

Title (Type)
    -Basic summary
    --Comments

Primal Gouge (Common Spell)
    -An attack that deals damage and also add a bleed/DoT effect.
    --Umm. It’s pretty self explanatory. Cast the spell and deal direct damage to the enemy while also applying a damage-over-time effect.

Drulkar’s Wrath (Epic Spell)
    -Mirror of the Burning Archer attack quested for by Elemental Archers.
    --As explained above. Just switch the visual effects from an archer shooting a bow to an image of a giant dragon spitting out fireballs perhaps and leaves the lasting effect of combust

Ancestor’s Revenge
    (Epic Spell)
    -Another mirrored spell, this time of shinning blades.
    --Not much to be said. Does a good deal of damage and perhaps has a few dragon ghosts sprouting from the ground and rending the enemy. It could even spawn a few minions to fight for you perhaps? Yes. Yes, that would be good.

Sky’s Rage (Possibly Epic Worthy)
    -Equivalent to Burning Sky or Lightning Storm
    --The dragon can use the ‘victorious’ emote and call down fire from the sky, or summon an electrical storm.

Meditation (Healing Spell)
    -An intensified Refreshing Breeze spell that heals quickly and almost completely at the expense of lost time.
    --The dragon can heal itself for almost 100% of its life, however, it must give up the ability to fight or move for a certain length of time. Cannot be cancelled while being cast, or cancelled if the dragon moves.

Primal Burst (AoE Common Spell)
    -Essentially a prime bolt that hits multiple targets.

Primal Haze (Common Spell)
    -Well ranged spell that slows the movement of oncoming enemy/ies

Helian’s Word (Self Damaging/Healing Spell)
    -Akin to Self Sacrificium
    --If this isn’t Helian-like thinking, then I don’t know what is. Think Dragonheart. The dragon gives a portion of its own health to a comrade.

I've got a ton more rattling around in my head, but I figured this was enough for now. Let's hear some others! :3

Default Re: Dragon Spell Suggestions

For the epics i would rather like to see the Dark Cyclone effect and Soul Gate effect borrowed, they look more draconic to me.

Like the soul gate for drulkar's wrath and mabye Tempest Cyclone for Dark Cyclone or stuff.

»• Adventurer 100 | Crafter 100 | Lairshaper 100 | 100 Million Hoard | Expert Dragoncrafter | Expert Lairshaper •«

Aye. Like I said, I'd rather see them make something new and entirely for dragon spells as far as visual effects. It was the type of damage effect I meant to have mirrored
    Last edited by Hraefn; October 6th, 2008 at 09:11 PM.

Foster Potency (Common Buff Spell)
    -30 minute duration buff to focus and power
    --Caster version of Promote Vitality. Just change the modified stats.

Surge of Ferocity (Common Area/Group Buff Spell)
    -Very short (maybe 30 seconds to a minute) group-wide buff that increases all damage by spells and melee attacks. Long cooldown (5, 10 minutes?).
    --Meant to be used either when facing a very tough enemy or to burn things down when the group gets in trouble.

Zephyr (Direct Heal + Heal Over Time Spell)
    -Minor direct heal followed by a HoT for the same amount. Similar cooldown to the breeze spells.
    --The total amount healed I'd imagine to be a bit more than the same tier Primal Health. Castable on others.

Raze (Common AoE Spell)
    -Medium range, wide area, high damage, high casting time, long cooldown AoE
    --I imagine the numbers to be something like 15, 7, 40-45 for T1, 50, 60 seconds. Looks like waves of primal 'flames' that radiate out from the caster.

Annihilate (Common Single-Target Spell)
    -Medium range, high damage, high casting time single target attack spell
    --Very similar to Fiery Strike. I'm thinking it'd look like a pillar of primal energy.

A Numbing Haze would be incredibly useful, but I feel it would be very overpowering. Maybe if it was given a long cooldown.

.:Malestryx:.

Aegis Shatterer - Scourge of the Scourge - Blight's Own Decay

Quote Originally Posted by Raptress View Post
    Foster Potency (Common Buff Spell)
    -30 minute duration buff to focus and power
    --Caster version of Promote Vitality. Just change the modified stats.

Annihilate (Common Single-Target Spell)
    -Medium range, high damage, high casting time single target attack spell
    --Very similar to Fiery Strike. I'm thinking it'd look like a pillar of primal energy.
    I can't agree more with these ones, as they are exactly what I wanted to suggest in this new thread.
    I would just change the names to Promote Knowledge (not a new suggeston though) and Primal Beam (with an Energy Strike animation).

We would maybe also need a damage over time like Immolate in the Flame spells line. Primal Combustion as exemple.

However, if a few more spells would be nice, I don't think we need many more as Dragon spells are already some of the most powerful spells in the game: Blast is the most powerful non-epic area of effect spell and the Prime Bolt is the second most powerful bolt after the Ice one. So we don't really have to complain that much about the current set.
    Firebrandcrest Arma: Ancient Helian Dragon | Dragon 100 / Dragon Crafter 100 / Dragon Lairshaper 100 / Dragon Crystalshaper 100 (Order) | My MODs: Zexoin's and Firebrand's Sound Emotes Pack v2.5.4.0, Alternate Dragon Bolt Casting v1.4, Old Istarian Ambiance v1.0.8.

Speaking only for myself, I've never complained about the current set. The thing I'm complaing about is that the selection is so... miniscule. We get a total of six spells that do damage, and that's including two prime bolts. None of which are all that pretty to look at (though I do like the red and black dots :P).

My point isn't over damage though. I want more selection. I'd like nicer looking spells for casters. I want spells that are actually worth looking at. Something I can find an 'Ooo, Ahhh' factor in. I want to go through a battle using only spells while resorting to prime bolt for only a few moments.

Heck. Copy and paste some of the biped spells already in game and throw them into a dragon's spell catalogue! Even that would be funner than the piddly selection we've got now.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebrand View Post
    I can't agree more with these ones, as they are exactly what I wanted to suggest in this new thread.
    I would just change the names to Promote Knowledge (not a new suggeston though) and Primal Beam (with an Energy Strike animation).

We would maybe also need a damage over time like Immolate in the Flame spells line. Primal Combustion as exemple.

However, if a few more spells would be nice, I don't think we need many more as Dragon spells are already some of the most powerful spells in the game: Blast is the most powerful non-epic area of effect spell and the Prime Bolt is the second most powerful bolt after the Ice one. So we don't really have to complain that much about the current set.
    The only reason prime bolt seems powerful in comparison to other bolts is its insanely long casting delay. the amount of dmg over time I think if analyzed would should its more average.

Keep in mind that some mobs are more vulnerable to various damage types than others. So while prime bolt hits certain mobs hard, it hits others averge or less effectively.

If I was going to suggest a change to prime bolt it would be to speed up the casting speed without lowering the damage too much. This one change and I might pull the caster scales out of the vault, where they've been for over a year.

I think one of the major shortcomings of Dragon spellcasters is the time involved per hit. When using melee, you can blast through Gold Rage, Silver Strike, Ravage, Bite, Galewind, Tailwhip, Breath of Fire, and Staggering Howl in the time it takes to get off three Prime Bolts. Now, obviously, spellcasters make up for this in damage, but when you miss with a spell it makes a far greater impact on the battle because of the time required for the next spell to come. I think that, while the current repritoir (probably wrong spelling) isn't lacking too terribly, some additional, more ability-like spells would go over great.
    <----clicky!

In Istaria, the higher delay, the bigger damages. Even if they wanted to alter the delay of the Prime Bolt, we will never see the current effectiveness of this spell with the speed of the Energy Bolt. Furthermore, being buffed with a Gift of Alacrity is not the hardest thing to get and with it you can cast with a very decent rate.
    And if you miss too much and are bothered by the delay, you just have to improve yourself as a caster after all.

High delay has another advantage: the extra damages (Pierce, Gale, Romp effects) are delay adjusted. The higher delay, the higher chance to see the effect processed. Extra damages are a significant part of the damages dealed with a Prime Bolt: I evaluate them to at least 1/3 of my damages with my Prime Bolt. Having a reduced delay would also reduce the chance to see it process: I'm not sure the penalty will worth the change, except if the bolt is really faster.

Regarding my own experience, Primal Resistance is not a real problem as we have powerful Primal Resistance debuffs (Unrelenting Winds and Cripple effect). Mobs with high armor level are much more a problem.
    Firebrandcrest Arma: Ancient Helian Dragon | Dragon 100 / Dragon Crafter 100 / Dragon Lairshaper 100 / Dragon Crystalshaper 100 (Order) | My MODs: Zexoin's and Firebrand's Sound Emotes Pack v2.5.4.0, Alternate Dragon Bolt Casting v1.4, Old Istarian Ambiance v1.0.8.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebrand View Post
    Extra damages are a significant part of the damages dealed with a Prime Bolt: I evaluate them to at least 1/3 of my damages with my Prime Bolt.
    I agree !! Using the right crystals I can do up to 1000 damage per bolt. The problem is it doesn't proc often and I'm still slower than a meleer. That wouldn't be much of a problem if I had not to use power scales to do decent damage, and thus lacking armor so much. (wow I hope I got that sentence typed right...)

Sooo... in the end, as a Caster I am much weaker than a meleer. If I had powerful enough spells or abilities (like... you know... What caused the other thread to be closed....) I wouldn't have to rely on power scales and could use armor ones, like I do for my Lunus alt.

Even if only 2 or 3 of the spell ideas Hrae and Raptress suggested were implemented, it would make casters much happier and I'd play Zex more often >_>

Edit : more casting-oriented epic gear would be nice too. Right now we only have the Reklar scale, but few groups to hunt Reklar (at least when I'm on).

Quote Originally Posted by Favoran View Post
    I think one of the major shortcomings of Dragon spellcasters is the time involved per hit. When using melee, you can blast through Gold Rage, Silver Strike, ... Now, obviously, spellcasters make up for this in damage, but when you miss with a spell it makes a far greater impact on the battle because of the time required for the next spell to come. I think that, while the current repritoir (probably wrong spelling) isn't lacking too terribly, some additional, more ability-like spells would go over great.
    Quoted for emphasis. We're all kind of derailing the thread though, Fellas.

Quote Originally Posted by Zexoin View Post
    I agree !! Using the right crystals I can do up to 1000 damage per bolt. The problem is it doesn't proc often and I'm still slower than a meleer. That wouldn't be much of a problem if I had not to use power scales to do decent damage, and thus lacking armor so much. (wow I hope I got that sentence typed right...)
    Which crystals? And, you typed it correctly, more or less.

Oh, right. Sorry, Hraefn...

Primal spells are supposedly at the top of all branches of magic, correct? So why not have there be a pretty mild spell that automatically deals effective damage against the foe? Name it whatever you like... I'm not good at that kind of stuff.
    <----clicky!

Quote Originally Posted by Favoran View Post
    Primal spells are supposedly at the top of all branches of magic, correct?
    I still have to see that written somewhere in the lore. Never did so far. I take it more than an interpretation of some points of the lore.

Primal is "raw" magic and dragons can controll it. You can say primal is white light, and all other magic arts (flame, ice, energy, nature, spirit, blight etc.) come from the white light. Like when a white crystal sparkles in all colors when you hold it in the light. So primal is the "highest" magic.

»• Adventurer 100 | Crafter 100 | Lairshaper 100 | 100 Million Hoard | Expert Dragoncrafter | Expert Lairshaper •«

The lore is from how Dragons taught Bipeds magic. I do not think it says explicitly that it is the top level. But when we the teachers do one type of magic and were said to be the best of it at the time it is safe to assume that what the student does, that never has been said any where to be better then what the teachers do, must be a lesser version. It has been said out of game that the Dragon "empire"/culture is at an all time low and that is the reason our spells and magic is not as powerful as it ounce was and is why some might see biped magic as better.

Quote Originally Posted by Takora Drakan View Post
    Primal is "raw" magic and dragons can controll it. You can say primal is white light, and all other magic arts (flame, ice, energy, nature, spirit, blight etc.) come from the white light. Like when a white crystal sparkles in all colors when you hold it in the light. So primal is the "highest" magic.
    That's just an interpretation, not a part of a written lore. And as we lack of a solid lore about that, what have other interpretation.
    I have another one. I don't say it's better, just different.

Primal magic is "raw", chaotic. Dragons can control Primal magic, but even more of that: Primal magic is part of them. Controling Primal energy is an innate ability from Dragons. Bipeds don't understand it well, because it's not part of their being. That doesn't mean Dragons innately understand it fully (just see the Primal Master quest).

Lore says that Dragons taught magic to Bipeds. But we don't know how much Bipeds learned from Dragons, and that's pretty sure Dragons didn't give all their secrets. And as Primal doesn't flow throught Bipeds' bodies, they couldn't have learned everything anyway. Just a part of it.

Primal would be more the first kind of magic than the top one. After having learned magic from Dragons, scholars studied magic from their own. And they discovered other form of magical energies: Flame, Ice, Nature, Spirit, Life and so on.
    Bipeds can't innately master all these forms of energy, even some races from their cultures or conditions are more skilled than other ones in a specific form of magic (Fiends with Ice, Saris with Life and so on). But as these magical energies were discovered by bipeds, they can be taught with a more comprehensive way to bipeds than Dragons did.

Magical energies seem to be influenced by various realms: Realm of Flame, Realm of Blight, Realm of Energy (remember this one for Ryson's Artifact?)...
    So that makes me think that other magical energies are not lesser forms of energy from Primal but other forms of energy. Primal was just the first discovered and mastered.

As I said, I don't pretend to have a better interpretation of the lore, just a different one.
    That also has the advantage to not be taken for an excuse to ask god-like spells.

Everything I've ever read in the lore, and mentioned by the devs through time points to primal magic being the 'white light' of magic; much like Takora explained. Not really the 'top' magic form, but more or less the 'first' and the most primitive form. A charotically, yet finely blended form of all magics combined.

I like your thoughts on it though, it's intersting take on it and another definite possibility since we don't have any concrete answer. (Though it'd be nice... :B)

Who's asking for god-like spells, though? The way goldburst (whatever) was described by Amon, it sounded more powerful than any spell described here. :P If bipeds get three(?) epic spells, I don't see the harm in suggesting a few for dragons.

A few ideas sprouted from reading your theory, however. I'll put them up later on as I'm out of the swing of it at the moment.

"Primal magic" is called that because it existed first. It is the raw magic from which Istara formed the world. Drulkar manifested in the Prime in order to bring his people through from the Realm of Fire, and the form he chose, the dragon, established the form his people would take. Dragons, as a race, were formed by and of Primal magic as part of assuming physical form.

The other races appeared well after Istaria was created, and thus were subject to Istara's design decisions. Non-dragons cannot use Primal because it is outside the laws that give them life.

However... (And here I can't resist pulling the curtain back a little)

Dragons have, in the past, learned to use biped magics. Most of the time, these dragons have died under the claws and flames of an angry mob...
    Klaus Wulfenbach
    Mithril Council, Chaos
    "Death is fleeting. Pride is forever."

"Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it."-- Abraham Lincoln

Oh, peachy.

The one side probably because it was felt the offending one debased themselves, the other side because they felt the offending one was trampling/invading into what was held as private or sacred.

Can't win!
    Dragon Scroll; BLIGHT~Anam, Ahleah; CHAOS~Veruliyam, Ceruliyan, Jaguarundi, Spinel, Ssussurrouss, Chon; ORDER~Aucapoma, Susurrus

Sweet so my whole back story of being the last of a Clan of Dragons that studied Biped magic and was driven off to the east is not lore breaking after all that is really cool to know. And here I just created it to tie my Beta Dragon to my current one. So then as a side suggestion if you ever do created the blighted eastern lands could you create a small valley of unblighted lands with a dragons skeleton in it please. That is where my mother rest. May she rest in peace undisturbed by the WA.

Thread Information