Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ships and boats? :P

Default Ships and boats? :P

I know it's been said before in other threads, but I hate ressurecting old threads for 2 reasons:

1) I've been told it's annoying and
    2) It doesn't get your point across the same way I think. Should ask for opinions on that sometime

So, anyway, boats! Or ships. Perhaps being produced with one or more biped crafting schools, probably existing ones; maybe with some minor components made by dragons too.

Perhaps farther out to sea, there would be more elusive high-tier fish or such that confectioners can gather or such. You could have two types of boat--a simple fishing boat which would be sorta more basic to make, and ships, which are completely higher-tier material. If there was a way to limit how far out they could go, maybe fishing boats could go a little way off shore and ships could go anywhere at all on the sea. :P

I'd also think only bipeds would be able to board. :O

I suppose there might also be a way to tie this in with having specificaly biped-areas, if there were islands without portal that you had to enter via ship, so flying dragons couldn't get in.

It'd probably never ever happen, and to be honest I don't ever expect it to, but it's still a nice something to think about :P

~Galde

Default Re: Ships and boats? :P

Great idea, Galde. Just as a reminder, though...

Post your thoughts in the appropriate forum or topic. This allows the conversation that is a thread to flow rather than being derailed by off topic, or new topics, on posts. Likewise when considering starting a new topic, look to see if others have the same thoughts as you and post on the thread they started rather than start a new one.
    And in the clarified rules section:

If a thread exists on a topic, use that topic to post your thoughts and questions. Having multiple threads on the same topic is confusing for everyone. If you have a question it's often the same as what others either have asked, or are thinking of asking, and so it is much easier to answer the question once than on multiple threads. Discussions work the same way.
    Also I can safely, however, say that it is not ever going to happen in the game Istaria: Chronicles of the Gifted. This sort of game system has to be a part of the game's concept long before release for many reasons.

The same technical limitations that prevent dragon riding would apply in this case as well. Not to say that it's impossible, just that the current tech doesn't quite support riding something, be it a ship or a dragon.

I don't think you'll be able to get to a racially sequestered area via a ship and be able to keep dragons out. The options available are redwalls and land surrounded by inactive sectors. Inactive sectors will trigger a forced recall if your character crosses into one, be it a dragon or biped on a ship. (They're also an eyesore since they don't have terrain.) Redwalls, besides being annoying, do little to keep out anyone mildly determined to get in.

That being said, boats in general could be something fun and give the bipeds a chance to cross the sea like a dragon. (It's really not all that exciting :P)

The game engine is SOOOO not capable of handling ships...

First lets get "real" water and oceans in..

Drev

Quote Originally Posted by Drevar View Post
    First lets get "real" water and oceans in..

Drev
    I did wonder about hooking up a small pump and sprayer to the computer so that when you get near the shore, you'd get mists of water squirted in your face. Though, I don't think that's what you meant.

As far as lore goes, there currently are no more boats in Istaria due to the Water Golems. No one is foolhardy enough to go out in boats anymore (an NPC on the docks in Dalimond can tell you more about this). Also, the Portal system has made movement of people and goods easier and more efficient than by boat.
    Grandmaster of Flame: Simultaneous solo of 4 Phantom Mages, 2 Death Dealers, 1 Ogre Bodyguard
    Siggurd's Protégée: Smelting 1600+

Oh... alright, sorry about that then.

~Galde

No reason to say sorry Galde For a moment it was a nice vision
    What would we all be without visions and dreams?
    YOU told me to play a dragon!

As another note, the main seafaring race, the half-giants, used the materials from their ships to create their first structures when they escaped the Long Winter. They believe that they can't return to their homeland until they can reach it without crossing a body of water.

I don't know if there are notes on current Mahagran philosophy, but this does lend to interesting stories. There may be varying beliefs that the Mahagrans are still a seafaring people, thus their worhip of Daggarth, *** of Strength and the Ocean. And opposing views coulb be that they should NOT worship Daggarth if they do plan on one day returning to Trandalar. And with the thawing of the snows in the Valley of Repose, there is always a possibility.

Hmm, now my mind is bouncing around quest ideas/stories for the Mahagrans.
    Grandmaster of Flame: Simultaneous solo of 4 Phantom Mages, 2 Death Dealers, 1 Ogre Bodyguard

Quote Originally Posted by GalemThawn View Post
    As another note, the main seafaring race, the half-giants, used the materials from their ships to create their first structures when they escaped the Long Winter. They believe that they can't return to their homeland until they can reach it without crossing a body of water.

I don't know if there are notes on current Mahagran philosophy, but this does lend to interesting stories. There may be varying beliefs that the Mahagrans are still a seafaring people, thus their worhip of Daggarth, *** of Strength and the Ocean. And opposing views coulb be that they should NOT worship Daggarth if they do plan on one day returning to Trandalar. And with the thawing of the snows in the Valley of Repose, there is always a possibility.

Hmm, now my mind is bouncing around quest ideas/stories for the Mahagrans.
    Amon provided some additional background for Half-Giants a little while ago which I posted on the Half-Giant Wiki page - apologies if you've already seen it. Might fill in some gaps?

Thank you Stale,
    I've seen most of that information in one form or another, but one thing I hadn't seen was, "To this day the Half-Giant people worship no one, even Daggarth, but the punishment as they see it imposed upon them by the Mountain god has stuck with them and they feel the shame of their betrayal and loss of their homeland"

I do disagree with some of the 'phrases' (not with you, but with them being official)

The elves were only put into slavery by the Trandalarans for 59 years. And that practice ended 978 years ago.

The 'Kion Fire Sale' or 'Kion Prices', if used in current practice, shows continued anamosity between the two races. The Saris slave practice ended roughly 715 years ago, but had lasted 361 years.

If the Mahagrans really do use these phrases, they would be a great offense to the Elves and Saris.

Thank you Stale,
    I've seen most of that information in one form or another, but one thing I hadn't seen was, "To this day the Half-Giant people worship no one, even Daggarth, but the punishment as they see it imposed upon them by the Mountain god has stuck with them and they feel the shame of their betrayal and loss of their homeland"

I do disagree with some of the 'phrases' (not with you, but with them being official)

The elves were only put into slavery by the Trandalarans for 59 years. And that practice ended 978 years ago.

The 'Kion Fire Sale' or 'Kion Prices', if used in current practice, shows continued anamosity between the two races. The Saris slave practice ended roughly 715 years ago, but had lasted 361 years.

If the Mahagrans really do use these phrases, they would be a great offense to the Elves and Saris.
    Actually, almost 100 for the Elves. 1051 B.R. to 953 B.R.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

1051 is when the Trandalarans first began raiding Kion.
    I didn't think they raided the Elves until 1019 when Feladan was sacked and burned. Actually, looking back, the timeline shows raids, but doesn't specify the Trandalarans capturing Elves for slaves.

1051 is when the Trandalarans first began raiding Kion.
    I didn't think they raided the Elves until 1019 when Feladan was sacked and burned. Actually, looking back, the timeline shows raids, but doesn't specify the Trandalarans capturing Elves for slaves.
    The timeline reads:

"Half-Giants from Trandalar begin raiding Kion and the human settlements along Dalimond Bay. Their massive longships are ideal for exploration as well as plunder, enabling the Trandalarans to send expeditions around the Dalimond Peninsula and even as far as the island of Dikaina. Trandalaran expeditions east from Trandalar encounter heavier ice floes, but are still able to map out most of the northern coast of both Western Aradoth and Eastern Aradoth."

So they likely encountered the elves and probably raided them, since thats what they did.

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

True. The timeline doesn't specifically mention elves, but I should have checked where the island of Dikaina is.

I'm definately not one to argue with you since you wrote most, or at least some, of the history.

Yea, it doesn't. I should probably clarify. But they were exploring the coastline even into eastern aradoth at that time along the south. Feladan really wasn't what it is now at that stage, it had no walls.

Also I can safely, however, say that it is not ever going to happen in the game Istaria: Chronicles of the Gifted. This sort of game system has to be a part of the game's concept long before release for many reasons.
    The same technical limitations that prevent dragon riding would apply in this case as well.
    I thought that dragon riding was part of the game's concept.. or well, I heard it was, the dragons being designed that way and everything... XD I'd need clarification on that though. Would dragon riding ever be possible?

~Galde

Quote Originally Posted by Galdethriel View Post
    I thought that dragon riding was part of the game's concept.. or well, I heard it was, the dragons being designed that way and everything... XD I'd need clarification on that though. Would dragon riding ever be possible?

~Galde
    Sorry, it wasn't part of the concept. It may have been mentioned at some point, but as a pony list (tm) item. There would be LOTS and LOTS of technical hurdles to overcome to implement mounts, not to mention quite a bit of art.

THis is carried over from another thread that was discussing dragon riding...
    Somthing just seems wrong with the problems that I heard about at least with dragon riding... doesn't seem like you would have the net latancy train problem if when a player hopped on a dragon, a completely new model was used or somehow they were bound together so they worked as one model that incorporated both the rider and dragon and was represented on all clients that way as one unit controlled only by the dragon instead of two independant units, the second client would attach it's camera to the new unit wherever it thought that unit was. Granted, the pair would be a bit farther behind on one client than another, rather than the rider floating along behind as I understood was the problem, but that's no different than latency with standard charactors right now. Does this make any sense?
    Last edited by CallakDW; February 10th, 2009 at 02:29 PM.

* snuffles curiously*
    [Visit The Order Underground]

I would've thought that it wouldn't really make too much difference because there's only one model. So maybe the biped would be viewing a model that's a bit behind that the dragon sees, but I don't really see too many problems because... more or less they're the same, right? What problems could that cause? :O

When I'm flying alongside another dragon, I'll be in front on my screen while they'll be in front on their screen, but it never actualy harms gameplay at all. I know nothing about this sorta thing, though but... :/

~Galde

Thread Information