Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Devs from the past or just experienced programmers?

Acul, Trandalar and Tagath's in Mala, Genevia Island

Default Re: Devs from the past or just experienced programmers?

*grabs Rawdge and pulls him kicking and screaming back out from under his rock*

Get out here! You've been missed too!
    C`gan Weyrsinger, blue Tagath's rider, WorldProjects Team Lead Emeritus
    Tagath, blue Lunus "for the breath weapon"
    Located in sunny Acul on Trandalar, Order shard

Amon posts occasionally CallakDW. Rick and Reyem (and others?) seem to always post on the HZCS forum account. It really throws me to see a single poster use different grammar and spelling like that . Or maybe it is just one person with multiple personalities.

I dig into things until my curiosity is satisfied or I hit an impenetrable wall and can not proceed further without assistance. I have some programming experience, and a great deal of curiosity. I poked at the client looking for reasons for poor performance for ages on the outside before being allowed into an internship at Tulga.

I was able to see some of the code, and was almost responsible for two changes, that turned into being responsible to half of one change that is still live:

1) Dead things lying at the angle of terrain to help prevent sinking into hills. [was slightly buggy, and fixed by someone else]
    2) Dragons taking flight when falling from a sufficient height. (cargo-disk carrying dragons that wanted to jump off cliffs as a short cut complained)

So I know a tiny bit about the code, enough to know that I would never envy the job of he who must clean it up.

I made the maps currently seen in game, and might be called upon in the future to make some updated ones now that the game is in development again... though more than likely Jason E can just fix the current sector-snapshot code to output the tiles used for maps at equal or better quality to my own offerings.

I have an idea of some of the limitations and potentials that existed, largely through my constant pestering of people asking why this or that couldn't be done at this time (besides the obvious manpower issue)

These days I'm a bit too busy to comment though much of the time, which is why I've been a bit more silent than in the past.

Wow, thanks for posting, Fridlekh in fact thank everyone that has had a hand in the game for posting in this thread and telling what they have done, I personally feel a lot more enlightened as to where the information I've seen is coming from and why, I'm sure others feel much the same way.

* snuffles curiously*
    [Visit The Order Underground]

Rawdge! When are we going back for Banana pancakes?!
    I'm a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class, especially since I rule.

Quote Originally Posted by Amadan View Post
    Rawdge! When are we going back for Banana pancakes?!
    I love seeing that bunny. ^,,^

* snuffles curiously*
    [Visit The Order Underground]

About Menkure's reluctance; if you feel strongly that you might be boring readers, you could write an initial "executive summary" paragraph, and then follow up with the extended reasoning.

I thought your example of the walkway endcaps was both interesting and exceptionally well-written, and would always be glad to read more of the same. For those who don't find such information interesting... well that's what the scroll wheel is for.
    ____Kulamata Quality Armor___
    None Genuine without this Pawprint `',''

Achiever 86%, Explorer 60%, Socializer 46%, Killer 6%.

As Kulamata said.

The "TLDR" people are usually the executives, their job is to decide and fast, they rely on your professionality so they won't ask you "why".

For the rest, it was a pretty normal issue and yes, it could be probably (need to have the DB schema in hands to be sure) fixed with a proper update query, something like

UPDATE XXXX SET origin_x = origin_x + delta_x, origin_y = origin_y + delta_y where object_id = [id of that 3D piece].

It'd be way harder in case the piece is freely rotated and placed in 3D space (I don't recall those details any more, aren't things just "posed on terrain" in Horizons?) as you'd have the piece to be re-inclined to fit into a 3D smoothness with the rest. But still probably doable - just not economic worth to fiddle with trigonometry and stuff.

It'd be way harder too, if that piece (just theorizing on possible scenarios in a MMO) actually got a child relation vs other pieces somewhere else while still being a stand alone piece poseable as is. Then you'd have to visit all the 3D structures to reposition it.
    Vahrokh Vain - Ancient dragon level 100 adv 100 craft 34M of untainted, fireworks and other crap free hoard.
    Isarion - Reaver Healer Spiritist, many craft classes.

Thread Information