Thread: Dragon cargo disk trainer hints

Default Dragon cargo disk trainer hints

I'm crafter 23 atm. I installed that mappack addon and use it a lot.

Once I looked at the map searching for something I don't remember now. And by chance I noticed that dragon cargo disks trainer icon near New Rachival and Tazoon. I've already seen those unusual disks in the game so I went there and found the trainer. He started to give me quests and eventually gave me formula for disk making.

But I wonder how could I even know about his (trainer) existance without mappack? Nobody of dragon trainers mentions him. He lives in cave far from any village in the middle of desert.

May be it's worth to add some hints in the game that he is available and where he lives. If there are already such hints please let me know who gives them.

Thank you.

Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Or somewhere else...

Default Re: Dragon cargo disk trainer hints

Quote Originally Posted by Onoris View Post
    I'm crafter 23 atm. I installed that mappack addon and use it a lot.

Once I looked at the map searching for something I don't remember now. And by chance I noticed that dragon cargo disks trainer icon near New Rachival and Tazoon. I've already seen those unusual disks in the game so I went there and found the trainer. He started to give me quests and eventually gave me formula for disk making.

But I wonder how could I even know about his (trainer) existance without mappack? Nobody of dragon trainers mentions him. He lives in cave far from any village in the middle of desert.

May be it's worth to add some hints in the game that he is available and where he lives. If there are already such hints please let me know who gives them.

Thank you.
    I would greet thee, but I know thee not. And no doubt that loss is mine...

Thus and so. Elder, sky warrior, youngling... There are many such soft breezes about the land to guide thy thought. And were I seeking, then seek I would. I might see a one that bore such a disk, and ask of whence it came. If they had crafted it, they might speak of the one that had taught them craft... if no, then they might offer thee direction to the one that had.

In essence, not all the winds we follow are set to blow by gods or those not Gifted about the land... and is it not said that the question not asked is the answer not given? .

Sephiranoth, called by some ShadowSeeker
    Nobody and Nothing ever, save The Five do Feast
    A Fool that walks among the Wise

* Bows to Sephiranoth's posts lexicon and style, well above to anything he'll ever conceive *

As Amon stated some times, Istaria has it's own ways, which you may not be accustomed to.

I.e. Istaria is more of a traditional RPG game than of a "modern MMO".

Playing i.e. WoW, you are given few and canned options since character creation. You are taken by hand like a child since level 1 and corraled from NPC to NPC.
    Lore is slammed on you as you are corraled in a tour that will end at level cap.

The various game options, choices, everything, is more or less shown, precise directions given (unless the quest is "kill the 10 boars that you can see already anyway").
    The very WoW characters are weak and flat, items you can sometimes afk grind (i.e. battlegrounds) "make" your character.

In Istaria it's you who start poor, (almost) naked, with a clue given in the starting isle.

Then you are on your own, have to use the brain, have to do like in i.e. Baldur's Gate (you see NPCs, you talk with them. Not because corraled there but because you never know, they might give you quests, items, lore etc.).

You are also supposed (if you played MUDs it would be "natural") to self gather knowledge and information by asking the other players.

You always lived well enough with your old stuff. As Sephiranoth said, one day you see a guy with a funny disc, you ask him what it is and hopefully he'll give you directions.

That's the Istaria way. It's hardest - in fact WoW "players farm" make millions because having a canned life is so easy and safe. But in the end your character improves. You improve. Not items. Like a RPG.
    Vahrokh Vain - Ancient dragon level 100 adv 100 craft 34M of untainted, fireworks and other crap free hoard.
    Isarion - Reaver Healer Spiritist, many craft classes.

Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Or somewhere else...

Quote Originally Posted by Vahrokh View Post
    * Bows to Sephiranoth's posts lexicon and style, well above to anything he'll ever conceive *
    Elder and wise, this I would say. Say to thee, and say also to any other that wakes...

Bow to none. None, not one. For ye be none of better, and aye and certain none of less than any other that wakes. Rather, set ever thine eye to the far Horizons. For there waits the coming Foe and thy coming glory both.

And elder... I mark thy nature, and still it speaks of " Location: Ghost haunting the ruins of Unity.". Is this thy being and what ye would have others think of thee?

I mark no dishonour to the lost land.. and let it never be forgotten in thought and deed and spirit... as those other lost lands, as Expanse and Ice, as Spirit and all those gone... and if it be thy choosing to mark ye so, then honour to that choice.

Sephiranoth, called by some ShadowSeeker
    Nobody and Nothing ever, save The Five do Feast
    A Fool that walks among the Wise

Quote Originally Posted by Vahrokh View Post
    I.e. Istaria is more of a traditional RPG game than of a "modern MMO".

Playing i.e. WoW, you are given few and canned options since character creation. You are taken by hand like a child since level 1 and corraled from NPC to NPC.
    Lore is slammed on you as you are corraled in a tour that will end at level cap.

That's the Istaria way. It's hardest - in fact WoW "players farm" make millions because having a canned life is so easy and safe. But in the end your character improves. You improve. Not items. Like a RPG.
    Hmm... Exactly. You see I came here from WOW. BTW exclusively because of your posts on druid forums I was feral druid Nort there. It was very curious for me what "the other game" you always mentioned is. As cats can track humanoids I tracked you till here. Here I lost you because you are not humanoid in Istaria And WOW cats cannot track dragons hehe

Well, on the topic WOW was my first MMO game. And there is A LOT of information inside the game. All skill tips tell you what they do. All trainers tell you what you need to do some things. And there are also very many web sites with additional information.

Here in Istaria there is much less information. Mechanism is rather complex but is not described. I mean there are a lot of classes and skills. They are mutually interdependant. Some attributes rase some skills. But the only source of information I've found about it is horizons.gamersinfo.net which is one year out of date

I belive NPC shouldn't tell you that strength improves mining a lot. And they shouldn't tell which abilities the Knight of Creation will have and why I should even consider to become one. But I believe that kind of information would be useful on game website or in some guide or manual.

As for asking other players, well I think I just haven't used to. When I see player with dragon cargo disk my first reaction is not "Wow it's cool disk, lets ask him where he managed to get it from". My first reaction is "Wow it's cool disk, can't wait when I'll be able to make one. I guess I should grind my DCRA harder". Personal mentality I think

Onoris Welcome to the game. Please do not be afraid to ask questions in the new player channels or even in the Market channel. There are lots of helpful people lurking around that are just waiting to help.

Quote Originally Posted by Deth View Post
    Onoris Welcome to the game. Please do not be afraid to ask questions in the new player channels or even in the Market channel. There are lots of helpful people lurking around that are just waiting to help.
    Deal Thank you

Hmm... Exactly. You see I came here from WOW. BTW exclusively because of your posts on druid forums I was feral druid Nort there. It was very curious for me what "the other game" you always mentioned is.
    Grats on catching my scaly hide out there

Now, I left two very clear "tracks" on how to get the "other game" name that would require very little effort to follow and find out what it was.

The tracks were necessary not to give out the idea I was inventing this so "hyphotetical" other game with player made buildings and the more blah blah.

At the same time I had to put an IQ >= 50 barrier so that not many WoW players would follow (as you see, not many made it to Google *cough cough*) and ruin the game frail "RPG community feeling" that takes so little to break when an horde of immature WoW players would flood the chats.

As cats can track humanoids I tracked you till here. Here I lost you because you are not humanoid in Istaria And WOW cats cannot track dragons hehe
    I am easily found on Chaos, main is called Vahrokh (Sahrokh, the WoW character, is the "similarly named, non dragon alt" in every game I play).

Since you were so determined following me, I'll tell you my "true name" origin:

"Vahrokh" is the result of joining two names:

Vahstor

http://www.rae.edu.ee/~olari/vahstor...lm_Studios.htm

a massive, impressive (and better looking in reality than in the photos) red dragon I sought so much after in the past years
    (that dragon name in turn comes off
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sredni_Vashtar )

and

Arokh

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drakan:_Order_of_the_Flame

from the never forgotten game of the past, depicting an heroic girl on the mission to save his brother riding a red dragon called Arokh.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...e_Coverart.png

Here in Istaria there is much less information. Mechanism is rather complex but is not described. I mean there are a lot of classes and skills. They are mutually interdependant. Some attributes rase some skills. But the only source of information I've found about it is horizons.gamersinfo.net which is one year out of date
    See, starting directly from the "best" MMO ever made, never taught you the ways of the elder games.
    A sizable part of those games is to discover the maps, discover "what happens if I poke this in the eye?", discover secret skills.

An even more powerful game than Horizons, callled RetroMUD, has quest chains spanning IRL years and only 10 people ever seen the last boss and thus finding even HOW to proceed is almost impossible.
    Needless to say, those even partially into that quest (my main in that game, Vahrokh (!!!) a red dragon king there, has done some bits of that quest) are considered godlike.

Horizons / Istaria is MMO and thus is 5000 times easier than said RetroMUD, yet it's still difficult to people who started with WoW, so much is automated and evident there, it's why it's considered the "starter MMO".

Also remember, how "lesser" games don't have 300 programmers (Blizzard's main workforce) and innumerable content creators: the updates come after years and thus content cannot be given out completely easily.

Mechanism is rather complex but is not described.
    I suggest, I REALLY do suggest that you thoroughly read

http://community.istaria.com/forum/f...play.php?f=137

and every and all the sticked threads.

You'll learn how you are basically a dead man that for "some reason" (detailed in lore) reborns. Totally dazed and confused, you meet a guy somewhere saying how you are a "gifted" and you'll save the world.
    This is alike some of those classic sci-fi books where you start alone and stranded and have to discover everything of an alien, unknown word by yourself and the hard way.
    This is intended. You are supposed to have to earn your existance.
    The typical WoW player will go WTF, scream on the chats (in the unlikely case he figured out how to join one and that he'd not be banned off it already due to his guttural caveman tones) and leave.
    Who remains are better players. Better, not in the WoW definition of "great twitch player" or "skillz0rz arena ninja" but as selected persons in search for a story. A story that becomes them, that improves THEM and their characters. Gear here is something they pass to you, it's usually not even attuned nor BoP. Because here it's not gear, but YOU who count.
    In WoW you could be a dual warglaives Rogue and be a total *** and failure at humanity yet all would cheerish after you.
    Here, no one gives a crap for 500 warglaives, and you are way better being a good person *inside* or the community will drop you. Then you are dead, you failed, you can as well quit.

Remember:

WoW: gear > spec > class > skill.
    Horizons: community > you > skill > class.

When I see player with dragon cargo disk my first reaction is not "Wow it's cool disk, lets ask him where he managed to get it from". My first reaction is "Wow it's cool disk, can't wait when I'll be able to make one. I guess I should grind my DCRA harder". Personal mentality I think
    Nah, it's not personal mentality, it's just WoW mindset sticking.

Relax. Forget the materialistic and very non "role play" motto "items > all".
    Enter the "other players > all". This is the MMO part working together the RPG part, both strong, both needed.

When I posted "I upgraded to another game" on the WoW forums, I was referring to this. Istaria is not "better" as "software", not at all. It's better as people and at immersion into a role you play though, and this is something no world class yet soul-less piece of software can give you.

I belive NPC shouldn't tell you that strength improves mining a lot. And they shouldn't tell which abilities the Knight of Creation will have and why I should even consider to become one. But I believe that kind of information would be useful on game website or in some guide or manual.
    There are guides out there, detailing what you say, exactly on this forum. Check Chasing's "manuals" stating tons of information aimed at dragons but that are 70% pertinent to non dragons as well.

Once again, Horizons / Istaria is not even trying to follow WoW. The developers "AmonGwareth" and Velea answered this to my suggestion about making quest NPC show their "quest giving out" status on the map:

Players also need to learn early on that they have to explore, they have to talk to others in the community, and take time to get to know the world. Handing them everything early on "trains" them wrong for what to expect later
    Sure, I was just arrived off WoW (so I was still "warm" on its ways) but I felt like a complete idiot when I suggested simplicistic WoW ways.

I forgot how WoW is a MMOrpg aimed at a precise target, while Istaria is a rounded MMORPG.
    Vahrokh Vain - Ancient dragon level 100 adv 100 craft 34M of untainted, fireworks and other crap free hoard.

I recommend you follow Vahrokh's outline, but if you want a jump start on some of that hefty reading, follow the link in my sig and peruse the guides that seem relevant. Yes, many of them are on the gamersinfo.net site that hasn't been updated since EI took over, but as the author of a great many of them, I can attest that the guides are still relevant.
    Exploring is a necessary skill, and its not like death is fatal. At least, not for the gifted.

I couldn't agree more Vahrokh.
    The really one thing that makes Horizons/Istaria survive onto the battlefield of MMORPGs is the simple fact that the community albeit small is so dedicated, closely knit and very mature community. Istaria has a community where you can let your little kids roam around freely without the fear of exposing them to a harsh world.

I also have the feeling that Istaria will survive WOW by a lot of years.
    In any case: Onoris welcome to our world.

Salis

Quote Originally Posted by Salis View Post
    I couldn't agree more Vahrokh.
    I also have the feeling that Istaria will survive WOW by a lot of years.
    In any case: Onoris welcome to our world.

Salis
    Istaria will survive WoW for one simple and logic reason: WoW is a successful business venture whose scope will end the day it stops being economically viable.

Istaria, instead, already failed. Istaria is living beyond economical viability, beyond technology viability (in fact it's graphics are outdated, its servers old, its client unchanged since 2006 and unable to run on Vista). It's living on people who love it, a value that is really really slow to expire.

As far as the OP's want for there to be some _hint_ as to where to go, I support this.

Those of you saying that WoW is nothing more than being walked through the game like a child, I don't think I'd really to _that_ far and say That. They give you hints of where to go, sure, but they don't really hold your hand the entire way. It is just that quests naturally lead you along in a direction.

Now, in Istaria... okay, you create a dragon character, they lead you along, just like WoW does up until the point you reach Gerix (who can be really hard to find for the first-time player, being he is ONTOP OF A BUILDING you cannot get to as a hatchling). he sends you to trainers in Dralk and Chiconis. Okay, that is all good and all.

But, as you get on in the levels, the trainers stop telling you where some of the quest mobs can be found, and you are left wondering "um, okay, where is this stuff?" or the directions they give are just plain wrong (I don't know if it was fixed thusfar or not, but one of the Dimension Pocket quests says Southwest when it is actually Southeast or vice-versa, I forget which).

Anyways, as the OP says, nothing points to the Cargo Disk trainer. Nothing in-game tells you that it even exists, whatsoever at all. There should be SOME quest, or NPC somewhere in Dralk or Chiconis who mentions this dragon, just like the Lairshaping. I'd stick it on the Crafting Trainer, just like the Lairshaping is.

Having to rely upon outside sources to know what the heck to do in-game isn't what I'd call good design practice. A game should be autonomous, and stand-alone fully, and outside sources should only be needed to make things easier on someone. Anything found in outside sources should be able to be found within the game, somewhere. Without outside sources, and/or sheer luck in stumbling across the said NPC, there's no way anyone is going to know about this cargo disk trainer.

Those of you saying that WoW is nothing more than being walked through the game like a child, I don't think I'd really to _that_ far and say That. They give you hints of where to go, sure, but they don't really hold your hand the entire way. It is just that quests naturally lead you along in a direction.
    Not the entire way?
    I raided Sunwell. The tank? Obviously a warrior and a druid, in other places it's only a warrior as explitic mechanisms are put to forbid another choice.

The healer? Some shamans must be taken, no choice. for the massive raid damage. Also, on Brutallus, you must stack a "win" setup or fail.

PvP aka arena? You MUST use a stacked combo or you are to sweat 5 times as hard, not 1.1 times as hard.

"Spec"? You MUST go after one of the canned 2-3 class cookie cutters, else you'll just be worthless. Completely.

Anything found in outside sources should be able to be found within the game, somewhere. Without outside sources, and/or sheer luck in stumbling across the said NPC, there's no way anyone is going to know about this cargo disk trainer.
    While I agree on putting more newie aids, remember that the game is made by a third party, with their "philosophy" (and oh boy, if they pay hard for some choices!).

One of those choices is to consider the community as one main source of information, as important and needed as the game facilities. Actually, the lack of information is a nice kick on people to have them socialize around. Having everything readily available would just make for a remote yet single player game.

Thread Information